Ace 250 faint high pitch sound

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a capacitor in the circuit. My Ace 150 does the same.

OP
OP
R

Ren

Greenie
Dec 26, 2012
Solano County
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this something that I should be worried about or affect the detector you think?

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would not be worried about it ... sometimes components can make a high pitched whine.. is it coming from the unit or the coil itself?

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How young are you? (no need to answer..)
My guess is you are hearing the MD oscillator. If you're still young enough to have excellent hearing, you might be able to hear frequencies as high as 15 to 20 kilohertz.
As you get older (30+), it becomes much more difficult to hear high-pitched sounds. Even under 30 if you don't protect your hearing (guns, concerts, headphone volume too high, etc..)
Old analog TV sets used to have a horizontal line rate of about 15,750 Hz that you could hear "whine" on some models. Without even looking, you could tell if someone turned on the TV.
This would have been the 1970's / 80's and earlier.

Check your coil connections (wiggle them at both ends) to see if the amplitude changes (i.e., louder or softer).
If so, then verify you're making good contact. Otherwise, you could have a loose ground or shield somewhere in the electronics section.
It may also just be a design issue, and you just never noticed it before.
Either way, if it is the oscillator, I doubt it would really affect the Ace 250's operation.

One other "possible" explanation is that something EXTERNAL is interfering with your detector.
By this, I mean strong external radio-frequency fields (like from a nearby AM/FM Station, etc..).
This is particularly likely if you're hearing music or some other program audio, but less likely if it's just a steady, high-pitched whine.

Another possibility is the Ace 250's audio amplifier is oscillating.
You might be able to rule this in/out by seeing if the noise goes away at lower volume settings.
It's not conclusive, but many audio amps tend to oscillate 'only' when they are at or near maximum volume.
Though some designs never oscillate, and some are so bad they may as well be oscillators (not amplifiers).
BTW: An audio amp can both oscillate and amplify sound at the same time.
It's not quite analogous to "runaway" oscillation (squeal) like you might hear if you placed a microphone in front of a working speaker (amplifying the mic).

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How young are you? (no need to answer..)
My guess is you are hearing the MD oscillator. If you're still young enough to have excellent hearing, you might be able to hear frequencies as high as 15 to 20 kilohertz.
As you get older (30+), it becomes much more difficult to hear high-pitched sounds. Even under 30 if you don't protect your hearing (guns, concerts, headphone volume too high, etc..)
Old analog TV sets used to have a horizontal line rate of about 15,750 Hz that you could hear "whine" on some models. Without even looking, you could tell if someone turned on the TV.
This would have been the 1970's / 80's and earlier.

Check your coil connections (wiggle them at both ends) to see if the amplitude changes (i.e., louder or softer).
If so, then verify you're making good contact. Otherwise, you could have a loose ground or shield somewhere in the electronics section.
It may also just be a design issue, and you just never noticed it before.
Either way, if it is the oscillator, I doubt it would really affect the Ace 250's operation.

One other "possible" explanation is that something EXTERNAL is interfering with your detector.
By this, I mean strong external radio-frequency fields (like from a nearby AM/FM Station, etc..).
This is particularly likely if you're hearing music or some other program audio, but less likely if it's just a steady, high-pitched whine.

Another possibility is the Ace 250's audio amplifier is oscillating.
You might be able to rule this in/out by seeing if the noise goes away at lower volume settings.
It's not conclusive, but many audio amps tend to oscillate 'only' when they are at or near maximum volume.
Though some designs never oscillate, and some are so bad they may as well be oscillators (not amplifiers).
BTW: An audio amp can both oscillate and amplify sound at the same time.
It's not quite analogous to "runaway" oscillation (squeal) like you might hear if you placed a microphone in front of a working speaker (amplifying the mic).

Good call. He could unplug the coil during the event to make sure it's not a sloppy output signal to the coil causing the ultrasonic's. Dogs can hear as high as 45 khz. Humans about 25khz. Detectors are usually transmitting mhz. But sloppy is usually all over the sound spectrum. And frequencies are at play with a MD.

OP
OP
R

Ren

Greenie
Dec 26, 2012
Solano County
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the answers guys. I'm 29. Yeah I couldn't remember if I heard this sound when I first got the detector. I'm pretty sure it didn't make this sound when I first got it. But as long as I know it doesn't affect the detector while detecting. Love the support, thanks again!

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just to correct something earlier in the thread, so as not to confuse future readers:

Metal Detector oscillators are usually in the 5 to 20 kHz range. (That's kilohertz, not megahertz).
This is in the range of normal human hearing.

I think the Ace 250 is a single-frequency design at 6.25 kHz, adjustable in very small steps.
I don't own a 250, so just going by what I read online.
So, the third harmonic (i.e., a fairly reliable indication of an amplifier in oscillation) would be 18.75 kHz, which would indeed be a high-pitched whine.

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
My 250 has made the same whine for the 10 years I have used it. I'm twice as old as you, and I can hear it. I doubt if it's anything to worry about.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread