Entry level vs Pro

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
I see many people including myself using "entry level" $300ish machines
such as The Ace 250, Tesoro Silver U max, Etc....

Has anyone moved on to the upper end machines and found them to
produce more finds, accuracy etc.

I hunt with another guy who has upgraded his White's a couple times now.
It just seems that he is finding more quality targets every time he gets a "better" machine.
He went from an Ace 250 to an entry level Whites, then a used Whites "Eagle spectrum" I think.

Upvote 0

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
You will find coins with an entry level machine but if you want to find good deep targets you will need to up grade. You cant expect the same results with a $250.00 machine vs 1000.00 + machine. If that were not the case there would not be any high end machines or people buying them

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
the answer to your question is yes, i did notice a differance in good finds.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i started with a low end bh for 89 bucks HATED IT
found 50 bucks in 4 months
1 ring and 1 rosie
upgraded to my present TROY X5
it payed for itself in 18 months (850 +130*DD coil+100*5 inch coil =$1080)
in clad and jewelry and about 150 older coins about 100 are wheat pennies :-\
the rest are indians (20) the rest are silver (30) and a handfull of non gaming tokens
many of the old silver were beyond the reach (4 inchs) of my old machine
deepest silver was a ring marked coin (.900 silver)
that maxed out at 8 inchs
also an 1868 indian head that was 8 inchs only a foot away ;D
http://www.troycustomdetectors.com/cgi-bin/webbbs_config.pl
here is there find forum

D

Danielmc

i didnt nessecarily move up to a tejon rather than moved over. but with this machine I find deeper targets with ease and it seems here in Florida targets sink fast. I found a 1971 penny at about 7 inches the other day, where when i lived in NY 7 inch targets were nice pre 20th century targets.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Well,I gotta think about this.I believe a experienced md'r can take a entry level unit and find more targets than a fairly 'newbie' with a top of the line unit.There's more to it than just having one of the 'best'.Now,when that newbie is proficient with his unit,then it's a different story.But a newbie upgrading before he learns the 'in and outs' won't find any more targets than he does now until he becomes proficient.And one top of the line unit is only as good as the user is.That's why 'pros' usually swear by the top of the line units that they use.It's because they know that unit better than any other and that's why everyone doesn't use the same unit.They think their's is the deepest, and it is for them,but in reality,all of their answers will be about the same when asked 'how deep does it go? Gotta learn it first!! Depth doesn't translate to quality.IMHO,which is free!

D

Danielmc

warsawdaddy said:
Well,I gotta think about this.I believe a experienced md'r can take a entry level unit and find more targets than a fairly 'newbie' with a top of the line unit.There's more to it than just having one of the 'best'.Now,when that newbie is proficient with his unit,then it's a different story.But a newbie upgrading before he learns the 'in and outs' won't find any more targets than he does now until he becomes proficient.And one top of the line unit is only as good as the user is.That's why 'pros' usually swear by the top of the line units that they use.It's because they know that unit better than any other and that's why everyone doesn't use the same unit.They think their's is the deepest, and it is for them,but in reality,all of their answers will be about the same when asked 'how deep does it go? Gotta learn it first!! Depth doesn't translate to quality.IMHO,which is free!

I guess it also depends on what your style is. Depth doesn't equate to quality, but if you're a relic hunter or in the business of diggin up old coins it surely does. And at the same time you can go out and spend a grand on a machine and my tejon at 560$ may be better suited for the job.

But as the OP asked, yes back in the day when i spent a small amount on a Garrett,(a cheaper beginner machine) I surely wasn't diggin up what I am now. I'm sure my honed skill over the years have helped, but a machine does make the difference.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4 inchs is only 4 inchs ive dug barbers at 5
so :-\

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
EDDEKALB said:
i started with a low end bh for 89 bucks HATED IT
found 50 bucks in 4 months
1 ring and 1 rosie
upgraded to my present TROY X5
it payed for itself in 18 months (850 +130*DD coil+100*5 inch coil =$1080)
in clad and jewelry and about 150 older coins about 100 are wheat pennies :-\
the rest are indians (20) the rest are silver (30) and a handfull of non gaming tokens
many of the old silver were beyond the reach (4 inchs) of my old machine
deepest silver was a ring marked coin (.900 silver)
that maxed out at 8 inchs
also an 1868 indian head that was 8 inchs only a foot away ;D
http://www.troycustomdetectors.com/cgi-bin/webbbs_config.pl
here is there find forum

Like EDDEKALB I also own an X-5 and regularly visit Troy's website. Waiting for Troy to come out with the X-7.

The issue of upgrading really depends on the new detector user. Detectors like the Ace 250 are a great choice for a newbie but really it is sort of a test to determine if this hobby is for you. If it is you will spend more money to upgrade to a better detector. It is just a matter of time before you upgrade if you are hooked. The real issue is what detector should you upgrade to?

George

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
George George George
please call me MR ED ;D

OP
OP
Wetgreenie

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
[/quote]

It is just a matter of time before you upgrade if you are hooked. The real issue is what detector should you upgrade to?

George
[/quote]

No Doubt, there are a lot of great machines out there.
It seems at a club event I went to it was 85% Whites (machines that is ;D)
Both Whites or Garret would be heavier than my Tesoro, I would miss that.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

It is just a matter of time before you upgrade if you are hooked. The real issue is what detector should you upgrade to?

George
[/quote]

No Doubt, there are a lot of great machines out there.
It seems at a club event I went to it was 85% Whites (machines that is ;D)
Both Whites or Garret would be heavier than my Tesoro, I would miss that.
[/quote]

oh man, the start of a long and winding road! ;) ;D there are sooo many good manufacturers and models out there it can drive you insane trying to sort out all of the mumbo jumbo and technical doubletalk. one thing i learned is that you cant believe much of what any manufacturer claims. they are all full of crap to an extent. the opinions of users are a useful tool but take opinions with a grain of salt. some peoples opinions are more credible than others. ::) i think the best way to go if you can, is to go to a local detector shop and try some different machines out. try to find one that kind of fits your own personal preference of what a great machine is. as long as you stick with the major manufacturers ( Garrett, Whites,Tesoro,Minelab.....even Troy and Nautilus). they all make some very good machines. which one is best is which one suits your needs/preferences the best.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 250 is a good little unit but for another 150.00 or so you can get better. I have had about ten different detectors and I have only bought two of them new. You can get a real good deal from time to time on a good performing used machine for a lot less money. The Tesoro Cibola is only 340.00 new with a lifetime warranty . It is a good all around machine.

OP
OP
Wetgreenie

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
I had a chance to try out a friends machine (white's prizm)
Still somewhat entry level but,
I really liked that it had depth and target I.D.
My Tesoro does not.

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
birdman said:
The 250 is a good little unit but for another 150.00 or so you can get better. I have had about ten different detectors and I have only bought two of them new. You can get a real good deal from time to time on a good performing used machine for a lot less money. The Tesoro Cibola is only 340.00 new with a lifetime warranty . It is a good all around machine.

10 detectors and only brought 2. How do I get on that plan. You are not stealing them are you. 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread