PaJim

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Land Ranger Pro
Whites coinmaster

Garret AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok....I finally got a permission from the state park down the road from me. I was actually a bit surprised since there's historical significance to the park, I didn't think they'd want detectors there. But it's allowed none the less. Here's the email back to me

Metal detecting is allowed in the park. Shovels, spades, garden trowels, and other similar tools may not be used to dig into or turn over ground areas that are covered by turf, vegetation, shrubs, or trees. Permissible digging tools are screwdrivers, ice picks, and other similar narrow pronged devices. Any objects you find that may be of historical significance should be taken to the park office

My question is.... how do you dig with a screwdriver? I would think that makes a bigger mess than digging a nice little plug. Any tips on doing this? Thanks!

Upvote 0

markt67

Dec 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pa Jim . I have the same issues here with most parks and schools this is what I use I've got a old hunting knife with a stiff blade about 4 inches long does not need to be sharp .just poke in and cut you out a nice cone . Works real nice .light and easy to carry in a sheath .nobody gets upset with this because they don't see a digging tool.

Apr 11, 2013
Wyoming Valley. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just started metal detecting a few years ago but I've done various other treasure hunting activities for the past 25 years. my tool of choice trowel.png masons' trowel . The blade is dull but super thin and perfect for cutting plugs or making small incisions that are virtually invisible .Word of warning , they are not made for prying or bending and can easily snap where the handle and blade are welded together. That being said, They are inexpensive ,easy to use and come in many other shapes and sizes .

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
....I will probably send a report of what was found and ask them if they want anything.....

ok, then a further question to you: In their original answer to you, you said they had this sentence (from your O.P.):

"Any objects you find that may be of historical significance should be taken to the park office ..."

Do you know if that's actually written anywhere, in any park rules/laws ? Or just commentary by whomever is answering your inquiry? Here's what I mean: So too is this distinction evident in the FMDAC listing. There's a single "yes" or "no" in all 50 states columns. And sometimes the various supposed rules are indeed backed up by actual citation of law . However, looking closer, you see several states where, upon closer scrutiny, it's merely the person answering it that drew on something "catch-all", or their personal opinion of "harvest/remove" or "alter/disturb" verbage.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you go into ANY park or beach admin . office, of ANY type entity in the USA, and ask "should I turn in items of historic significance?", you'll undoubtedly be told "yes, you need to do that". But alas, people are finding old coins all the time.

And I also wonder if, let's say you did find old historic objects, and were dutifully turning them in, then I wonder if it would just be a matter of time, before this info makes it's way up the pipeline to a purist state archie (tasked with reviewing/assessing them). And he might be AGHAST that "yahoos are out digging in the park , hurting the context, etc...."

Yes I would most certainly turn in all historic finds, if commissioned like for a historical society research, etc.... But as for run-of-mill parks and school yards, forests, etc.... I think that you just got the canned answer type thing. Same for the "don't disturb or dig" type answer: well, gee, NO place in ANY park, if you asked "can I dig?" is gonna say "sure".

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the letters I got from my local state park.
Dear Park Patron,

The reasonable use of metal detectors is permitted in many state parks. Metal detecting is not permitted where this activity would conflict with a facility in use. Metal detecting is not permitted within fenced areas of swimming pool complexes (state operated or concession operated). At many parks, metal detecting on beaches and in lake swimming areas will be permitted within a reasonable distance of shore from the Tuesday after Labor Day until the Saturday prior to Memorial Day. During the summer season, metal detecting in beach and swimming areas will be at the discretion of the park manager based on his knowledge of the use and type of facility. Metal detecting in other underwater areas will be permitted within a reasonable distance of shore if it does not conflict with other activities or have the potential for causing damage to the facility.
Many state park areas, including Ridley Creek, have the potential for the recovery of valuable historical objects. State park areas with this potential may have part or all of their area closed to metal detecting. The finding of historical objects in any state park area should be handled by first contacting the park manager of the particular park. In addition, persons should consult the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission if they are seeking or find historical artifacts.
Shovels, spades, garden trowels, and other similar tools may not be used to dig into or turn over ground areas that are covered by turf, vegetation, shrubs, or trees. Permissible digging tools are screwdrivers, ice picks, and other similar narrow pronged devices.
*Individuals who want to use a metal detector in a state park must receive prior approval from the appropriate park office and report items which are found/removed from the park.
The above guidelines only pertain to state park lands. Persons should contact the Pennsylvania Game Commission, Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission and/or the DCNR Bureau of Forestry for guidelines applicable to their lands.
Thank you for your interest in state parks.

Then there is also the carry around permit that went with this .. parts deleted for obvious reasons:

Please use this letter as permission to metal detect in Ridley Creek State Park. In addition to following all park rules and regulations, please adhere to the conditions of the accompanying letter.

Do not detect around any occupied park buildings, including but not limited to the horse concession area, the mansion/park office, maintenance shop, the Colonial Plantation, and rental houses. For your safety please stay out of any ruins or remains of old buildings.

Keep this letter on your person while conducting your activity and be prepared to show it to a park ranger if requested.

So most of the time I am there, the office is closed.. and I have yet to find a historically important bottle cap..

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Youre probably not gonna find any items of historical significance,including old coins, with a screwdriver. In my experience, all these type of items are at least 5" down but more like 7+". I dont see how you can recover such items without cutting a large plug.

OP
OP
P

PaJim

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Land Ranger Pro
Whites coinmaster

Garret AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt anything historical will be found. Theres picnic table area, parking lots, and ruins. Maybe some clad, silver coins...who knows

Sent from my N800 using Tapatalk

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cut a slice in sod, pry the sides out, pinpoint and recover target using screwdriver, recovered many this way, works best when you have good pin-pointer...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread