What a few trips of MDing looks like when you dig everything...

Murray8144

Aug 20, 2015
Essex County, NJ
Detector(s) used
eTrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
very informative - thanks for posting. i often wonder when I see folks' finds how much trash they had to pick through to get the sweet stuff. nice ring btw

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
those pics are exactly why some of us choose not to dig everything.....lol

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Skippy,

It looks like my hunts....lol....most of my sites have been heavily hit so to keep finding keepers I have to dig a lot of junk.

Just the nature of the beast.

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Skippy,

It looks like my hunts....lol....most of my sites have been heavily hit so to keep finding keepers I have to dig a lot of junk.

Just the nature of the beast.

Regards + HH

Bill

Totally feel ya. I might have been one to skip digging everything, but I never know what's going to pop out based on signal alone. I have a general idea, and 99% of the time, I am right... And then I get surprised. That peridots ring rang up. Solid 77.. Just like a dozen pennies I'd previously picked up. Swore it was going to be a penny, too!

Pop tabs and nickels ring the same. And the 13 gold rings I found last year ALL surprised me. The value of clad last year as about $700. I've more than cleared that value alone in the gold value of the rings I've found. Add the diamonds and the prices go up. In the process of selling some now, but it's clear to me. I make more money dogging everything that when I don't.

Skippy

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like about five-hours. Also looks like Discrimination set a Nickel. Nice illustration.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Skippy,

Some members on another forum laugh at the volume of pull tabs and other junk I post......well the way I figure it the melt value of the rings in my avatar is worth about $1,500 or 3 times the price of my every day machine....that's a lot of clad...lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

Totally feel ya. I might have been one to skip digging everything, but I never know what's going to pop out based on signal alone. I have a general idea, and 99% of the time, I am right... And then I get surprised. That peridots ring rang up. Solid 77.. Just like a dozen pennies I'd previously picked up. Swore it was going to be a penny, too!

Pop tabs and nickels ring the same. And the 13 gold rings I found last year ALL surprised me. The value of clad last year as about $700. I've more than cleared that value alone in the gold value of the rings I've found. Add the diamonds and the prices go up. In the process of selling some now, but it's clear to me. I make more money dogging everything that when I don't.

Skippy

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too am guilty of digging everything most of the time. I have a lot of time on my hands.
Marvin

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff, but did you at least cherry pick all the quarters and dimes before you started digging trash? Places I hunt no need for a MD, just use the TRX on hands and knees and you could dig trash all day long and never take a step. Would not be fun for me.. god bless ya!

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My gosh that is a lot of trash! I need to make a note to myself to be better about digging all good signals next year. Nice finds.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, I normally go through my finds and put all the crap in a 5 gallon bucket (that I keep in the van) and then do a quick clean for the days hunt pictures. Once the bucket is full I give it to a scrapper who works at the plant or it just goes in the trash. I do keep lead, copper, and brass for recycling. By looking at the total amount of targets you dug, I doubt if you ever get to stand upright. I have never dug that much in 5 hours. Five hours is 600 minutes, the pictures of all dug targets has to exceed 600 items, that means you are digging more than 1 target per minute. Congrats on all your finds. You certainly pulled your share of clad and some nice bling. :occasion14:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
You are tough as nails brother! I could only dig about 25% of that trash before I got tired! Looks like you dug 200 holes. Dig you count total holes?

I have gotten better about digging the iffy signals, and it pays off, in the long run.

Congrats on the peridot, that is a sweet little find!

Last edited:

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus, Garrett GTI 2500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems like the right person on the wrong place :)
great job man
remember to use the 2 euro when you come to europe. can buy an icecream :laughing7:

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have to respect the dig-it-all guys. They work hard at their hobby and they do find some nice stuff. I'm still pulling more keepers per hunt by digging selectively at my sites, but if advancements in metal detector technology continue at their current snail's pace, I can definitely foresee a time when digging everything may be the only option left.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Of very serious note here, Skippy has been on this site just short of a year. Seems I remember when he began he really was new, and had many questions. But over the last 6 months I've been so impressed with his finds I've posted my respect for him several times - he's had some great finds!

And, you look at his pictures and you can understand his success. Skippy puts in the work and lets very little slip past him.

Once again Skippy, you've become one of my heros! Congrats.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
You are correct, Terry.. When I say "dig everything" I mean everything foil range and up. I should have noted that. No iron for me.

But don't forget, 20# of iron from back in the day, is worth more then most coins found. (What's wrong with that picture!)

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, I suspect that's true..> My hunt areas, though, are modern parks. If I'm finding iron (I used to try to find interesting things), they fell into the category of "bulldozer ends and pieces," "Lawnmower blades," "Soccer goal spikes," and the ever popular "Front quarter panel of a truck" (I'm still not sure how THAT ended up under the sod).

After digging that kind of iron for months, with no actual "relics" coming out of the modern soccer fields, I gave up, and now discriminate.

Wish I was in an area that had a longer history than 70 years. And 30 years ago, when my Dad grew up here... there were less than 5,000 people. Now there are 77,000. with over half that growth in the last 10 years. This of course, explains why all of our parks are "modern" and installed in the last decade. :)

OH... and one other thing... 20lbs of Iron in my bag makes for a sore hip an hour later. I've done that, too. LOL

Cheers,

Skippy

You are killing it skippy! Congrats. However it has to be there to find it. I try to dig everything above iron, but after many, many hours of trying this (about 5 years) & still digging mostly clad and a bunch of trash, I revert back to digging solid, repeatable signals in the nickel up range. You have inspired me however, to give it another shot! Sometimes reading a post like yours is what one needs to fuel their fire for the hobby. Keep it up, & Thanks. HH

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It feels that way, somedays... Last year, I pulled 127 rings though.. It works out.

I'd prefer to be having the 5 ring days, though, over the no ring days filled with pop tops.. Ung... Just had one of those yesterday. My son went with me and took the ACE350. The kid was KILLING IT on the quarters. He just kept running across them. Dumb luck sometimes trumps hard work. Came home with about $5 to my $2 in 3 hours... Was painful.

Ace 350 goes NUTS on coins. When I upgraded to the AT Pro from my Ace 350 my clad finds actually went down :(

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus, Garrett GTI 2500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about the difference between pulltabs and rings! I've noticed that the vdi numbers jump from 52 to 56 or 58 to 62 and its a pull-tab. For the rings i've noticed that the vdi is more stable. Can it be the way to make the difference?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread