Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dumbest complaint ever.

So I'm detecting a vacant lot next to a verizon central office in broad daylight. The office has been there since the 60's so I was hoping to find an old coin, or maybe an old GTE item. It's about two blocks from my house.. so I'm detecting a lady comes out and says "THAT IS PRIVATE PROPERTY YOU CAN'T DIG HOLES THERE". I say, yes it is, but it's owned by verizon and I am friends with an employee who told me it's not a problem to look around with my detector. Also, fwiw, I am not digging holes. If you look around you won't find any holes. I'm just spreading the earth with a blade and then closing it back up."

Her reply (this is great): "Well, we are trying to get the city to give us this lot for a community garden. I don't think anyone would appreciate you digging holes in it!"

WAIT WHAT?

"I'm pretty sure if you are going to plant a garden YOU are going to be digging very large holes, and probably ripping up most of the grass. Besides, as you said it's private property. It's not a community garden, and it will probably never be a community garden because it's owned by Verizon. BTW, I am also the head of the neighborhood watch. How long have you been in the neighborhood? (answer, 3 months).

Things eased up from that point. But seriously.. some people feel the need to complain about anything with no logical reason! OMG someone is sticking a knife in the ground in a vacant lot covered with weeds and dead grass. Better call the po po! Sheeesh!

Upvote 0

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I researched a corner lot in an old town that was vacant. The Church across the street owned it, so I went in the Church and asked permission - They said no problem, have fun! The guy that lived on the other side of the lot came out screaming at me as I was detecting. I calmly told him that I had permission from the owner. He still wanted me to leave..........

You can't win in this hobby - no matter what you do :dontknow:

I know I was in the right, though it still ruined my day.

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I researched a corner lot in an old town that was vacant. The Church across the street owned it, so I went in the Church and asked permission - They said no problem, have fun! The guy that lived on the other side of the lot came out screaming at me as I was detecting. I calmly told him that I had permission from the owner. He still wanted me to leave..........

Don't let it ruin your day, if your right your right. Not his property so not his business, let it ruin his day. Some people have way to much time on their hands. It's like this rental Ive been fixing up with a friend of mine, its in an HOA, its been vacant for 8 years and had all kinds of tweakers in it. The minute we pick it up and start fixing it and gosh raising the value of all the houses around it we get some debbie downer on the street calling the hoa complaining were not fixing it fast enough, posting fake craigslist ads for free stuff getting our material and tools stolen and actually coming up to us and telling us what we need to do with the property. You can imagine the last one ended up with me telling them to pound sand and if they want to do anything they can fork over some cash to pay the help to get it done faster, of course they turned down that offer. Like I said though, some people don't know their place and need to butt out of others business...

Cassews

Dec 29, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett/White
Primary Interest:
Other
I would have said " I'm just looking for body parts"
----------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey now that is my quote for snitty people .. LOL YES I have used that a couple of times when people have been nasty to me. It has worked.. well except the one time I had to bat my eye lashes at the police man who thought the whole thing was quite comical. Umm Sir she is just metal detecting, has a signed permission form and the owner's permission.:-) :-)

Last edited:

Cassews

Dec 29, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett/White
Primary Interest:
Other
Note to self add this one to the metal detecting quotes when people ask me what I am : Looking for bank robbery loot from long ago. OH that is a must ... Thanks !!! :-)

Cassews

Dec 29, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett/White
Primary Interest:
Other
Some people have an opinion, and by God, you're gonna hear it. The world according to them. I married one of those.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OMGoodness that sounds like my inlaws (Hubs's parents) and by God you are gonna live your life their way..like it or not ... <rolling eyes>Yep I am not their favorite daughter in law either !LOL Oh well cannot please them all nor do I try to !LOL:tongue3::hello::icon_thumright::BangHead:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
The word is spelled fricking. I looked it up. Surprised to see it was an actual word. I thought it was a substitute for another word. You know which one.

It's Fracking, and yes, it's a bad word.

S

stefen

Hell, wear a light jacket or vest with BOMB SQUAD on the back side...or something to ward off the looky-loos...

Add a helmet to add to the drama...

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Fracking? No it's frickin' or fricking or frick and yes it is a substitute for the F word. Fracking is the process of drilling into the earth and using high pressured liquid to extract gas from rock.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fracking? No it's frickin' or fricking or frick and yes it is a substitute for the F word. Fracking is the process of drilling into the earth and using high pressured liquid to extract gas from rock.

Fracking is by far a worse word than any other word that starts with F.

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other

Ever hear the term "Misery loves company"? He was just sharing. :laughing7:

metaldetectorguy

Feb 21, 2011
SouthSide
Detector(s) used
Dual Field, CZ-21, V3i, VX3, Deus, BHID 300, Coinmaster GT, MX5, Ace 150, Ace 250, Gtax 1000, MXT Pro
Haha that's pretty funny, gotta love them nosey nellies.

uriline

Greenie
Mar 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just tell them I am cleaning up the needles and other junk before some kid steps on it. its usually true as thats all I find.

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just tell them I am cleaning up the needles and other junk before some kid steps on it. its usually true as thats all I find.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1453389737.520028.jpg

Mojos working

Dec 27, 2015
Marshalltown, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been writing down your responses (from the experienced people) I'm a newbie, might come in handy!

I got the wife going on a "Bomb squad" best as we speak.

She just rolled her eyes and said "This is an interesting hobby going there, don't you?"

Mojos working

Mojos working

Dec 27, 2015
Marshalltown, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been writing down your responses (from the experienced people) I'm a newbie, might come in handy!

I got the wife going on a "Bomb squad" vest as we speak.

She just rolled her eyes and said "This is an interesting hobby going there, don't you?"

Mojos working in

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't wait to tell some busy body that I looking for nuclear waste and collecting samples.:laughing7:
Marvin
NOW THAT'S an idea!!! get one of those white hazmat suits and put some Radioactive signs around you just for giggles. Imagine the up roar you'd raise in the busybody network!!! Maybe a little radiological tape across her front yard. Or a couple radioactive stickers on her trashcans? Man! the fun you could have!

mark v

Mar 10, 2006
S.W. Pa.
Detector(s) used
Deus, CTX
"Yaa, funny... good one lady! You did get the memo yesterday then.
Mam , I'm not sure why it is has not been done already.... but I'm going to need you to move your car and have the other employees clear the lot too.
We have a backhoe on the way and will need to get it offloaded soon as possible."

When they start moving out , I would too!

This is hilarious!! I want to detect with you.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There are always gonna be the Gladys Kravitz types abound. I would have told her I was " cleaning the earth" for the future garden,that would have shut her up lol. We went looking for Civil War relics once in a pretty sketchy neighborhood and were asked what we were doing. When we said looking for bullets they didn't bat an eye. Bet they thought we were detectives.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

We had two of those situations today. Found an old home and talked to the tenant, who was foreign and didn't speak English very well. He said to ask his landlord. Found out the home was owned by a church, so we talked to the church pastor and he said go for it. We went back to the house and the tenant and his wife are outside yelling at us in two languages. He kept yelling "go away, we don't want you here" and some other non sense. It wasn't worth the hassle so we left.

Found another very old mansion in town. The older lady who lived there was as friendly as can be and gave us permission to detect. I found two Barber quarters and a Barber dime, my friend found an 1817 large cent! We spent around two hours at the property and I was walking to the car to pack it up for the day when some guy comes fast walking up the driveway yelling at me. He was wearing sweat pants and was very unkempt. He's telling me to get the hell out of there and practically foaming at the mouth. I didn't even respond, just looked at him trying not to laugh. My friend explained to him that the owner gave us permission to detect there. The guy then gets louder saying his mom owns the house and for us to get the hell out of there right now. My friend once again explained that the owner was very nice and told us we could be there and that we do this as a hobby. The dude turned around mumbling to himself and walked away. My friend went up to thank the homeowner and show her some of the finds. While he was up there he mentioned what her son had done. She was very apologetic and said he shouldn't have done that. It certainly embarrassed her that her son showed up and acted like an idiot!

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread