Detector - for sewing needles

klauszoll

Feb 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum, and won’t be of much help to you guys, since I know not much about MD. But I am in need of help from you. My request may seem a bit unusual, since most of you probably search for other much more valuable things than sewing needles :).
I need to buy a metal detector for my work as a tailor. Its main and actually the only purpose is to detect sewing needles (or event their broken parts) in plush toys (depth max. 3 inch.). It will be used inside a building. I do not want it to be a large standing machine (as are used in big sewing fabrics), but rather a regular or hand detector.
Max. price would be around $700.
Can you, please, help me? I would be really thankful.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

klauszoll

Feb 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So now I am back, don't think I forgot about you guys. After many calls, tests, reviews and so on, I was actually convinced to buy G2/Fisher Gold Bug Pro. And so I was just going through all the specifications, just to make sure. And I found out, that it does not have true all metal mode. The only teknetics that has it - is T2, but it operates on lower freq, and for my needs higher would be better. So I thought I could finally buy AT Gold. But then, people testing it for me - gave me results, that were not very encouraging.
So here I am again. Tired, but determined to do my best to find a right unit for me. Still reading, still searching.
I just know it should be a detector operating on freq around 18kHz, with true all metal mode. Does anyone have any strength to help me here? The problem is, that it is not so easy (especially for a layman as myself) to determine, if a device has true all metal mode or just zero disc mode. In specification sheets they just don't write it clearly, and "all metal" may mean just "zero disc".

CladiatorMax

Nov 1, 2012
Garden Grove, California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II & Sovereign GT / Garrett Carrot / Stavr Scoops
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Klauszoll,

One quick question..> I've been so focused on asking about the technology and the requirements that I didn't think about the conditions. You're talking about sewing items that you want to pass over the coil. Are the items compressible? If so, can you SQUISH the items between a holder and pass it across the coil within 2 inches. I suspect, if you can do this, your problem becomes much less complicated.

Skippy

Nice thought Skippy, that will definitely reduce the depth issue.

My personal recommendation would be a PI machine like a Tesoro Sand Shark or Whites Dual Field, they have no discrimination to worry about and you'll hear everything. While this is a specialized application, you'll find that adjusting the pulse width on these machines will benefit your search greatly as they go deep. Best of luck to you.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Would this fit your needs: Hand held Garrett Super Scanner

"Ultimate sensitivity: detects medium sized pistol from 9" distance; large knife from 6"; razor blades and box cutters from 3" distance; foil-wrapped drugs and tiny jewelry from 1".

MSRP: $199.95

Garrett Super Scanner V Key Features

Last edited:

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka GT 24",God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload, Harbor freight 9 function, Cintech pinpointer, Determination
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do you have a metal detecting store nearby? Maybe take a needle to them and see what machine would work/afford?

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading all this, I think I would try a Magnetic Compass and see if it would indicate a reading other than Magnetic North.
You would have to put a needle in a Doll to find out OR I suppose an AIR test would work OK also.
Good Luck, Marvin
PS. In determining the depth required for a Metal Detector you only need to detect to the center (Scan the front, turn Doll over, and scan the back) ( 3" MAX detector would work for a Doll 6" thick).

Slowwalker

May 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually found a needle on the beach at about 5" the other day with my Excalibur

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread