Please mind your own business.

MarySeminole

Dec 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
School was closed on Saturday and I was minding my own business, when a school custodian showed up to tell me that the last time someone detected there two years ago, the cops showed up to take him away in bracelet's.
I wasn't finding anything anyway so I did the right thing by not escalating the situation and just walked away.
There wasn't any signs prohibiting detecting and I've been there plenty of times before, always making sure not to make a mess and fill in the small holes.
I'm so tired of people.
Just leave me alone please.

Upvote 0

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You just keep drinking that Minnesota Moonshine TRF! :thumbsup: Be sure to videotape yourself screaming "the law doesn't prohibit it!" as the Police haul you off to the pokey! :laughing7:

Terry - I'll start sending you Pic's of my Gold and Silver school finds, kids in my area wear gold & silver rings, ear rings, necklaces etc. - Sometimes I get the chance to return items also. Win Win.

The Moonshine is working good!!! :thumbsup:

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
School was closed on Saturday and I was minding my own business, when a school custodian showed up to tell me that the last time someone detected there two years ago, the cops showed up to take him away in bracelet's.
I wasn't finding anything anyway so I did the right thing by not escalating the situation and just walked away.
There wasn't any signs prohibiting detecting and I've been there plenty of times before, always making sure not to make a mess and fill in the small holes.
I'm so tired of people.
Just leave me alone please.

For all we know, maybe that person taken away in handcuffs 2 years ago was already wanted for something completely unrelated to metal detecting.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe where you are from. Principals in my area have the right to boot. I even checked with City Hall... it wasn't for MDing, but for use of a field. Turns out the ordinances in the city authorize the Principal and Assistant Principals as the "designated authority" for a the property. They can call the police and have you cited for trespassing if you refuse to leave. Careful with blanket statements like that. They don't apply everywhere...

Skippy
The key phrase in your statement is "they can call the police and have you cited for trespassing IF you REFUSE TO LEAVE" (my emphasis). Just don't refuse to leave or be a general pain. Come back another day at off hours.

canyon

Feb 11, 2006
I think some of these people need to be reminded as you are leaving just who pays their checks.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I think some of these people need to be reminded as you are leaving just who pays their checks.

Sure. And so too do we pay police men's checks and so forth. But that doesn't address the issue. Their "check" (ie.: their job) allows them some level of authority to get their job done. And that "level" contains a degree of interpretation to implement as conditions merit. Why do you think there's vague laws, like laws that forbid "annoyances" ? Or blocking sidewalks, etc.... Because it's truly impossible to create laws to address EVERY SINGLE THING THAT MIGHT COME UP in the field. Therefore laws are written with a little bit of flexibility of wording, to apply to a myriad of circumstances that might arise in the field.

And with us, it's the age old dreaded "deface", and/or "alter" type verbage. Someone could understandably think (incorrectly so mind you) that you are about leave a hole or scar. But rather than trying to convert them and win their approval, just avoid them and pick lower traffic times. The old "this is public" and "I pay your check" lines will not work.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, and to illustrate that point, go try and put a stop payment on that person's paycheck!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminding a police officer who pays their check always goes over real good...NOT.. :dontknow: Good way to be sure your always harassed.....

Barkeater26

Feb 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe that's why I was arrested while trying to dig in the White House Lawn.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Maybe that's why I was arrested while trying to dig in the White House Lawn.

uh, is this just a joke, right ? If not, I hope you see the difference between the "white house lawn" versus "anytown USA's elementary school yard". :)

Digger Max

Oct 27, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030
E-TRAC
ATPro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All of you have forgotten what was learned in the 1st grade.
Raise your hand when asking permission.
PROBLEM Solved. HH

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
with the "issues" folks have about schools --and kids safety --these days --the only time "metal detecting" can safely occur is when the "kids" are not there -- a creepy child molester type could use the guise of being a detectorist to hang around a school ..so schools often think keep ALL "outsiders" away from the kids at all times * ... which makes it hard to do our hobby ...add to the problem that some detector folks are slobs and do not properly cover their holes and damage the grass with poor digging methods (ticking off the grounds keeper type folks) and that some folks by their nature are just busy body pain in the butt types that get off on bothering others ( control freak types) and you got the trifecta of NO

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of you have forgotten what was learned in the 1st grade.
Raise your hand when asking permission.
PROBLEM Solved. HH
That only applies when you know permission is necessary. Leave the room to use the toilet, yes, to cross your legs under the desk, no. When it comes to detecting sites, the rules are spelled out in the local, state, and federal codes. Just look them up rather than pester a desk jockey having a bad day. Even on a good day, they'll likely take the easy way out and say No, even when there is nothing prohibiting it. Why would they want to put their job on the line by saying yes? Especially when they don't know for sure what the rule is either without looking it up.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been run-off a bunch. It's easier just to pack up and leave. That way there's no escalation. Escalation = bad, and you lose.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Without knowing his demeanor when he approached you, it's hard to interpret his intention. He may have been being straight up with you and telling you what he witnessed, or he could have been on a power trip. As to permission, since you have already been asked to leave by staff, it would be wise to go to the principal or superintendent for written permission. The worst thing that will happen is you get a no. Actually, I would start with the principal since a "no" from him would only apply to his school while the superintendent would likely apply district wide. I've been booted from a school before, 5 cruisers showed up. My friend and I even had permission (but not in writing in our possession), it turns out some civilian called the 5-O on us because they thought we were up to no good.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Also, the cops were really nice about the whole thing. They were pretty interested in the hobby and the only reason so many showed up was they happened to be patrolling and saw the original two units that arrived. It probably helped that we greeted them with a smile and respectful attitude.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread