PaJim

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Land Ranger Pro
Whites coinmaster

Garret AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to the hobby, so please excuse any ignorance on my part... I just had a property owner contact me with several acres with old buildings, some already in ruin state. Sounds kind of promising depending on if it's been hit before or not. I of course asked what the buildings were, how many acres, and if it's been hunted before. The thing that threw me was that he asked how much I would pay per acre. Is this common? I understand why a property owner would want money for someone else to dig on their land, I was just curious if that is common practice. If it is common, how much do you pay?

Upvote 0

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, got his response..... In his words.... "$20 your f*cking crazy!"

I responded with an offer of $100 per acre. If he accepts it, I'll just copy and post his email back to him.

Sweet- I like your line of thought.

PluGGLife

Dec 21, 2015
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab e-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, got his response..... In his words.... "$20 your f*cking crazy!"

I responded with an offer of $100 per acre. If he accepts it, I'll just copy and post his email back to him.

Don't pay $100 per acre to hunt! You might not even find $100 worth of stuff, and I would assume you would hunt more than 1 acre. I would rather keep hunting public parks for free and only find clad and the occasional ring.

Don't do it ! Even if he comes back and say yes to your offer. Just tell him you changed your mind and don't want to pay period.

Dagger Woods

Apr 29, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro Int'l
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I don't understand the level of indignation being expressed by some posters here.... although I wouldn't want to pay an "admission fee" to hunt someone's private property, either, I do see where this would be the logical progression of things, and wouldn't be surprised to encounter it. I certainly don't think that the price I paid for my machine & accessories also includes the free access to everyone's private land.

After all, as already mentioned, with the recent publicity of md'ing shows and especially the YouTube videos, and "documentaries" on astounding ancient hoards being discovered.... or caches of gold coins in trees or under rocks... people are going to start to rethink allowing strangers on their property to metal detect scot-free. Whether or not the "fee" is fair will depend on the honesty/greed of the landowner.

Usually, when obtaining a permission, some sort of negotiation is expected, is it not? Why is it so outrageous that someone has started to be upfront about it? Sure, so far many if not most property owners will say "Don't worry about it" but that is naturally going to start changing.... just as soon as word gets around that some md'ers are willing to pay for the privilige, and private property permissions get harder and harder to come by, this will more and more change over to being the accepted norm. The slippery slope in action. We have seen the future.

OP
OP
P

PaJim

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Land Ranger Pro
Whites coinmaster

Garret AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not really going to pay anyone $100 per acre... The second he responded with swear words, I knew I didn't want to be on his property.

Dagger Woods' response is why I asked the question in the first place. It doesn't seem outlandish to me that someone would ask a fee. I'm simply a newbie and didn't know if that was standard protocol yet or not. I offered to share any finds, but he was persistent on taking money. That tells me he doesn't really care what's there, he's only after money. I kindly explained that most of what I find is trash that I dispose of for free, plus a 70 mile round trip and not so much as a guarantee that anything is there to be found means it's not worth my time to pay more than the $20 I offered him.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would pay $100/acre to hunt with Cru [emoji4]

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
I have one property, that if I was getting resistance, I would bring out the cash. It's where I grew up. Figure it's the only way I'll get my toy's back.:dontknow:

PluGGLife

Dec 21, 2015
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab e-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea I see the point about negotiation here but all within reason. You are right about his response and not wanting to hunt on his land. There has to be common ground where all parties are left happy.

I am new to this hobby as well. I would would offer up splitting my finds if it was a really good place to hunt. @digger460. I have the same situation with the house I grew up in only it is now abandoned. I need to figure out if the city owns it and I can hunt it. I tried to find public tax records on it but none were listed. Probably because no taxes have been paid on the property for some time now.

JBM

Nov 10, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This practice is spreading in the UK.

It all rather sad as folks just go on the internet and pay their entrance money for the dig.

My generation used to do finds boxes for the farmers to hand down to future generation's but this will cease over the next few years.

The attitude by the younger generation is fast becoming pocket all you find as you paid your permission for the day.:dontknow: Jerry.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I "ever" discuss permissions with a land owner, I "never" discuss money. Someone usually gets burned when there is money involved.

It's a 50/50 deal. He has the land, you have the equipment and KNOW HOW to retrieve it's underground holdings. He gets "first choice" on a 50/50 split. (if two diamond rings were found, he gets the one he wants first, you get the second). Yes it's his property. But everything you find was "lost". and not necessarily by him or his family. You don't need him as much as he needs you. There is a lot more land for you to hunt than hunters for him to find.

If that's not good enough for him, leave it in the dirt. Our time is valuable (to us and others).

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I keep it simple...recreation vs Business. If I'm out for ME...it's because I enjoy it. On the other hand...I also have a search and recovery business. You call me...want me to look for something?...simple. $95 an hour 4 hr minimum, .55 a mile and expenses. Oh...and NO guarantees.

Freakin entitlement based society hasn't a LICK of common sense...sighs

Ag

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I keep it simple...recreation vs Business. If I'm out for ME...it's because I enjoy it. On the other hand...I also have a search and recovery business. You call me...want me to look for something?...simple. $95 an hour 4 hr minimum, .55 a mile and expenses. Oh...and NO guarantees.

Freakin entitlement based society hasn't a LICK of common sense...sighs

Ag

Get a lot of business at those prices? I can see deep sea detecting getting that. But at $400+, a man could get a nice detector and do it himself.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Offer him a loaf of fresh baked bread each time you go over to hunt. Have a loaf in hand when you make the offer and smile.

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have a strong moral stance on this, offering to pay only hurts the hobby and our future. Your first offer was more than reasonable. This person sounds like a greedy puke trying to make a buck out of anyone on anything.

Last edited:

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
95% of my recovery and search work is water based... I have thousands of dollars invested in equipment, and hundreds of hours in learning to do what I do... You wouldn't hire a gardener to build your home would you? I have a specific skillset, and when you need it, you need it. I don't believe that to be unreasonable...

To answer your question...yes...I have alot of work at those prices. It's Jan, and I already have 5 search/recovery jobs scheduled for May/June, or as soon as the ice is out. I have a unique skillset, and during the swim/boating season, it's quite often called upon. Do I BILL...that new bride who dropped her wedding ring in a lake that averages 10" of silt over marl bottom and is literally sick over the loss? Our the grown man who dropped the camera with the SD card full of his Stage 4 cancer mothers round the world trip pictures on it and is reduced to tears when I pop up and ask.."this belong to you"?.... or the grandfather who dropped his cellphone with the pics of his now deceased grandson while fishing....( just a few examples from last summer alone) Just because I can doesn't mean I should. Or do...
Yeah..I charge $95 an hour and .55 a mile for water work. It's better than the other guy who is $1600 a day and expenses. Funny thing is...I'd rather take a cup of coffee and a sincere "TY" than bill you to the tune of hundreds or thousands of dollars.....( I REALLY hate doing billing)....GAWD how I hate accounting work lol.
Do the right thing....we all know what it is when we see it. It's not rocket science. Sometimes ya can't put a price on a cup of coffee...

Ag

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well ag, I'm glad for you and finding a way to profit with your detectors. I think most all of us here see our hobby as fun and the profits of our labors is what we unearth for ourselves. I've had a few people over the years ask me if I could help them locate a lost ring, ear ring, etc., but I never charged them. For most detectorists, it's the reward of self satisfaction by providing satisfaction. Not that what you are doing is wrong though.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Our the grown man who dropped the camera with the SD card full of his Stage 4 cancer mothers round the world trip pictures on it and is reduced to tears when I pop up and ask.."this belong to you"?.... or the grandfather who dropped his cellphone with the pics of his now deceased grandson while fishing....( just a few examples from last summer alone) Just because I can doesn't mean I should. Or do..."

Wow!! What you wrote above, says it all....good on you agflit!! People like you make the world a much more nicer place to inhabit.:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions