Sep 5, 2013
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking to find the best waterproof entry level model. Finally gonna just jump in and get into this hobby. I am looking for a universal detector I don't wanna be limited to not using it in the water.

Also if anyone knows any clubs in Illinois that would be help full as well.

Thanks!!
What is your budget?

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Just read a thread that cabelas has the ATPRO on sale for $399. That's a great deal, and it's a great all use machine. Problem is the thread said they saw only one left. Give it a try. Great deal!! And it's a mid-level detector.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$300-400 I'd prefer to stay closer to $300
Your not going to find a water detector also good on land for $300. You need a min of $500 unless you stumble on used ATPro and even then next to impossible for $300.

OP
OP
E

enjoyyourday3

Greenie
Sep 5, 2013
Would a fisher f2 or the EuroTek pro be a better option then? And just stay away from water. From the little research I have done it sounds like it's hard to find a spot in Illinois that your aloud to detect on.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
F44 has a manual ground balance which i would recommend. $350.00 Not sure about the Euro Tek.
Marvin

Bluebird

Greenie
Sep 30, 2012
Berks PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter SS2 --&-- Garrett Master Hunter Deep Seeker VLF/TR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excalibur 2 I have a silver dime I bring to throw on the ground to make sure my detector is still picking it up. I was in a dry creek bed and wasn't picking up the silver dime. I was told that the Excalibur 2 can help rectify that issue? I can't afford one and I know your strapped, but cool machine to look/learn/dream about.

OP
OP
E

enjoyyourday3

Greenie
Sep 5, 2013
Excalibur 2 I have a silver dime I bring to throw on the ground to make sure my detector is still picking it up. I was in a dry creek bed and wasn't picking up the silver dime. I was told that the Excalibur 2 can help rectify that issue? I can't afford one and I know your strapped, but cool machine to look/learn/dream about.

I am trying to get into the hobby I'm not looking to spend that kind of money when there is a chance that I hate it. Or can't find any places to use it. Illinois seems pretty strict on not letting you use it in a lot of places.

OP
OP
E

enjoyyourday3

Greenie
Sep 5, 2013
Your not going to find a water detector also good on land for $300. You need a min of $500 unless you stumble on used ATPro and even then next to impossible for $300.

What about the Garrett Ace 350. That's waterproof and will work on the beach right?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What about the Garrett Ace 350. That's waterproof and will work on the beach right?

No. Look, you need to spend $600.00 for an entry level waterproof machine like the AT Pro, or the Tesoro Tiger Shark. There is no way around that. Most of us have several detectors for use in different places,looking for different things. They are like golf clubs. You can putt with a driver, but you're gonna get beat every time.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, it's not waterproof and it's not a saltwater detector, its a single freq VLF, it can be used on salt beaches but it struggles with the salt environment........

OP
OP
E

enjoyyourday3

Greenie
Sep 5, 2013
Sorry, it's not waterproof and it's not a saltwater detector, its a single freq VLF, it can be used on salt beaches but it struggles with the salt environment........

I read that the coil is waterproof is that just a bad site description. I am just trying to find a decent dectector to get my feet wet in the hobby that's not gonna get destroyed if I run by a puddle. Is a fresh water beach a no go with this model? I live by Lake Michigan.

wjr75

Jan 1, 2016
IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,
Bounty Hunter Snooper II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Illinois also and just bought my son the Garrett Ace 250 for Christmas from Big Boy Hobbies. It included the Lesche 40-50 buck digging tool which was a nice addition for a total of $200. It indicates that the coil is water proof but if you drop the electronic head in water it is probably toast. I'm interested in buying the ATPro for myself this spring and I agree IL looks like that the bureaucrats have taken over as far as metal detecting goes.

OP
OP
E

enjoyyourday3

Greenie
Sep 5, 2013
I live in Illinois also and just bought my son the Garrett Ace 250 for Christmas from Big Boy Hobbies. It included the Lesche 40-50 buck digging tool which was a nice addition for a total of $200. It indicates that the coil is water proof but if you drop the electronic head in water it is probably toast. I'm interested in buying the ATPro for myself this spring and I agree IL looks like that the bureaucrats have taken over as far as metal detecting goes.

I looked up Michigan cause a friend of mine has a place there. They have a lot of places and parks open. Might be a good weekend trip for you and your son. But as far as Illinois looks pretty much no go

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The new Fisher F22 or F44 are somewhat waterproof (not submersible)and would be excellent starter machines. Most all manufacturers coils are waterproof.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1453209926.698694.jpg

Last edited:

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Unfortunately, IMO, your going to be unsuccessful/disappointed with a $300 budget.... if you want a TRUE waterproof machine, your starting at $600 or so...altho I HAVE seen $300 Tesoro Tigersharks on occasion.

You are in Il...ergo, I presume your 95% freshwater when in water. Now...caveot: I AM a Tigershark fan-boy. I admit it... I can't find ONE reason to say anything negative about that detector given what it's designed to do...and thats hunt in fresh water. It is, imo, hands down, the best freshwater metal detector on the market. It finds the smallest gold that other detectors at 2 and 3 times the price miss. It's bulletproof...bought new, lifetime warrantee....and no aftermarket shaft to use in the water. It's light on land, and just plain freakin works. IMO, you simply cannot buy another detector for freshwater hunting that comes close..even at 2x's the price.

It's winter...you have another 3 months to save your pennys....hold out, and get the proper tool for thye job. it'll pay 10x's over.

( tempted to sign this Terry the 2nd...) lol

Ag

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this previously, but don't know what happened to my post.

You should look at Ex-Military Mine Detectors like the Vallon VMC-1 "Gizmo" or the Schiebel MIMID. Vallons are more common, I have a Schiebel because it is waterproof to 100 feet. Both of them fold up so they can actually fit in your cargo pocket, and they are both Pulse Induction. They are designed to find minimum metal anti-personnel mines. To test them, they come with a 1.9inch piece of wire in a plastic block. It is supposed to find that at 7.5inches. A tiny piece of wire at almost eight inches is great. I just let Carl Moreland at Fisher/First Texas borrow mine for several months, and he was quite impressed.

Mike

OP
OP
E

enjoyyourday3

Greenie
Sep 5, 2013
I posted this previously, but don't know what happened to my post.

You should look at Ex-Military Mine Detectors like the Vallon VMC-1 "Gizmo" or the Schiebel MIMID. Vallons are more common, I have a Schiebel because it is waterproof to 100 feet. Both of them fold up so they can actually fit in your cargo pocket, and they are both Pulse Induction. They are designed to find minimum metal anti-personnel mines. To test them, they come with a 1.9inch piece of wire in a plastic block. It is supposed to find that at 7.5inches. A tiny piece of wire at almost eight inches is great. I just let Carl Moreland at Fisher/First Texas borrow mine for several months, and he was quite impressed.

Mike

I deff like the sound of that. Only bad thing is I can't find any used on eBay or in my quick google search. But I'll keep my eyes out for sure.
Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread