Close to my pistol on my own property.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's under the tree on the right..... wait maybe it was the other tree..... no I think it is under the rock. Damn CRS!

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Not in the ground, that's for sure. You might get dementia and forget where you put it.

OP
OP
hey_ad_man

hey_ad_man

Mar 23, 2015
Northern California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Story goes, old prospector stopped at a nearby adobe for resting, stashed his loot somewhere that day and after returning that evening he had died from health related issues. The prospector knew he was gonna be sick and couldn't guard his gold, so he thought he'd come back to it.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well...
Was the prospector from this area?
In other words...
Is this his property ?
Or random location in his path ?

What makes you think "this" is the area in other words.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a hidden treasure of gold coins at Castle Crags?
May 21, 2014Historydsmith
Only Nancy knew. She was an Indian woman who lived near Castella. She also had a cabin somewhere on the old Whalen Station Road supposedly about one-half mile west of Highway 99. As the story goes, Nancy would suddenly disappear and then reappear a few days later with $20 gold pieces. Where did they come from? No one ever knew because her secret hiding place died with her in 1912.

If this story is true, the gold coins could have come from one of the many pack trains that were attacked by the Indians during the days of the Gold Rush. This was at a time when the Indian people were starving. Indians had no use for gold or gold coins. What they wanted and needed was the mules – to eat. And the leather harnesses. There are stories of the Indian robbers flinging and throwing gold coins from the leather bags across the canyons and also of hiding the coins in caves. If Nancy’s story is true, could her coins be from one of these robberies?castle crags from girard ridge road, 10-07 (3)

Here's the story I heard about when I was a kid....only it was gold nuggets that she came packin' to town instead of gold coins....

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
General "rule of thumb" IMO on cache's is...
Look for what stands out...
Or...
What could be remembered... in order to return to retrieve it easily.
Ask yourself standing around out there...
"where would you hide it... so you could come back and easily identify where it was."
You must also fit this same thought along side another thought...
And where will I not be seen doing it.

Start there.

PS> Oh... and btw... two look like two angles of the same and 2 look different...
What gives?

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Under the fence post on the right. :laughing7:
Marvin

OP
OP
hey_ad_man

hey_ad_man

Mar 23, 2015
Northern California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well...
Was the prospector from this area?
In other words...
Is this his property ?
Or random location in his path ?

What makes you think "this" is the area in other words.

It was not his property. My guess, is he wasn't from the area and was passing by. I'm assuming heading west from the gold fields. He stopped at the Adobe, seeking rest. Guessing he was getting sick or had an injury. Report goes, he left the adobe that morning with his gold to stash it and returned empty handed, only to die that evening from his illness/ailment. I can't authenticate the story, but the adobe still exist to this day.

Pictures are random google images of the area, so the reader can get the idea of the scenery.

Last edited:
OP
OP
hey_ad_man

hey_ad_man

Mar 23, 2015
Northern California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is there a hidden treasure of gold coins at Castle Crags?
May 21, 2014Historydsmith
Only Nancy knew. She was an Indian woman who lived near Castella. She also had a cabin somewhere on the old Whalen Station Road supposedly about one-half mile west of Highway 99. As the story goes, Nancy would suddenly disappear and then reappear a few days later with $20 gold pieces. Where did they come from? No one ever knew because her secret hiding place died with her in 1912.

If this story is true, the gold coins could have come from one of the many pack trains that were attacked by the Indians during the days of the Gold Rush. This was at a time when the Indian people were starving. Indians had no use for gold or gold coins. What they wanted and needed was the mules – to eat. And the leather harnesses. There are stories of the Indian robbers flinging and throwing gold coins from the leather bags across the canyons and also of hiding the coins in caves. If Nancy’s story is true, could her coins be from one of these robberies?castle crags from girard ridge road, 10-07 (3)

Here's the story I heard about when I was a kid....only it was gold nuggets that she came packin' to town instead of gold coins....

this is the old prospector who stopped at pena adobe and then hid his saddlebags full of gold in the hills of South Vacaville

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I said... go there... and just start looking for a place that YOU might really stash some gold.
I would say a crevice... with rocks...
Dirt hole would have stood out so "under a rock"... etc etc.
Use you imagination...
AND...
Your hands and legs... :P

By the way...
IF you use any or all of my suggestions in finding this "cache"...
I expect my "commission" to be sent asap after the finding :P

OP
OP
hey_ad_man

hey_ad_man

Mar 23, 2015
Northern California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Like I said... go there... and just start looking for a place that YOU might really stash some gold.
I would say a crevice... with rocks...
Dirt hole would have stood out so "under a rock"... etc etc.
Use you imagination...
AND...
Your hands and legs... :P

By the way...
IF you use any or all of my suggestions in finding this "cache"...
I expect my "commission" to be sent asap after the finding :P

practical steps, thanks. Send me a friend request and if I find anything, I'll hook ya up haha

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....and remember, he was sick, so where would you bury something like this if you were sick??:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread