NOOB WITH A QUESTION???

whitjake

Oct 12, 2013
Warren, Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold bug 2, fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to the hobby with only getting my machine last fall (Fisher F2). I have hunted ball fields and a few other places. I am not comfortable enough with it just yet to go and seek permissions. There is a State Hospital in my area and the place is huge. Most of the open green space is used for youth soccer. I am wondering if anyone has ever searched an active state hospital and or is it even possible to search the area. I know that most I would find is modern clad but you never know.... Any Ideas?

Upvote 0

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't hurt to ask. Lots of jewerly found on those sport feilds. Get a good pinpointer. Learn to pop shallow targets with a screwdriver and have a ball.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
A *state* (read "public") hospital, with huge open green spaces (soccer fields, etc...) ? I would not hesitate to hunt there, if I thought it would be good hunting. And seeing as how it's public, I wouldn't feel it necessary to ask permission. Unless there was a fence, and the public disallowed from being there for some reason ?

Yes detecting has admitted connotations (that frisbee flying or birdwatching doesn't). If you're skittish that someone might gripe (thinking you're about to leave holes), then go at lower traffic times when such lookie-lous are not bound to be there. But that's just me.

You could certainly ask, to pre-empt any such fears, but the problem then becomes, is that you could get an arbitrary and whimsical safe "no", when in fact, perhaps no one would ever have cared less.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Tom, go there when there isn't any activity, stay under the radar and dig neat plugs, use a towel if necessary.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Soccer field equals cleats, cleat equals chewed up, destroyed field. Doubt you could cause any worse damage than that. Go have fun. Gl HH

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:nono:Regardless of where you are hunting, removing good plugs while detecting is good practice and always pays off.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Aarrrrrrrrrrrr!!! :skullflag:

PGHDigger

Jan 3, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not sure if your talking about Warren State Hospital... But if you are... You will find more than clad that's for sure... The hospital was built in the 1880s... It was an asylum... Maybe still is...

OP
OP
W

whitjake

Oct 12, 2013
Warren, Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold bug 2, fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am talking about Warren State. I have never seen anyone MD the grounds but have thought about it a lot. Most I ever found there was when I found a roll of dollar bills in a bush lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions