Need help deciding on a detector. Have Roughly $600

saltfisher

Feb 15, 2009
Ephrata PA
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys. I'm back! Last time I was here was 2010. Lol. I had a Ace 250, and it treated me well. Sold it years ago because I needed money. I'm now looking for a better replacement. I have roughly $600 but not limited on funds. I was doing some research the past 2 weeks, and kept reading about the ATpro. I decided this would be the one... then seem the MX sport coming out, and liked that too... then was told to look for a used etrac.... or safari.... the list goes on....

Anyways, say I have a max of $750 to spend. What would you get? I live in PA and hunt mostly parks, older sites if possable. Junky areas possable. Also beach hunting a few times per year. Maybe some local creeks. After those coins/jewlery. All advice greatly appreciated

Upvote 0

DannyB1954

Nov 29, 2015
Pahrump, Nv.
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, DFX, V3i. TDI SL
Fischer F-75, F-19, CZ7a Pro.
Garrett Infinium, ATX
Nokta AU Gold, Racer, Simplex, legend
Minelab Explorer SE
Tesoro Lobo ST, Tejon, Compadre
Teknetics Omega 8500
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They are all good machines. They just have different features and operating frequencies. In a way it is like asking what car should I buy.
I buy used on Ebay and not had problems. If it don't work when you get it, Ebay backs the purchase. If it does work, it will most likely keep working for a very long time. The advantage of buying used is if you resell it, you can recoup your money for the most part.
Your name Salt Fisher leads me to now think a machine that handles salt water beaches may be a plus. Dual frequency machines like White's DFX may work for you. I bought one on Ebay for around $400.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

saltfisher

Feb 15, 2009
Ephrata PA
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are all good machines. They just have different features and operating frequencies. In a way it is like asking what car should I buy.
I buy used on Ebay and not had problems. If it don't work when you get it, Ebay backs the purchase. If it does work, it will most likely keep working for a very long time. The advantage of buying used is if you resell it, you can recoup your money for the most part.
Your name Salt Fisher leads me to now think a machine that handles salt water beaches may be a plus. Dual frequency machines like White's DFX may work for you. I bought one on Ebay for around $400.

I live in PA, so i do hunt the beaches of DE/MD a few times a year. Ill mainly be around my home area though hunting parks, yards/old home properties, maybe some local freshwater beaches of my local lakes, mainly looking for a good coin/jewlery machine that will do ok on the beach.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The MX Sport is more MXT than Treasure Pro. It might be a great fit for your needs since your main hunt sites are land or freshwater. It will work in salt, but may not go as deep in black sand.

Give me a shout if I can help you compare detectors. We are doing some preorder specials on the MX Sport. I also have a few of the AT Pro Diggers packages left.

Wayne
(832) 928-9135

Www.metaldetectingstuff.com

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT pro and the 5x8 coil. Pro zero mode!

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, the hard part is deciding what to go with. Everyone was talking up the ATpro, and it seems like a good unit for the price, but the screen seemed like it could be a lot better then it is, and heard the pinpointer is not very accurate. Then seen the MX sport, and love the backlit screen for night hunting, which is cool, nice option, but i guess not really a huge deal breaker for me. I can get a sun shield and add a LED light if I need to on the ATpro. MX sport screen looks easier to use also.

Regarding the pinpointer, it is probably going to be the same on the MX Sport. It's more of a behavior of the DD coil. But, you will rarely use pinpoint when you learn to use the AT Pro or any DD coil machine. You will quickly make an X with the coil and dig the center of it.

The MX pro is definitely not the Treasure Pro, it has more discrimination notches it seems. Battery life is about the same as the Pro at 20 hours but the MX takes eight batteries instead of 4 for the Pro.

If I had the cash to buy either the MX Sport or the AT Pro, I'd probably go with the MX Sport. If I was on a budget I'd go with the AT Pro.

There is one problem with the backlight... at night it will draw attention to you and ruin your night vision.

When I hunt at night I want to be invisible and retain my night vision. You could put a red filter over the screen, but again it's still going to attract attention (maybe there is an option to disable the backlight?)

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
It's never a popular opinion on these types of forums but if you want the truth, get second hand and save $$. Second hand Minelab would be the best idea. The CTX is out of your budget range.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with that.. but only for certain brands. Garrett would be one of them, but not Fisher (repairs are too expensive if it's not under warranty).

prospexican

Nov 28, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gemini-3 best expert.
gpx 5000, fisher 2 box, whites sierra madre, eagle ll w big foot, gold bug, GMT, MD-5008, Detectron 2 box. etc. metrotech 480, and ferromagnetic magnetometer FX-3. fisher CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well i will try to find a good deal on a Whites TDI, or i have a Whites GMT in mint condition for sale with 2 coils, u can see the videos for GMT at youtube.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I just checked-out the Cabela's website about the ATPro and it is listed at $599.95, also says that it ships to the store thus probably no in-store pricing and no ATPro in the store. I'm on my way if true...at $400.

rwd mo

Jul 26, 2011
SW Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab/whites/Tesoro/
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I have a cabelas 45 mins away from me.

The Garrett only has 3 tones I believe so if u do not like tones then look at a mx sport coming out in a week. or a mxt used it also has notch on it. Never cared for the Garretts for some reason.

OP
OP
S

saltfisher

Feb 15, 2009
Ephrata PA
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was also checking out the mxt pro. How do they compare to the ATpro? So many too choose from around this price range.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread