CLR cleaner product for removing rust from iron object?

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That stuff is pretty harsh. I wouldn't recommend it. WD40 would probably be a better bet. Personally I do electrolosis on my finds.

OP
OP
acm3

acm3

Jan 2, 2016
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and
Garrett pinpointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks. I found a bottle of it in my garage (not sure when i bought it) and thought i would use it on all the old square nails I have. I use electrolysis on my bigger items like axe head, horse shoes, etc. I think the old nails are cool, but don't want to hassle using electrolysis on them. If I do, I may lay them all in a metal pan and attach the negative line to the pan and see if it "cooks" all of them at once.

PaJim

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Land Ranger Pro
Whites coinmaster

Garret AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't attest to how these methods effect iron... but I collect antique bicycles and these are different methods I use to remove rust from steel.

1) Vinegar soak works (slowly)
2) Molasses is supposed to work (slowly of course)
3) Oxalic acid can pull some wonders. Buy it in crystal form and dilute in hot water, or use Bar Keepers friend/wood bleach. Both products contain a diluted amount of OA
4) wd40 and steel wool (not sure that would be the best way to clean up nails though)
5) Evapo-rust.

But again... I've never used any of these methods on iron. Not sure how they will react to that metal.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me, vinegar is the most cost effective way to do it. Evaporust works great too, but, at a much higher cost.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread