Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dumbest complaint ever.

So I'm detecting a vacant lot next to a verizon central office in broad daylight. The office has been there since the 60's so I was hoping to find an old coin, or maybe an old GTE item. It's about two blocks from my house.. so I'm detecting a lady comes out and says "THAT IS PRIVATE PROPERTY YOU CAN'T DIG HOLES THERE". I say, yes it is, but it's owned by verizon and I am friends with an employee who told me it's not a problem to look around with my detector. Also, fwiw, I am not digging holes. If you look around you won't find any holes. I'm just spreading the earth with a blade and then closing it back up."

Her reply (this is great): "Well, we are trying to get the city to give us this lot for a community garden. I don't think anyone would appreciate you digging holes in it!"

WAIT WHAT?

"I'm pretty sure if you are going to plant a garden YOU are going to be digging very large holes, and probably ripping up most of the grass. Besides, as you said it's private property. It's not a community garden, and it will probably never be a community garden because it's owned by Verizon. BTW, I am also the head of the neighborhood watch. How long have you been in the neighborhood? (answer, 3 months).

Things eased up from that point. But seriously.. some people feel the need to complain about anything with no logical reason! OMG someone is sticking a knife in the ground in a vacant lot covered with weeds and dead grass. Better call the po po! Sheeesh!

Upvote 0

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
Somewhere below the mason-dixon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Garrett AT PRO- Garrett Pro-Pointer AT-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may help in open public locations. When detecting wear a orange traffic vest, like a construction vest. People assume we are site surveying and usually don't bother. I wear one when doing curb lines in neighborhoods. And it keeps all the questions down, Wow that's cool how long have you been MD? What do you find? Have you ever found a ....? How much do they cost? Do you need a permit? The curious questions go on and on. I usually don't mind but some ppl can talk your ear off and no digging is getting done. GL HH

OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not a bad idea... an orange vest with the name of the city stenciled on it. Jeans and a button down shirt and work boots.

Although if the police do show up you might have a bit more explaining to do

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the cops show up at an abandoned high school where I was hunting. The officer said a neighbor had called in and said a guy was driving metal stakes in the ground all over the place. Well, I kinda was, I was shoving my Periscope probe into the ground trying to locate targets. This was the second time the cops showed up while I was hunting there. And yes, I did have permission to be there :)

If they show up again, ask them if they can bring it up in briefing so they can focus on legit calls. Some of them might get a kick out of someone trying to make their lives easier. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If they show up again, ask them if they can bring it up in briefing so they can focus on legit calls. Some of them might get a kick out of someone trying to make their lives easier. :icon_thumright:

Periscope probe? Where can I get one?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Periscope probe? Where can I get one?

I don't think it's made anymore. It was in the shape of an ice-pick, if I recall. And the tip would have to touch (or practically touch) the object, to register the signal. So there was no mistaking *exactly* were your target was :)

Heck, with accuracy that exacting, seems someone could simply then insert a button hook or tweezer-type needle-nose pliars down there, and extract the object with utterly zero disturbance of the turf/ground. Aside from an incision like slit.

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This may help in open public locations. When detecting wear a orange traffic vest, like a construction vest. People assume we are site surveying and usually don't bother. I wear one when doing curb lines in neighborhoods. And it keeps all the questions down, Wow that's cool how long have you been MD? What do you find? Have you ever found a ....? How much do they cost? Do you need a permit? The curious questions go on and on. I usually don't mind but some ppl can talk your ear off and no digging is getting done. GL HH

I thought I invented that idea. I take it one step further though. i check my local news for street closings or power outages then I drive by the spots were the work is going on. And if there is an abandoned lot or grass curb strip, etc. nearby I just start detecting as long as it is not directly on the job site. The workers don't look twice at me and all the Cops, passer-bys, and busybodys all assume I'm with the work crew.

If anyone asks what I'm doing I say..."Removing unsafe scrap metal". Why lie when you don't have too?....Heehee.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
..... The workers don't look twice at me and all the Cops, passer-bys, and busybodys all assume I'm with the work crew.....

Ah, I love it: Urban camouflage, eh ? Aka "hiding in plain site", haha

One time I got off work (driving a street sweeper) and and had forgotten to take my yellow vest off. On my way home, I met my buddy to hunt an old town demolition building tearout site. The building was half-demolished, and my friend and I were inside looking around. The cops came and ordered us, on loud speakers, to "come out of the building with your hands raised up". We emerged into the sun-light, where a cop was pointing his gun at us! But when he saw my yellow vest, he immediately lowered his gun, apologized for interrupting us. It dawned on me that he thought I was a worker there. I just played along with it, chatted with him a bit, till he left. Whereupon we resumed hunting.

Thus yes, sometimes "hiding in plain site" works great :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread