Any Experience with this Bounty Hunter Model from Cabelas?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The more features you have on a detector drives up it's price. Not all area's of the country have the same amount of minerals to mask out targets. Some companies advertise their models as having Auto ground balance when in fact its preset at factory. This is fine if your in good ground.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I don't disagree. Was only pointing out that someone (besides me) called the Op machine in question "low end".

I know Tom..... :icon_thumright:

PaJim

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Land Ranger Pro
Whites coinmaster

Garret AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I have a BH from CABELAS I got for Christmas. Beginner machine? SURE... Do I love swinging it regardless, hell yeah! I'm just a beginner searching in my yard so far, but with my low end beginner machine, I found a silver quarter, clad spill, two buckles, 1930's dairy milk foil cap, 2 wheaties and garbage in my yard. Must be working right?

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Murphy the only thing I know about any BH metal detectors is that even a low end machine can find a Civil War buckle. You really don't want to notch out big targets when you're a beginner,you could miss something pretty cool. My husband was using one he bought for a backup and found a beautiful US buckle about 3 to 4 inches down. My machine is a Minelab 505 X-Terra,often scoffed at but I have found three CW belt buckles with it,numerous old silver coins and I have only had that machine in my two years or so of detecting.Good luck with hunting and just have a good time and don't worry about keeping up with the latest and greatest.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
uh oh, watch out there ............ :dontknow:

Tom, there is a difference between "low end" and citing them as a "toy". That comment depicts a persons lack of seriousness in what they are seeking to obtain. There are plenty of video's showing great things found with Ace 150s, F2s, and even $150 Bounty Hunters. When a company drops the price for new units (Classic T2, Omega 8000, and even the Delta 4000/Titanium), it doesn't mean that they are shoveled into an area (toy) of less than what they were. I'm sure you would be offended if a Minelab GPX5000 user looked at your arsenal and said that they were mere Toys.

I believe it's not the detector, but the persons ability to make it shine, that matters.

Last edited:

PBrad

Greenie
Jan 7, 2016
Fort Hood, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you walk any better in a pair of $150 shoes than you could if you spent only $25? My experience with Cabela's line of products has always been great. When I first got into fly-fishing 14 years ago, I had all the "Pro's" urging me to stay away from dept. store fly-fishing rods and reels, to include Cabela's. So I spent the $500 on just the rod, then another $250 on a reel. Then I found myself wanting another rod and reel in different weights so I took a chance on a "cheap" model from Cabela's. After spending time with it in Alaska, I felt pretty darn stupid and gullible for wasting so much money on a high end fly-rod. The Cabela's outfit caught and handled the fish just as well as my more expensive one. Now, I understand MD's are different than fly rods because of electronics but just because it is cheaper, by no means it's any less capable of performing what it is intended to do. I definitely wouldn't consider it a toy metal detector.

Here's a toy metal detector:
31sXOHu-5UL.jpg

H-D 1

Dec 25, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer & Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's odd I also bought my Delta 4000 from Cabelas and it has more than payed for itself. One of the best finds was 20 V nickels in one day in an old house dump from the 20s. And have several good years of detecting only recently have I upgraded to what I hope is a better machine only time will tell on that one. My MDing buddy has a Whites V3I and that little Delta can hold its own any day of the week but that's just me.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Tom... That was my thought's also your wording in that post was all wrong....

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Murphy the only thing I know about any BH metal detectors is that even a low end machine can find a Civil War buckle. You really don't want to notch out big targets when you're a beginner,you could miss something pretty cool. My husband was using one he bought for a backup and found a beautiful US buckle about 3 to 4 inches down. My machine is a Minelab 505 X-Terra,often scoffed at but I have found three CW belt buckles with it,numerous old silver coins and I have only had that machine in my two years or so of detecting.Good luck with hunting and just have a good time and don't worry about keeping up with the latest and greatest.

I would take your 505 way before I would the more expensive 705 just because of your Manual GB.:icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:
Marvin

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would take your 505 way before I would the more expensive 705 just because of your Manual GB.:icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:
Marvin

No manual GB on the 505. You can "retune" the Ground Grab though. But I agree with you, as I had an X-70 for a short while.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No manual GB on the 505. You can "retune" the Ground Grab though. But I agree with you, as I had an X-70 for a short while.[/QUOTE
Did you mean no Manual GB on the 705? You posted 505? By re-tune ----is that on the 705 and if so is that the same as manual?
Marvin

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No manual GB on the 505. You can "retune" the Ground Grab though. But I agree with you, as I had an X-70 for a short while.[/QUOTE
Did you mean no Manual GB on the 705? You posted 505? By re-tune ----is that on the 705 and if so is that the same as manual?
Marvin

Your post above said you would want the 505 over the X705 because it has manual GB. Neither has manual GB. Both have auto GB and the 705 has ground tracking as well. Manual is where you set it wherever you want it because some prefer a negative (or positive) push.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your post above said you would want the 505 over the X705 because it has manual GB. Neither has manual GB. Both have auto GB and the 705 has ground tracking as well. Manual is where you set it wherever you want it because some prefer a negative (or positive) push.
My 505 does not have auto ground balance Phantasman. It has two " channels" 1 and 2 but have no idea really what they do. Sometimes if I'm around a dog fence wire switching channels can make the machine less screechy.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May want to read this link to better understand....

Page 18.

"Manual Ground Balance

After adjusting my Sensitivity setting, I establish the proper GroundBalance (GB). Once again, each model (with the exception of the X-TERRA30, which has a factory preset GB) has a different degree of “fine tuning”for Ground Balance.The 50 and 305 offer Manual Ground Balance with settings ranging from0 to 20. The 505 offers Manual Ground Balance with settings ranging from0 to 50. And the 70 and 705 offer Manual Ground Balance with settingsranging from 0 to 90. The 70 and 705 offer the ability to set your GroundBalance automatically and operate in either a Tracking or Beach Tracking.The 705 also allows the user to offset the Ground Balance setting while inTracking .Ground Balance is the simplest form of discrimination in that it allows youto adjust the ground phase of your detector to compensate for the levelof ground mineralization. In other words, you are setting your detector inan effort to discriminate out the adverse effects of the ground. Note thatthe X-TERRA has the ability to operate effectively in both magnetic andconductive ground.

Ground Balance Settings
X-TERRA 30 Factory Preset
X-TERRA 50 20GB (Manual)
X-TERRA 305 20GB (Manual)
X-TERRA 505 50GB (Manual)
X-TERRA 70 90GB (Auto+Manual)
X-TERRA 705 90GB (Auto+Manual) "

http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/43350/Understanding your X-TERRA Letter size.pdf

Last edited:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OOPs. Brain fart on my part. :BangHead:

I was thinking of the BH Pioneer 505 and not the Xterra 505.

My bad. :notworthy:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OOPs. Brain fart on my part. :BangHead:

I was thinking of the BH Pioneer 505 and not the Xterra 505.

My bad. :notworthy:

I have brain farts multiple times a day sometimes....:icon_thumright:

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May want to read this link to better understand....

Page 18.

"Manual Ground Balance

After adjusting my Sensitivity setting, I establish the proper GroundBalance (GB). Once again, each model (with the exception of the X-TERRA30, which has a factory preset GB) has a different degree of “fine tuning”for Ground Balance.The 50 and 305 offer Manual Ground Balance with settings ranging from0 to 20. The 505 offers Manual Ground Balance with settings ranging from0 to 50. And the 70 and 705 offer Manual Ground Balance with settingsranging from 0 to 90. The 70 and 705 offer the ability to set your GroundBalance automatically and operate in either a Tracking or Beach Tracking.The 705 also allows the user to offset the Ground Balance setting while inTracking .Ground Balance is the simplest form of discrimination in that it allows youto adjust the ground phase of your detector to compensate for the levelof ground mineralization. In other words, you are setting your detector inan effort to discriminate out the adverse effects of the ground. Note thatthe X-TERRA has the ability to operate effectively in both magnetic andconductive ground.

Ground Balance Settings
X-TERRA 30 Factory Preset
X-TERRA 50 20GB (Manual)
X-TERRA 305 20GB (Manual)
X-TERRA 505 50GB (Manual)
X-TERRA 70 90GB (Auto+Manual)
X-TERRA 705 90GB (Auto+Manual) "

http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/43350/Understanding your X-TERRA Letter size.pdf

Thanks, That clears up a lot of questions.
Now I have another Question: Does any of the different GB settings affect depth with the Minelabs.
Marvin

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well Murphy, you are smarter than most who enter in to this hobby. You bought a very good turn on and go detector that is quite capable and best of all, you didn't break the bank. There are a lot of people who take up this hobby and assume that the more $$ they spend, the more silver and gold they will find. Totally wrong!! I have read some of your latest posts and you seem to be finding a lot of good stuff. Kudos to you. I am sure there have been "short term" members on here that spent 5 times more money on their first detector and didn't find what you have found in the last week within their first couple months of detecting. Learn that detector and what it is telling you. The amount of time spent learning your detector is more important than the amount of money spent buying it. Every forum that I belong to has a section dedicated to post what you've found with your detector; haven't seen a section on any of those forums dedicated to post how much you spent on your detector. Keep up the good hunting!:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread