Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Ahhh... the lovely West Columbia area...

Check the parks and schools, especially the older ones. The other alternative is to knock on doors in the older part of town, and ask the homeowners for permission.

OP
OP
G

goldhuntertim

Mar 16, 2014
west columbia sc.
Detector(s) used
org. gold bug ,prism 3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
don't I need any kind of permission to detect in some parks say like finely park or maxcy Gregg park on blossom st ????

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old swimming holes are always good

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
don't I need any kind of permission to detect in some parks say like finely park or maxcy Gregg park on blossom st ????

Where did you get that notion ? If you were thinking of flying Frisbees there, would you think that you "need permission" for that ? Then why is md'ing is a special class (as if it's intrinsically evil or dangerous) that it "needs permission" ?

Sure, md'ing has "connotations" (that you might be about to leave a mess). Ok fine: go at lower traffic times and avoid such lookie-lous. Heck, it's gotten to where I do most of my turf hunting at night nowadays. So peaceful. So serene :)

You're simply not going to please every last person. So unless there's a specific forbiddance, then presto, it's not forbidden. Just don't tromp obvious sensitive monuments, and go at low traffic times. Before 8, after 5, etc... Like nose-picking: not necessarily "illegal", but you still ... uh .... choose discreet times so as not to offend the squeamish.

OP
OP
G

goldhuntertim

Mar 16, 2014
west columbia sc.
Detector(s) used
org. gold bug ,prism 3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THANKS TOM for your input its just that I don't won't to m-d on some kind of historical spot that may or may-not be considered that ??? remember this is South Carolina their funny about things here :-( for example if you go to a farmer that had his land in his family for say 150 plus yrs. so you ask him if you can metal detect the land, the present day owner might say NO because he don't want you to find anything that might indicate that there was SLAVERY going on in his family tree line ( like finding a slave tag as they'll called ) seen and heard of this once. MEANING PPL ARE FUNNY LIKE THAT HERE.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Aiken. I've hunted a few parks in Columbia and nearby areas. I've never had a problem. Schools are also good unless they are posted or have locked gates. I've found lots of coins and some jewelry at tot lots. You should also ask for home and land owners permission. The only thing they can do is say yes or no. Columbia has a lot of history. There was a lot of civil war weapons and ammo dumped in the river when the Yankees took Columbia.
Just remember to always fill in your holes and take away your trash that you dig. Good luck.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Squirrels dig holes, and people smash the grass. We simply "spread the earth apart" reach in and grab something and push it back together. I tell people "no dirt has been removed" so it's not a hole.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions