This is surprising! Gold coin readings!

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
quick someone send me some gold coins to test with mine

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I don't believe it means much without setting info or experimenting with different settings.
In the comments he had stated the T2 settings which were the only ones I was interested in since I hunt with a similar F70.
His settings were disc at 40, sense at 70, no mention of anything else.
I never hunt this way, I can't be sure without testing a dollar coin which I don't have but I have some favorite settings that I am pretty confident would have given me a much better dig me signal on that small dollar coin.
These tests are ok and I do enjoy watching them for baseline results but all are subjective because of the many different settings possible on most mid to higher end detectors.
Different settings can result in sometimes better or at least different results.

Last edited:

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Digger, I agree. Sweep speed was also sort of arbitrary as well, but I do like comparisons like this.

I think that we detectorists need something to do in the winter!

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These tests may not be perfect but they do give a good indication of how certain detectors perform....The man who did this test wouldnt have gone through all that trouble to do a test and he did state that he had mineralized soil conditions....I am not a Garrett At Pro fan but was surprised how well it did especially on the $1 coin...Guess some people get upset when their detector of choice does not perform well on a certain test..I have none of these detectors but thought it may be of interest to those that do...

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Newfie, I agree with you, and also do not own any of these detectors.

They demonstrate an important point, and that is any detector has strengths and weaknesses that make it perform differently in various conditions with various targets

It is up to the user to be aware of this and adjust his methods and equipment accordingly.

I did not mean to offend or criticize. I would like to see this test be more complete by including various settings and sweep speeds, that would have started a larger discussion involving how to make any detector operate in it's sweet spot.

As I read the responses, I do not see any of us getting upset, merely having the discussion that these videos create.

This is why I enjoy the people that make up his forum, it makes us all better at what we do.

I would never bad-mouth someone who takes the initiative to make and post vids like this, they should be commended for taking the initiative.

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You make some valid points there Beerguy and I stand corrected....

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These tests may not be perfect but they do give a good indication of how certain detectors perform....The man who did this test wouldnt have gone through all that trouble to do a test and he did state that he had mineralized soil conditions....I am not a Garrett At Pro fan but was surprised how well it did especially on the $1 coin...Guess some people get upset when their detector of choice does not perform well on a certain test..I have none of these detectors but thought it may be of interest to those that do...

I don't think it upset as it is knowing that some times with out knowing and sometimes testers know exactly what they are doing. T2 with disc set in the 30 to fifty range actually cuts gain down. Those numbers might not be the exact numbers but 40 disc cuts the gain which hinders response to smaller targets. It's still a good vid. And I'm sure guys with other detectors in vid could say same about some of the others. Some vid are way more questionable.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread