Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dumbest complaint ever.

So I'm detecting a vacant lot next to a verizon central office in broad daylight. The office has been there since the 60's so I was hoping to find an old coin, or maybe an old GTE item. It's about two blocks from my house.. so I'm detecting a lady comes out and says "THAT IS PRIVATE PROPERTY YOU CAN'T DIG HOLES THERE". I say, yes it is, but it's owned by verizon and I am friends with an employee who told me it's not a problem to look around with my detector. Also, fwiw, I am not digging holes. If you look around you won't find any holes. I'm just spreading the earth with a blade and then closing it back up."

Her reply (this is great): "Well, we are trying to get the city to give us this lot for a community garden. I don't think anyone would appreciate you digging holes in it!"

WAIT WHAT?

"I'm pretty sure if you are going to plant a garden YOU are going to be digging very large holes, and probably ripping up most of the grass. Besides, as you said it's private property. It's not a community garden, and it will probably never be a community garden because it's owned by Verizon. BTW, I am also the head of the neighborhood watch. How long have you been in the neighborhood? (answer, 3 months).

Things eased up from that point. But seriously.. some people feel the need to complain about anything with no logical reason! OMG someone is sticking a knife in the ground in a vacant lot covered with weeds and dead grass. Better call the po po! Sheeesh!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like you met my wife...:tongue3:

lol It's my own fault I have the neighborhood hyper sensitive to anything out of the ordinary. They've called the police on me a few times WHILE I am doing a neighborhood watch round.

duh

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would have said " I'm just looking for body parts"

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people are just plain angry and need to b*tch about the first person that looks at them the wrong way. Seems to be far too common nowadays. You should have replied with something really obscure that would have thrown her off a bit " whatddya say you and me go out for an anchovie pizza and a chocolate malt together"

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some people have an opinion, and by God, you're gonna hear it. The world according to them. I married one of those.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would've said "Whoah!!! there you are!!! They told me they buried you here!!! :laughing7:

On a serious note. I always get a kick out of peoples It sounds logical to me so it must be. Nice job of leaving the busy body standing there stuttering & stammering!:icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
"Ma'am, I understand that you are upset with being overweight, but please, don't take it out on me."

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the cops show up at an abandoned high school where I was hunting. The officer said a neighbor had called in and said a guy was driving metal stakes in the ground all over the place. Well, I kinda was, I was shoving my Periscope probe into the ground trying to locate targets. This was the second time the cops showed up while I was hunting there. And yes, I did have permission to be there :)

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would have been all..
I'm looking for evidence.... It's called an ugly stick, I think you've seen one?

DannyB1954

Nov 29, 2015
Pahrump, Nv.
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, DFX, V3i. TDI SL
Fischer F-75, F-19, CZ7a Pro.
Garrett Infinium, ATX
Nokta AU Gold, Racer, Simplex, legend
Minelab Explorer SE
Tesoro Lobo ST, Tejon, Compadre
Teknetics Omega 8500
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lol It's my own fault I have the neighborhood hyper sensitive to anything out of the ordinary. They've called the police on me a few times WHILE I am doing a neighborhood watch round.

duh
I once knew a guy that joined a neighborhood watch committee. He didn't realize it until later the group was formed to keep an eye on him. He was out marching around on watch and others seen him as prowling. guess it pays to dress nice after all.

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd have flashed my Neighborhood Watch badge, then cuffed and stuffed her.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like LisFisher said, You have to say something that doesn't fit or that they aren't expecting! It confuses them! They are expecting feedback. But when your response is about aliens or spaceships or some other nonsense. They get all confused! It trips up their mind! :laughing7: They will usually calm down a little then. Out of pure confusion and curiosity! It really does work!

Maybe I shouldn't admit this....But I was new to detecting and the place has been since dozed and this was years ago. Anyhow, when I first started I went to a kind of ghost town type place in WV. It was an old Boys Reform school. Really old! So, a few of us started exploring and detecting without permission. This guy flies up out of No where screaming at us, and "He's calling the cops"! Just out of High school, I'm in the next state, I didn't want anything to do with hole in the wall, in the middle of no where cops. Did I mention hair half way down my back and Leather biker jacket too. Anyhow, He"s screaming, red face, I stayed real calm and asked, "so, when was this place built." Like I didn't even hear him. He just stopped and looked at us. Then I asked "do you own this place this is really cool!" Ended up he calmed way down and admitted he did not own it, the state did, and he leased the surrounding fields. We all stayed calm and friendly and he asked that we didn't come back. No problem!

But we threw him off by staying calm, staying polite and low toned! He really didn't know how to react after that. Then when he told us the state owned it? He kind of realized we weren't really doing anything wrong! We did not know that at first though!:laughing7:

Haven't been there since the late 90's, but there is history in the whole area! For any of you WV guys! Or close OH guys. I would for sure get permission though it's no longer state owned!! When we were there, there were a few buildings and looked like a small ghost town.

http://www.graveaddiction.com/lakin.html

Sry for the long post! I'm bored right now! :laughing7:

Last edited:

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think a good part of this kind of problem lies within the overall "image" non detectorists have of our hobby. Some automatically assume that we are going in there with the intent to tear up everything in sight and leave unsightly holes everywhere. Others have no clue as to what we're doing and might mistake us for some nut job probing around with a shovel for no apparent reason. People tend to be afraid of what they don't understand - kinda like me when I see someone watching "keeping up with the Kardashians". I just don't get it.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Some frickin people! Nothing better to do! They think they own the frickin world and can make the rules themselves, and make an issue just because they're miserable with life. Frick off!!..I'm frickin busy finding a fortune lady, b4 this world goes bankrupt!

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
The word is spelled fricking. I looked it up. Surprised to see it was an actual word. I thought it was a substitute for another word. You know which one.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
"Yaa, funny... good one lady! You did get the memo yesterday then.
Mam , I'm not sure why it is has not been done already.... but I'm going to need you to move your car and have the other employees clear the lot too.
We have a backhoe on the way and will need to get it offloaded soon as possible."

When they start moving out , I would too!

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1453318946.324057.jpg

Top Member Reactions