Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope, but I'm in Florida not much for rocks. Also, I don't CARE if my coil gets scratched up. I simply sand it and apply a new coat of epoxy... which is what it's made of.
actually more to worry about in Fla. because of the coral - big and micro - ground coral is worse than sand on a coil

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
actually more to worry about in Fla. because of the coral - big and micro - ground coral is worse than sand on a coil

I'll still take scratches over constant falsing. Scratches and chips are easy to repair.

Of course I am careful around rocky areas not bang my coil on rocks.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are getting "constant falsing" when you put a piece of plastic on your coil, then you have bigger problems than using a coil cover. I have used coil covers on the Sand Shark; Dual Field; Soveriegn; and the CZ, and I have never had the falsing you refer to.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are getting "constant falsing" when you put a piece of plastic on your coil, then you have bigger problems than using a coil cover. I have used coil covers on the Sand Shark; Dual Field; Soveriegn; and the CZ, and I have never had the falsing you refer to.
I never have either.......even when black sand gets between the cover and the coil on my Excalibur or E-trac.

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope. Not that I could tell. It's nothing more than thin plastics between the coil and ground. The signal penetrates just fine. Only time I noticed problems was in hunting water (it got heavier) and I wet sand (it would collect stuff).

Cool cool .thanks.

Ren

Greenie
Dec 26, 2012
Solano County
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use them. I heard the covers reduce performance, but if it did, it would be VERY VERY slightly where it's true but its ridiculous where it's a no. Like green potato chips you find in the bag are poisonous. It's true but you would have to eat like 3 garbage bags full for it to cause a concern. I would only take it into account a tiny bit if I was detecting small bits of gold or something. I rather not have my coils scrapped up since I detect close to the ground. Gotta protect the coil. You just have to move the detector 2 hairs closer to the ground when you put one on lol

Last edited:

Detectorist.CO

Jan 18, 2016
Denver, Co
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I purchased a coil cover for my AT Pro. I think it's a good investment.

OP
OP
A2coins

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks I think Ill use it appreciate all the feedback

Redbug

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2016
Columbia, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Question on the coil covers, also...I know it is a good idea to take the cover off when detecting saltwater and stuff getting between the coil and cover. But what about hunting in freshwater?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It never hurts to remove coil cover every once in a while and clean out sand and debris. It really depends on the soil in your area but never hurts to clean out cover just to inspect for cracks in coil.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I wouldn't expect those problems with PI and multifreq machines. Single frequency VLF are more sensitive to water moving around and bits of black sand moving around inside the coil cover. It would probably not cause a problem on my CZ, but I'm a minimalist. I prefer my coil naked. To each their own!

Desert Don

Dec 28, 2015
On the Mojave Desert near Mojave.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, and Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505. In the past: Home made detector (circa 1969), World War II mine detector, Fisher M70 M-Scope (1971), Bounty Hunter TR 550, Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use one on all my coils. Just seems like a good idea. Lots of rock and course sand out here in the desert.

Desert Don

Last edited:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question on the coil covers, also...I know it is a good idea to take the cover off when detecting saltwater and stuff getting between the coil and cover. But what about hunting in freshwater?

A lot of freshwater lakes have rocks of various sizes and junk like cans or even fishing lures, all of which can tear up your coil, so definitely a cover will save your coil from gouges.

Redbug

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2016
Columbia, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A lot of freshwater lakes have rocks of various sizes and junk like cans or even fishing lures, all of which can tear up your coil, so definitely a cover will save your coil from gouges.

Thanks Susan!

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
Warning to all excal2 users, if you continue to use a coil cover and therefore clean it regularly (take it on and off), you will split the coil.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, yes,yes always have a coil cover on your machine and no bed liner ever.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread