Need help deciding on a detector. Have Roughly $600

saltfisher

Feb 15, 2009
Ephrata PA
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys. I'm back! Last time I was here was 2010. Lol. I had a Ace 250, and it treated me well. Sold it years ago because I needed money. I'm now looking for a better replacement. I have roughly $600 but not limited on funds. I was doing some research the past 2 weeks, and kept reading about the ATpro. I decided this would be the one... then seem the MX sport coming out, and liked that too... then was told to look for a used etrac.... or safari.... the list goes on....

Anyways, say I have a max of $750 to spend. What would you get? I live in PA and hunt mostly parks, older sites if possable. Junky areas possable. Also beach hunting a few times per year. Maybe some local creeks. After those coins/jewlery. All advice greatly appreciated

Upvote 0

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A couple to look at are the White's M6 and the new MXSport for waterproof hunting up to 10 feet deep.

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MXT Pro is another good choice. Never been a fan of the AT Pro, after using many different detectors I found that for me, there was as much to dislike about it as there was to like. The new MX Sport may be another good choice but I'd wait awhile until the jury comes in.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
AT Pro would keep you within budget, and is a good machine. I found good stuff with mine.

I use a Deus now... can not say enough good things about it, however, it's twice your budget. It is the lightest detector and wireless, those two features sold me on the unit. After you learn the machine, the real fun begins!

Best of luck to you!

CoinAddict

Oct 24, 2014
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just posted a safari with remaining warranty and other accessories in the for sale section if you would like to check it out. Thanks. Pm me with any questions.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd get a used E-trac....and I did!

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see that Cabelas has the AT pro on sale for $400

OP
OP
S

saltfisher

Feb 15, 2009
Ephrata PA
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really? Just went to the site and it's $599

OP
OP
S

saltfisher

Feb 15, 2009
Ephrata PA
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT Pro would keep you within budget, and is a good machine. I found good stuff with mine.

I use a Deus now... can not say enough good things about it, however, it's twice your budget. It is the lightest detector and wireless, those two features sold me on the unit. After you learn the machine, the real fun begins!

Best of luck to you!

How does the ATPRO compare to the deus as far as performance?

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The AT Pro is a nice machine, it's a great machine and it's waterproof to 10 feet so you can hunt lakes and even occasional ocean hunting depending on where you are. The notch discrimination is very nice as is the Iron Audio mode.

I think you can easily find one NEW for well under retail if you ask around. I got mine used for $350 and it was in like new condition (original box and everything).

The DD coil on the AT pro has some advantages as well. I know nothing of the XP Deus so I can't compare them.

Last edited:

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With 750 to spend buy the ATP and get the small coil with it. It's a no brainer if you ask me.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recommend that You down load Tesoro Website, , but purchase not from them, buy from Kellyco or # 10 or any other dealers who are members here. Good hunting and good luck. Let us know what detector that you had purchased.

Last edited:

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I vote AT-Pro... In my opinion, its a great machine for the money. I have been using mine for the past three years, and couldn't be happier. I hunt primarily in the woods, and the At-Pro performs flawlessly. My confidence with this machine grows after each use.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DannyB1954

Nov 29, 2015
Pahrump, Nv.
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, DFX, V3i. TDI SL
Fischer F-75, F-19, CZ7a Pro.
Garrett Infinium, ATX
Nokta AU Gold, Racer, Simplex, legend
Minelab Explorer SE
Tesoro Lobo ST, Tejon, Compadre
Teknetics Omega 8500
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you buy used, almost anything will be in your budget. The Etrac and V3i are going for a bit more. The last version of the fisher F-75 gets good reviews. I have one and like it. It is a good all rounder.

OP
OP
S

saltfisher

Feb 15, 2009
Ephrata PA
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you buy used, almost anything will be in your budget. The Etrac and V3i are going for a bit more. The last version of the fisher F-75 gets good reviews. I have one and like it. It is a good all rounder.

Yeah, the hard part is deciding what to go with. So many options and want to find what will work best for me. I hate to spend $700 on a machine, and then a few weeks later be like "Oh man, i should have got that!" Which is sort of whati was thinking last week. Everyone was talking up the ATpro, and it seems like a good unit for the price, but the screen seemed like it could be a lot better then it is, and heard the pinpointer is not very accurate. Then seen the MX sport, and love the backlit screen for night hunting, which is cool, nice option, but i guess not really a huge deal breaker for me. I can get a sun shield and add a LED light if I need to on the ATpro. MX sport screen looks easier to use also. The Etrac video confused me when he was showing how to switch between all the settings. Im good at using electronics, and computers, and the Etrac still confused me. lol. Thinking of just taking the leap and getting a MXsport. It looks similar to the treasure pro.... think it may just be a waterproof treasure pro? Is the treasure pro a good machine?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread