Detecting with my son

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been having some above freezing temps and the snow is melting so my son and i went out. He has never really had an interest in detecting but as of last year after a fun day on the beach hunting he has really taken a liking to the hobby. He asked me to show him how to hunt the local public parks so I was more than happy to oblige.

He is using my old detector (gave it to him last year) and is short on "gear" to accompany the machine (all part of todays lesson). His pinpoint ability is much better now and he is way jealous of my pro pointer. The ground was still pretty hard to work in but we were ale to cut small slits and do some shallow recoveries today. Came home with a huge pile of garbage and about a buck and a half in misc. coins. We/he dug every signal so he could learn the tones and see what produced them. Lots of work but a much needed experience for him.

He now has a list of must have items that he will need to hunt with in different areas (lesson complete :laughing7:) and I just ordered a new pin pointer (carrot) for myself so I can gift him mine

We talked about spots we should target for future hunts and are planning to make this a weekly event.

What a great day for me to be out with my Son.

Upvote 0

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like you had a great time. Hope you two share many more hunts in the future.:thumbsup:

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that's great! I can't wait until my little one is big enough to swing a machine!!!
She loves accompanying me as it is and loves using the pinpointer to help out. Lucky man, what a great and rewarding way to spend some time outdoors together!

The Dirt Fisherman

Oct 2, 2015
Greensboro NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta/Makro Simplex+, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my father and i go out every available sunday that we can =) last sunday we about froze to death and all that was found was an old buckle and a 1936 wheat. that was the first time hes out hunted me in a very long time. i found a fork lol. i cant tell you how much it means to me to spend that kind of quality time with him every week as i didnt get to while growing up cause he was always working. im glad to see there are other father son teams out there =)

OP
OP
fish1on

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Son and I have always done things together just not detecting. We fish, 4 wheel, snowmobile, water sports, caming, etc. He is 22 now so the detecting took a bit!

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good job dad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread