Park Ranger with nothing better to do.

MarySeminole

Dec 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I detected in front of a gov. building and a disgruntled citizen pulled into the parking lot right in front of me with his "partner".
I wasn't making a mess or digging trenches. I walked to my truck and put my detector away and right then, the Power Ranger showed up and parked right next to me.
It was obvious that I irked the "couple" and I left.
Don't people have better things to do?

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is not correct. Lots of federal land (like NFS and BLM for instance) is not off-limits to metal detecting. And state lands are not off-limits "unless you have express written permission" . Where are you getting this ? We hunt state of CA beaches till we're blue in the face (and no, it doesn't need their "permission"). FL too they hunt state beaches ad nauseam. And for inland state parks , there's lots of states with no specific prohibition. Fed and state land is getting detected all the time, over all the 50 states.

Florida state parks are open only on beaches for detecting and can be put off limits by park ranger if desired. These beaches are few, couple on east coast and couple on west coast.

Majority of Florida beaches are owned by citizens of Florida and open for detecting. All state parks inland are off limits as are all Federal property including National Forests.

Some Natural Recreation areas and some national forests are open for detecting, some are not, no National parks are open for detecting and most BLM lands in the west are open.

whitjake

Oct 12, 2013
Warren, Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold bug 2, fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with ya Mary....like the cops don't have anything better to do!! Maybe they just need to go have a donut or arrest a jaywalker....something really important.:thumbsup:

Being arrogant against cops is not wise. The jokes are not funny at all.

whitjake

Oct 12, 2013
Warren, Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold bug 2, fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
--federal govt property in most cases is "off limits" to detecting -- state govt land are also often off limits as well without "express in writing permission" and while asking forgiveness is often easier than asking permission , the officer might not be in a "forgiving mood" that day and you might get ticketed and your gear taken away -- or even worse .... arrested for "trespassing" and damage to public lands if he's feeling real "frisky 'that day...sadly if busy bodies call the cops --the cops got to go to where the dispatcher sends em to and "check it out" ..the cops are just doing their jobs ... the real problem is the "buzy bodies"..in the first place..and bs laws ..

I thik that the OP was referring to buildings and the grounds that surround them. One cant go to the White House and simply MD the grounds surrounding it just because its Federal Land. I swear most writers on this topic are stretching things too thin and need to bring it back.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I removed some of My Posts & Responses to them, In order to keep the Peace
tongue3.gif

please keep things on Topic ! & Non Political !

Even though the title says "Park Ranger with nothing better to do."
The Thread is about Being Chased , aka detecting laws.

Last edited:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
I used to know a retired cop in Dallas who told me stuff they did on night patrols like
driving down alleys going 50 mph dragging cardboard boxes making it sound like WW3.
Just good ole boys having fun. But we did have law and order back then and detectorists
were not badgered and mostly ignored. Another place another time.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I removed some of My Posts & Responses to them, In order to keep the Peace :tongue3:

please keep things on Topic ! & Non Political !

Even though the title says "Park Ranger with nothing better to do."
The Thread is about Being Chased , aka detecting laws.
peace_on_earth.gif
Yea - me to - I had one of my moments! :)

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Threads like this make me so happy to live in Mt. Never had a cop mess with me. In Hungry Horse Mt the forest service has a big facility, there was quite the town in the 30s through the 40s. They let us detect the whole place just not around the new office. Actually never had any negativity at all from any authority types.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Threads like this make me so happy to live in Mt. Never had a cop mess with me. In Hungry Horse Mt the forest service has a big facility, there was quite the town in the 30s through the 40s. They let us detect the whole place just not around the new office. Actually never had any negativity at all from any authority types.

Sounds like a "real" nice place.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a "real" nice place.

I don't know if you are being sarcastic or not. I've been hunting state parks and federal land with 0 problems. I read these post saying you can't and I have to believe they just aren't asking. Forest service law enforcement officer showed me where a CCC camp was and said good luck.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if you are being sarcastic or not. I've been hunting state parks and federal land with 0 problems. I read these post saying you can't and I have to believe they just aren't asking. Forest service law enforcement officer showed me where a CCC camp was and said good luck.
As stated the laws vary state to state, Example, National forests in Florida are off limits but legal in many western states.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

no... I was not being sarcastic.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually it is the nature of the beast with type.
Typing a comment is not the same as saying and hearing it.
Much is lost and leaves a gap in some instances.

That's why we invented the telephone :P

But... for this purpose of a huge amount of folks essentially involved in the same conversation(s)... from all over the world...
text is better. :)

So...
With that being said...

Onward through the fog.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread