Tesoro Tejon vs. Garrett AT Pro for relice hunting. Opinions please.

Sarge38624

Nov 28, 2015
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have only been metal detecting for about 5 months. I have an AT Pro, and I have been very happy with it. I find myself much more interested in relic hunting than coin and silver hunting. I have access to a couple of locations where I have found some civil war relics. I like my AT Pro but I have read in many places that the Tesoro Tejon is an excellent relic machine that detects deeper than most others in its price range. I am seriously considering purchasing a Tejon, but I would like to have the opinion of people who have used both machines. I have the stock coil for the AT Pro, as well as the 5x8 factory coil and a NEL Attack coil. I appreciate any thoughts you guys may have.

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you get the Tejon, get the 11" x 8" Widescan to go with it.

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I relic hunt 99% of the time and use an AT-Pro and am very happy with it. Why not at least try your at pro first before possibly wasting your money on another machine?

OP
OP
S

Sarge38624

Nov 28, 2015
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I relic hunt 99% of the time and use an AT-Pro and am very happy with it. Why not at least try your at pro first before possibly wasting your money on another machine?

I have been very happy with my AT Pro. I have found lots of relics with it. I have just read quite a few people commenting about how the Tejon is the best machine for cw Minie balls and other relics. If it is better, I want one. If there is no advantage to the Tejon, I will pass. I am just hoping someone who has used both will chime in. Thanks for the replies.

DannyB1954

Nov 29, 2015
Pahrump, Nv.
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, DFX, V3i. TDI SL
Fischer F-75, F-19, CZ7a Pro.
Garrett Infinium, ATX
Nokta AU Gold, Racer, Simplex, legend
Minelab Explorer SE
Tesoro Lobo ST, Tejon, Compadre
Teknetics Omega 8500
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would consider a used PI machine if you plan on digging everything. Garrett Infinium, White's TDI of some version. Tesoro has a water PI called a Sand Shark, and White's has a waterproof PI, but I don't think either are real popular among land hunters. The Phase Induction machines go deeper than a VLF, but do not discriminate. Relic hunting that would not matter much. I recently found the front of a cast iron stove from before 1915, ( that is when the rail stop was abandoned). It was buried in a mud slide over a foot deep. In all metal mode, the AT pro you have will find most things under 12". Most VLF's don't go a whole lot deeper. The PI machines also deal better with mineralized soil. If you want discrimination, the Fisher F-75 is a VLF that has been known to go pretty deep.

Last edited:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the at pro is the willys jeep of the detecting world.It is not the best at any one thing but holds its own in a very wide variety of hunting conditions.if depth is your main concern,than I agree with danny,its all about a p.i.machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions