Detector - for sewing needles

klauszoll

Feb 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum, and won’t be of much help to you guys, since I know not much about MD. But I am in need of help from you. My request may seem a bit unusual, since most of you probably search for other much more valuable things than sewing needles :).
I need to buy a metal detector for my work as a tailor. Its main and actually the only purpose is to detect sewing needles (or event their broken parts) in plush toys (depth max. 3 inch.). It will be used inside a building. I do not want it to be a large standing machine (as are used in big sewing fabrics), but rather a regular or hand detector.
Max. price would be around $700.
Can you, please, help me? I would be really thankful.

Upvote 0

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome aboard.....what you need is a hand held pinpointer.....check with one of the sponsors and they can narrow it down for you as to you 3" depth requirement.

Regards + HH

Bill

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd consider the Tesoro Compadre with the 5.75" coil. More depth than you need, but more surface coverage than a pinpointer. 160 -170$ if you shop around a bit.
luvsdux

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
How would a needle get 3 inches deep inside ? Would not a magnet work better ?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
My .02c : I don't think a pinpointer (any any make or brand) is sensitive enough to pick up sewing needles. At least not very efficiently. And certainly won't have a good coverage area ("surface coverage"), as luvsdux points out.

A needle is a difficult target for any machine to pick up, for 2 reasons: A) because it's very teensy and thin. B) because it's iron, and most machines today are made to reject iron. Although, yes, they'll have an all-metal pin-point mode, yet they're usually designed with coins/jewelry/relics in mind. Since, of course, no one's usually angling for tinsel thin objects like "needles" :0

So I'd say you're going to need a prospecting machine of some sort. Ie.: a nugget machine. Because guys that angle for nuggets (which are rarely ever bigger than a grain of rice) have the specialty machines made to ring-the-bells of notre dame or items as small as push pins, straight pins, bb's, etc..... So for example, the Minelab GPX series can probably get a needle to several inches deep with ease :) But it's a very squirelly beast to operate :)

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe Keppy's answer is worth a try.....suggest try a rare earth magnet very strong and not all that costly.

Regards + HH

Bill

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A magnet might helpful for removal of the needle, but, it's not going to detect it. A hand held pin pointer would be the most practical to use in a work area such as yours. With other metal objects close by, a conventional detector is going to sound off on everything around you. I'd get a good pin pointer such as the Garrett AT (carrot) or the Uniprobe if you need headphones to hear in a noisy environment. Both have good depth of detection capabilities and will find a needle.....at least mine do.

OP
OP
K

klauszoll

Feb 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A magnet might helpful for removal of the needle, but, it's not going to detect it. A hand held pin pointer would be the most practical to use in a work area such as yours. With other metal objects close by, a conventional detector is going to sound off on everything around you. I'd get a good pin pointer such as the Garrett AT (carrot) or the Uniprobe if you need headphones to hear in a noisy environment. Both have good depth of detection capabilities and will find a needle.....at least mine do.

Thank you. I would really gladly go for handheld garrett, since it would be very practical, as you noticed. Would it be very annoying of me to ask a favor from you? If you have such device, would it be possible for you to check, whether it detects a small needle (1-1.5 inch) from a distance, let's say 2.5? I am asking this, because I need to purchase the device online, and it will be not so easy for me to return it, if it will not work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

klauszoll

Feb 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, I would like to really thank you all for your help.

I'd consider the Tesoro Compadre with the 5.75" coil. More depth than you need, but more surface coverage than a pinpointer. 160 -170$ if you shop around a bit.
luvsdux
Thank you, I will look into, and read about the device right now. I like the price.

How would a needle get 3 inches deep inside ? Would not a magnet work better ?
I thought of it, but I would rather get something more reliable. I need this toys needle-free.

My .02c : I don't think a pinpointer (any any make or brand) is sensitive enough to pick up sewing needles. At least not very efficiently. And certainly won't have a good coverage area ("surface coverage"), as luvsdux points out.

So I'd say you're going to need a prospecting machine of some sort. Ie.: a nugget machine. Because guys that angle for nuggets (which are rarely ever bigger than a grain of rice) have the specialty machines made to ring-the-bells of notre dame or items as small as push pins, straight pins, bb's, etc..... So for example, the Minelab GPX series can probably get a needle to several inches deep with ease :) But it's a very squirelly beast to operate :)

Like you said, I am worried about pinpointers sensivity. Efficiency would be OK - for me it would be easier to use (above the toys), than a regular device. But I am affraid, a pinpointer simply won't see a needle.
I have read about people searching for gold, and considered XP goldmaxx power.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For what it's worth, I just checked a 1-1/2 inch regular sewing needle with my Fisher GBII an it only consistently detected the needle at 2 inches in an air test.
Marvin

OP
OP
K

klauszoll

Feb 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For what it's worth, I just checked a 1-1/2 inch regular sewing needle with my Fisher GBII an it only consistently detected the needle at 2 inches in an air test.
Marvin

Thank you so much. That is just a little bit too close. Small needle from at least 3 inches is what I need.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are truly concerned by someone getting stuck(or worse) by a needle left in one of you're products, then I would invest in a food grade metal detecting unit. Don't know where you're located but here in the states if held responsible for someone's else's suffering(whatever the cause), then expect a world of hurt. Not trying to be rude but if you're making and selling a product for profit then it's you're responsibility to make sure that product is safe, at whatever cost necessary, for those intending to use it. I just don't believe a "pinpointer" will get the job done efficiently. Good luck, Mike

OP
OP
K

klauszoll

Feb 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are truly concerned by someone getting stuck(or worse) by a needle left in one of you're products, then I would invest in a food grade metal detecting unit. Don't know where you're located but here in the states if held responsible for someone's else's suffering(whatever the cause), then expect a world of hurt. Not trying to be rude but if you're making and selling a product for profit then it's you're responsibility to make sure that product is safe, at whatever cost necessary, for those intending to use it. I just don't believe a "pinpointer" will get the job done efficiently. Good luck, Mike
I should have made myself more clear. I do not actually make a living on sewing. It is just a hobby, I make several toys a months on special orders. These are handmade, at home. I get your point, but I just could not possibly have such device at home nor could I afford it. I try to be as careful as possible when making toys. I just wanted to be even more safe with a detector. I also thought, a detector could be of some other use to me. But now I see, I can not get a regular detector to see a needle.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just tried my Garrett pro pointer on a hand sewing needle a teeny one had to be 1-/4" from it, a thicker longer needle, a distance of one inch.
The thicker or larger the needle The better and farther the detection.
Maybe some one with a Minelab, or whites pin pointer, those I believe have sensetivity adjustments, can test distance for you.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another thought - possibly a handheld detector of the type used for checking in security areas such as air ports etc.
luvsdux

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As others have mentioned, I would think a hand-held pin-pointer would be your most logical choice.
Large metal detectors would seem impractical for your needs. . . (unless you are trying to convince your spouse that one is necessary :laughing7:)

As an additional thought, if these toys can be compressed to within an inch or two, (between two, 1/8" sheets of plywood/masonite boards), most pin-pointers should detect a needle.

OP
OP
K

klauszoll

Feb 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A magnet will perhaps remove a needle but will not detect it. I would rather have a good detector. I am considering Garrett Super Scanner for its size and ease of use. If someone of you, guys, has it, I would be really grateful if you checked for me, if it works with a small needle. Unfortunately, I do not have any shops nearby, that would let me try a device myself.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Fisher gold bug pro with the 5" coil on picks up a sewing needle at 3-4" pretty consistently in all metal mode of course. The GBP, F-19 and G2 are all identical as far as all metal mode is concerned. They can be purchased used in the $300-$450 range.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
K

klauszoll

Feb 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My .02c : So I'd say you're going to need a prospecting machine of some sort. Ie.: a nugget machine. Because guys that angle for nuggets (which are rarely ever bigger than a grain of rice) have the specialty machines made to ring-the-bells of notre dame or items as small as push pins, straight pins, bb's, etc..... So for example, the Minelab GPX series can probably get a needle to several inches deep with ease :) But it's a very squirelly beast to operate :)
After many days of reading, calling shops, asking questions, I came to the same conclusion as you. I probably need a device that is meant to detect gold nuggets, but I'd rather take something less complicated than Minelab GPX. Unfortunately nobody tests those on needles, so I have no real idea, if it will work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread