Anyone submit a dug coin NCS for conservation?

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi everyone,

I have been reading up on the conservation services provided by NCS and from what I can tell, most people are satisfied with the results. However, I have not been able to find many examples of dug coins being conserved and how the results came out. I have a rather valuable silver coin with excellent detail and would like to improve its eye appeal, but before I drop a couple hundred dollars on it, I would like to know if any of you have had experience with NCS and how you felt about the results. I know that Silver Tree Chaser had a negative experience with them, but I don't know if that had anything to do with the conservation aspect. If anyone has before and after pictures, I would love to seem them, especially if those coins are silver! Thank you!

Upvote 0

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a very good question. Thanks for posting this!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I think about this, and seem to remember from a couple years ago a member sending an IH in for restoration and they ruined it. It might not have been NCS, but struck a similar cord.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would seriously think twice about that as the professionals don't seem to really do anything you can't do yourself... they just give you a big bill.

The coin in this link clearly did not need any type of cleaning, so should not have been sent in... but the fact the person with this company used such bad judgement (or was so greedy) that they went ahead and harshly cleaned it speaks volumes. I would NEVER send a very good coin find off to a company and have some flunky destroy it with some chemical based cleaner. My advice to anyone who does... know who it is, what their experience is, and especially what they plan to do.... and also to make sure your coin is not better left alone, as was the case here.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/cleaning-preservation/209028-don-t-use-ncs.html

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think about this, and seem to remember from a couple years ago a member sending an IH in for restoration and they ruined it. It might not have been NCS, but struck a similar cord.

I'm sure it sticks in the brain of all who read it.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I remember that 1877 cent. Keeps me from even thinking about sending them my 1921D AU dime that is oxided.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I would probably do is submit to PCGS to get the Genuine designation, just to have proof it is a real one and not a fake, if it was a key date. If you are truly trying to improve the appearance of the coin, I would think long and hard as to whether or not it's worth chancing it.

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the replies guys. i couldn't find reviews anywhere, so I appreciate the heads up.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you plan to keep it for yourself. you could clean it and make it shinny the value would go down its yours to appreciate. I f you don't want to lose value sorry to say don't touch it

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
If you plan to keep it for yourself. you could clean it and make it shinny the value would go down its yours to appreciate. I f you don't want to lose value sorry to say don't touch it

That is true to an extent. It is absolutely possible to improve a coin and drastically increase its value (of course, it is just as easy to ruin a coin). This is particularly true of dug colonial coins. Removing dirt or organic matter without damaging the coin's surfaces improves a coin. I do plan on keeping my coin, however, my skills as a conservator are limited, and I don't want to improperly clean my valuable finds. I have no problem safely removing 90% of the crap that I find stuck to coins, its the fine dirt that lodges in the areas of fine detail or is mineralized to the coins surface that concerns me. I don't want to make it shinny, as that would involve removing metal. I just want to carefully remove very fine dirt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread