Found an abandoned wall, I decided to check out.

metaldetectorguy

Feb 21, 2011
SouthSide
Detector(s) used
Dual Field, CZ-21, V3i, VX3, Deus, BHID 300, Coinmaster GT, MX5, Ace 150, Ace 250, Gtax 1000, MXT Pro
So I located an abandoned wall from the late 50's. Not really sure what it went to but I went to check it out. Was quite disappointed in humanity upon arriving. I might return in the future across the canal but I need to be packing as there could be boars, gators panthers etc and although the Deus is awesome I do not think it makes a good weapon. Or if someone wants to join me that's cool too. They just have to be able to run slower than me ;) Maybe I'll just hit the beach tomorrow.

Upvote 0

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice video. I was waiting for a boa to slink out on ya........ Let me know what you find when you go back.

OP
OP
metaldetectorguy

metaldetectorguy

Feb 21, 2011
SouthSide
Detector(s) used
Dual Field, CZ-21, V3i, VX3, Deus, BHID 300, Coinmaster GT, MX5, Ace 150, Ace 250, Gtax 1000, MXT Pro
Nice video. I was waiting for a boa to slink out on ya........ Let me know what you find when you go back.
Yeah I was a bit nervous on this one. I wanted to go further but heard some stuff in the woods on the left and decided against it. I wouldn't mind the boas, pythons, or fatore it's the boars I worry about, them guys are nasty.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seems like those are walls to mark the entrance of a gated community area ... or trailer park ... maybe one that was never built. Doubt you'd find anything but trash left by homeless and teenagers partying.

But I love adventures like this. Why the heck not.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminds me of pink Floyd Nice post

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like those are walls to mark the entrance of a gated community area ... or trailer park ... maybe one that was never built. Doubt you'd find anything but trash left by homeless and teenagers partying.

But I love adventures like this. Why the heck not.

Agreed.

IMO...
You would need to get away from all the trash...
Walking back into the woods away from where you were... 100 yards or close to any clearings.

Might pay off doing some homework on your particular "spot"...
Like what was there BEFORE the road and walls.
Old maps...
Google historical imagery would prolly solve this "mystery" place in about 5 mins or less.

This is a recession development IMO.
Or an older private fail.

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
those bricks don't look too old.

Can't really see the bricks well enough to identify, but I agree with Tom. Got me curious for myself because there's a church in Floyd, VA erected in the early 1800's with home made bricks, and they do obviously look old. So, I Googled "Identify age of bricks", and found this link which also points to other links. Good info:

How to Trace Masonry Brick History | eHow

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bricks are pre-1950....

Showed my uncle the video. He has been a mason for 30 or so years.

Says the coloration and style are "most likely" from the 20's to 40's.....unless they are a good re-production....which these obviously do not appear to be.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He also added that whoever built it could have very well had a large brick yard with them as leftovers....so the bricks are pre-50's.....but the structure could have been in the 60's or 70's.....

Seeing as how only certain sections of the wall remain...and bricks are usually fairly sturdy....he still guesses a pre-50's structure.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem with dating things like this are...
Here in florida many times things like thisare made frpm "re-purposed" materials.

Meaning they have salvaged the bricks from somewhere else...
And used them in modern construction...
To "look" older than they are...
They are cheaper to buy generally and very common here... BUT no all of them... really old ones obviously fetch higher prices than evn new stock.
When a building of any real age is torn down here they salvage the bricks and re-sell them to those who... "want a look".

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Right, or someone who originally purchased that property had the turnoff installed and marked it with brick walls to identify the property. It may just be property they are sitting on as an investment. You see this all over... empty lots with a gate but nothing behind it, etc.

OP
OP
metaldetectorguy

metaldetectorguy

Feb 21, 2011
SouthSide
Detector(s) used
Agreed.

IMO...
You would need to get away from all the trash...
Walking back into the woods away from where you were... 100 yards or close to any clearings.

Might pay off doing some homework on your particular "spot"...
Like what was there BEFORE the road and walls.
Old maps...
Google historical imagery would prolly solve this "mystery" place in about 5 mins or less.

This is a recession development IMO.
Or an older private fail.

Yeah I researched as much as I could before just deciding to go and check it out. But in some old aerials it seems the wall was there is the late 50's however it did not appear to be anything other than cattle grazing land nearby. I am thinking that yes it might have been a community that was never developed. Being there was the old road and a bus stop bench. As for walking through the woods, I am not a big fan of walking through the woods in Florida without some sort of weapon. Things can get quite nasty out here. However the second area I was detecting was the entrance to an old farm but once again weaponless lol and didn't have a buddy to take with me at the time.

OP
OP
metaldetectorguy

metaldetectorguy

Feb 21, 2011
SouthSide
Detector(s) used
Can't really see the bricks well enough to identify, but I agree with Tom. Got me curious for myself because there's a church in Floyd, VA erected in the early 1800's with home made bricks, and they do obviously look old. So, I Googled "Identify age of bricks", and found this link which also points to other links. Good info:

How to Trace Masonry Brick History | eHow

Oh thanks for the info. I will be returning nearby and will stop by and grab a brick!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Still , it took time and humans to build.
A break time in the shade and a pocket drop always possible.
Plus being a structure... a pre G.P.S.way point for a cache if some one was so inclined.

OP
OP
metaldetectorguy

metaldetectorguy

Feb 21, 2011
SouthSide
Detector(s) used
Still , it took time and humans to build.
A break time in the shade and a pocket drop always possible.
Plus being a structure... a pre G.P.S.way point for a cache if some one was so inclined.

It is also obvious a lot of drunk people were out there and that could also mean some nice finds. There is just way too many cans above and below the surface.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
It is also obvious a lot of drunk people were out there and that could also mean some nice finds. There is just way too many cans above and below the surface.

Sure.
As with multiple sites..either a few people frequenting them over a long period of time ..or a lot of people frequenting them on occasion.. means they left evidence . Willingly or not.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Let's just say for sake-of-argument that the bricks WERE old . The same logic of a wall, chimney, cellar-hole, etc... would apply: The best such locations for those indicators of past structures, will ALWAYS be when they are away from modern influences. Like where they ceased to be habitated by the turn-of-century, and are removed now from modern junk . Like middle of nowhere type locations.

OP
OP
metaldetectorguy

metaldetectorguy

Feb 21, 2011
SouthSide
Detector(s) used
Can't really see the bricks well enough to identify,

Here is a closer shot of the bricks
Bricks.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions