Old detector in parents attic, where to start learning about this stuff?

electro_dave

Jan 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi.

I have an old detector in my parents attic, from looking around online I think it is a Micronta 3005, got it from my gran for my birthday one year, but never got much use out of it because it needed too many batteries.

Planning on digging it out and having a play, my mum has a field where lots of change has probably been dropped due to drunken parties, maybe some deeper stuff too.

Got detector, place I work has small, light, solid looking spades, so I think I'm set for equipment. Is there some place that explains how to interpret the sounds it makes, or is it just trial and error? Have read about making a test site, but have no space to do it.

Anything else I should know, good websites to read, generic tips/advice?

Only time I have been out detecting is when I was a small boy with my grandads really simple detector, no adjustments, it just either beeped or didn't. Found lots of small change, that I later realised had been planted for me to find, and a little gold coloured toy teapot thing.

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome !

Just a Guess but I think the Micronta only has 1 or 2 Tones.
if 2 Toes High tones would be most coins , brass Silver Etc.
Low tones would be Gold, Nickels, Can tabs , iron Etc.

Anyway. as for websites, Your at the Only website worth reading :thumbsup:

Jef

Last edited:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Throw some change on the ground and a couple rings etc and swing away. You will learn the tones real quick.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi.

I have an old detector in my parents attic, from looking around online I think it is a Micronta 3005, got it from my gran for my birthday one year, but never got much use out of it because it needed too many batteries.

Planning on digging it out and having a play, my mum has a field where lots of change has probably been dropped due to drunken parties, maybe some deeper stuff too.

Got detector, place I work has small, light, solid looking spades, so I think I'm set for equipment. Is there some place that explains how to interpret the sounds it makes, or is it just trial and error? Have read about making a test site, but have no space to do it.

Anything else I should know, good websites to read, generic tips/advice?

Only time I have been out detecting is when I was a small boy with my grandads really simple detector, no adjustments, it just either beeped or didn't. Found lots of small change, that I later realised had been planted for me to find, and a little gold coloured toy teapot thing.

Welcome to Tresurenet! :hello: I was doing some simple searches just now and found this page. It's a bit hard to read the way it's formatted, but it might be useful for you:

Radio Shack 63-3005 VLF

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And as far as batteries go...
Invest in rechargeable batteries and a couple of chargers...
Wal-Mart and a few others carry em as a set which is the best way to go... including charger set I mean.
Also Batteries plus used to carry the sets... not sure if they still do.
Energizer over Duracell when choosing... IMO.

You will save yourself a ton of money in the long run.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet! Don't expect too much from that machine. If it needs any kind of repair I'd forget about it. Even with no repairs needed, the new batteries will double the value of the detector IMO. There are so many good entry level machines out there that will run circles around that one. Good Luck!

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to Tnet! Don't expect too much from that machine. If it needs any kind of repair I'd forget about it. Even with no repairs needed, the new batteries will double the value of the detector IMO. There are so many good entry level machines out there that will run circles around that one. Good Luck!

I agree. My wife bought one at a garage sale, Still in the box with the Radio Shack price tag of $39.95 thought it would be neat for the Grandson. That thing is impossiable to use!! The batteries it takes to make you mad are worth more than the machine. Find a entry level
machine so you can ENJOY your time hunting. This one will discourage you quick!!! Anyone want mine.....................$30, shipped

OP
OP
E

electro_dave

Jan 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cheers guys.

"And as far as batteries go...
Wal-Mart and a few others carry em as a set which is the best way to go... including charger set I mean."

My comment on batteries was how it was when I was a kid. Much older now, will start with normal disposables, and if I enjoy it enough to be worth the time, it's going to be no problem to knock up some sort of heavy duty external supply from junk I have laying around. I'm in UK, so no Wal-mart here.

"If it needs any kind of repair I'd forget about it. Even with no repairs needed, the new batteries will double the value of the detector IMO. There are so many good entry level machines out there that will run circles around that one. Good Luck!"

I know the detector I have is pretty low quality, but it worked last time I looked at it and if it needs any repairs I will be able to do that myself. The reason I'm planning on doing a bit of detecting is that I need something to entertain myself for very little cash, and I figured the best way to do that is go out and use the equipment I already own.

"Find a entry level machine so you can ENJOY your time hunting. This one will discourage you quick!!!"

I won't bore you with the details, but I've had some health problems, so what you call entry level will be far too much for me. I need to buy a new vehicle before I can buy toys.

What is the problem with the Micronta? I know it won't go very deep, and I don't know the proper metal detecting word for it but it sounds like it is quite unstable, but for the first site none of that will matter, I'm looking for modern coins dropped in the last ten years. I don't need descrimination, metal or not metal will do.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
right :thumbsup:

as long as it gets you out the house and entertains you ;
you win :thumbsup:

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like you're in the UK? If so, I would get the best detector I could affort..crazy amounts of history there.

Edit: missed the low on funds part. Use what you've got...you'll have a blast. One small find could buy that new car! Good luck!

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cheers guys.

"And as far as batteries go...
Wal-Mart and a few others carry em as a set which is the best way to go... including charger set I mean."

My comment on batteries was how it was when I was a kid. Much older now, will start with normal disposables, and if I enjoy it enough to be worth the time, it's going to be no problem to knock up some sort of heavy duty external supply from junk I have laying around. I'm in UK, so no Wal-mart here.

"If it needs any kind of repair I'd forget about it. Even with no repairs needed, the new batteries will double the value of the detector IMO. There are so many good entry level machines out there that will run circles around that one. Good Luck!"

I know the detector I have is pretty low quality, but it worked last time I looked at it and if it needs any repairs I will be able to do that myself. The reason I'm planning on doing a bit of detecting is that I need something to entertain myself for very little cash, and I figured the best way to do that is go out and use the equipment I already own.

"Find a entry level machine so you can ENJOY your time hunting. This one will discourage you quick!!!"

I won't bore you with the details, but I've had some health problems, so what you call entry level will be far too much for me. I need to buy a new vehicle before I can buy toys.

What is the problem with the Micronta? I know it won't go very deep, and I don't know the proper metal detecting word for it but it sounds like it is quite unstable, but for the first site none of that will matter, I'm looking for modern coins dropped in the last ten years. I don't need descrimination, metal or not metal will do.

By all means, use what you have..........................Enjoy and happy hunting!!!

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Based on these reviews I'd trade it to the first kid with a roll of paracord and a hard drive magnet, or a Treasure Truck.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Based on these reviews I'd trade it to the first kid with a roll of paracord and a hard drive magnet, or a Treasure Truck.
From my experience I'm pretty sure these were actually made by Tandy (Radio Shack aka Rat Shack) before Bounty Hunter started building them for them.

The best use for it is to tape a Swiffer pad on the loop. :tongue3::tongue3::tongue3: At least you could look cool searching for dust bunnies!:laughing7:

Yehuwdiy

Jan 6, 2016
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Nugget Snoop Pro, Garret Euroace
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome! Playgrounds are a great source of change. The ones with bark are easy to dig as well :) I found over $700 in my first few months, $60 from one playground! Probably more competition where you are, but hell enjoy and when you upgrade you can go back to those old sites and find even more. I did.

In the playgrounds with bark I ran all metal all the time - no discrimination. Amazing the things you dig up. Plus, with a cheaper machine (I started out with a cheap machine also) when you remove all of the junk some of the better stuff is then easier to find. This is also true when using a better machine but I feel more applicable when using a cheaper machine. Plus, once you've 'cleaned' a site you can go and hit it hard and quick whenever you want without having to think too hard. I like the Zen of the swing more than thinking about tones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions