International MDing - Japan?

MikeSD

May 28, 2007
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience/info on MDing in Japan? I know they have laws preventing most types of digging for artifacts/archaeological objects but I wonder about metal detectors.

I have access to a lot of private property in Japan and was wondering if their laws might be similar to here. That is, if you have permission it's ok. My wife's family still has land that has been in their family for hundreds of years.

Upvote 0

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Must be O.K. as a365mac and Dave N on this forum detect there.

OP
OP
M

MikeSD

May 28, 2007
U.K. Brian said:
Must be O.K. as a365mac and Dave N on this forum detect there.
Interesting. if 365mac or DaveN read this, perhaps they could add comments.

My wife's family just tore down a house that had been there for over 150 years. It is in a small mountaineous valley where residents (less than 10 houses) families have all lived there for hundreds of years. It's very unusual as almost all have the same last name and aren't related. I could probably get permission from all of the residents, to search, assuming it's legal. I'm going back later this year. I go back to Japan every couple of years.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should take a machine and sort out permission when your there. I haven't got to Japan yet but have seen a number of beach finds. The only thing that did worry me is that they do have a large gold panning association but thinking about it I've never heard any comment on metal detectors for gold hunting in Japan.

a365mac

May 5, 2007
Japan
Hi,
As I posted on another thread....I'm not really knowledgeable on the legalities here. I have only been detecting on public beaches so haven't given it much thought. If I were to work inland I would think the detectorist/treasure hunters code would serve well. If you are detecting on private property the owner's permission should be all you need. I'm still trying to locate a Japanese detectorist club to get more local info and will share it on this site if I locate one. I have read in a diving magazine here that all items found underwater are the property of the government and that you aren't supposed to remove anything. I don't know if that is true in practice though. Anyway, good luck to you and please keep us posted on what you find!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
My hunch is, that if you asked enough lawyers, bureaucrats & consolates, in Japan - you'd probably find someone who'll say "no, you can't metal detect here". That would be no different than if you asked enough USA lawmakers. Reason is, they're maybe thinking in terms of shipwreck salvor laws, historic monuments, federally owned land, etc....

The reality is, in probably every country on the planet, that if you don't stick out, aren't a nuisance, and lay low as a casual hobbyist (aren't tearing apart pyramaids, etc...) no one cares less (until you ask) JMHO.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread