Rejean

Greenie
Feb 13, 2016
Montreal
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello you all treasure hunter, i'm new to this, i'm completely deaf of one ear, and the other one i can only hear 50%
I want to buy a metal detecter.... Should i buy one with a panel oe a "old " fashion one with just button ?
I was thinking of buying the Tesoro Cibola with a 11"x8" coil, but i'm afraid that i can't hear very well the sounds it make...... So i was thinking of getting one with a visual panel.... Like the Garrett Ace 250....
Any sugestion woul be really appeciated... I want to spend no more than $500
Thank you all in advance & good hunting
Rejean

Upvote 0

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the party. I can't answer your question but I am sure it will be answered. Glad to have you here. Good Luck and Happy Hunting.

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rejean, I'd go with the AT Pro. I think the target ID display would keep you on the good stuff.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Sir, I salute you in your efforts. I personally don't know if I'd be up to doing that if I suffered your hearing loss.

There is such great pleasure in finding nice things in the soil, it's always such a wonderful surprise.

I don't know if you have any recourse except through target ID's. But I do know that the Garrett pro-pointer is set to vibrate as well as sound off. At least you'll have some peace there.

If you find any detector with a vibrating function, please post it here as I am certain it would be invaluable to others with hearing disorders.

I wish you the very best.

An edit to this, the Ace 250 works as a detector, but having owned one briefly, I just can't recommend it. But then I felt so darned "limited" by the Ace.... If you can find a way to swing it, go with the ATPro.

Last edited:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Makro Racer has a vibrating grip you can turn on when it detects metal for the hard of hearing.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think any detector could be outfitted with a vibrator in parallel with the speaker by a knowledgable
repairman. Then you could look at the AT PRO' screen to get a better idea of the Target.
Marvin

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Several Nokta detectors have vibration built in, perfect for your problem...

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi (salut) Rejean and welcome! I agree with GA_Boy, some vibrating device could be added to the grip or/and the arm rest. You'd have then more choice to find a detector of your liking, imho.

Last edited:

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with the vibration options but in your budget you can also get a decent detector and just use one earphone/earbud in your good ear. One with volume control on it to turn it up to where you want it. There are a lot of people that actually prefer to use one earphone! [emoji2]

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another alternative would be to add an amp between the detector and the earphones. This would not limit your choice of machines. Do a Google search for Radio Shack mini amplifier speaker cat# 277-1008C, or similar. You can either clip it as is on your hat as is or put a headphone or earbud in it. Also works excellent in snake country where you'd reeaally like to hear the buzz. Haven't timed it exactly, but the 9v battery lasts quite awhile.

With your can do attitude dealing with hearing loss I'm positive you'll do fine in this hobby!! Luck to you!!

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AT Pro. keep your eyes on the screen, swing slow, and find those Tight numbers....

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never considered that problem, however my MXT PRO has a nice visual display

prospexican

Nov 28, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gemini-3 best expert.
gpx 5000, fisher 2 box, whites sierra madre, eagle ll w big foot, gold bug, GMT, MD-5008, Detectron 2 box. etc. metrotech 480, and ferromagnetic magnetometer FX-3. fisher CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i saw a video on you tube were is supposed to say how to make a pint pointer, but even if they did not really showed how to do it, i notice something very interesting, they added a vibrator like the one used on cell phones, to get not only audio but also VIBRATE warning when a target is detect, you can contact some one with electronic knowledge to have them install a vibrating device to the audio and that way you can get audio and vibrate response on targets, also the fisher CZ-20 and the CZ-21 should have LED's that warn you when you are over the target, they do that because they are for sea or land and when you under water you get not only audio response but also a Led visual warning, on top of that you can buy a pro pointer or pint pointer whatever is called with vibrate and audio response, so you will have the whole kit, also head phones might be an answer, or an audio amplifier like the one they sell for Minelab metal detectors they really scream. lol.

prospexican

Nov 28, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gemini-3 best expert.
gpx 5000, fisher 2 box, whites sierra madre, eagle ll w big foot, gold bug, GMT, MD-5008, Detectron 2 box. etc. metrotech 480, and ferromagnetic magnetometer FX-3. fisher CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
by the way you can contact the metal detector's manufacturers and ask them to add a vibrate device, i wish to patent something like that. but now i am talking in public about mi idea lol, any way to many projects now.

OP
OP
R

Rejean

Greenie
Feb 13, 2016
Montreal
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello you all treasure hunter, i'm new to this, i'm completely deaf of one ear, and the other one i can only hear 50%
I want to buy a metal detecter.... Should i buy one with a panel oe a "old " fashion one with just button ?
I was thinking of buying the Tesoro Cibola with a 11"x8" coil, but i'm afraid that i can't hear very well the sounds it make...... So i was thinking of getting one with a visual panel.... Like the Garrett Ace 250....
Any sugestion woul be really appeciated... I want to spend no more than $500
Thank you all in advance & good hunting
Rejean
Thank you much you guys for all your sugestions, really appreciated... I'm going to check that Vibra Phone.... looks like a cool device Wow!!!!
I decide to buy the Teknetics Eurotek Pro metal detector (it has a nice big visual screen & some nice reviews) ... & a Garrett Pro-Pointer
Thanx you all
Rejean, Montreal, Qc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread