Im new and which metal detector is the best?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from White Plains, New York! :occasion14:

Short answer - There is no "Best" or "All Around" metal detector. You can spend $10,000.00 on a Minelab GPZ 7000 and STILL not have the right detector for 75% of the detecting you'll do. My advice to you is to start with a $400.00-$800.00 midline detector and learn the hobby.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Igigi,

I spent around $800 for my first detector about 20 years ago. Glad I did.

Interesting choice on a first detector. What made you single that one out?

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I bought a couple in the first six months... $200... then $700... what a waste of time and energy. I should have bought an XP Deus second, instead of third.

Once I got a Deus, I have not looked back... had for a year and a half with no regrets.

Do yourself a favor, you deserve it!

Murray8144

Aug 20, 2015
Essex County, NJ
Detector(s) used
eTrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lol

I am new and I'm considering spending about a grand on the garrett gti 2500, my question is this:

How many of you wish you would have started with a higher end detector?

i started with an F2, then an AT Pro, and now i'm looking at the E-Trac. I don't usually jump in with both feet into a new hobby. I'd rather test the waters inexpensively to make sure it's a hobby i'll like. And also, i've found plenty with the F2 and AT Pro. I'm four or so months in and have lots of silver, coppers, and jewelry. That being said, if i knew 6 months ago that i'd be hooked this bad, id have just bought the E-Trac right away.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You need to define what kind of hunting you will be doing. If you will be land hunting I'd go with the XP Deus over that older (heavy) Garrett design. I hunt with the F75 LTD SE, I'd also take the F75 SE over the GTI 2500. The XP Deus was still relatively new so I went with a proven high end VLF detector.

Like Tom, I had a couple detectors before I went top shelf. I always thought I'd like the hobby so about 5 years ago I bought a new Treasure Cove TC 1023 for under $100. I did not know how to use it, so it sat in the shed for 3 years. In late 2013 I discovered Tnet and the bug bit again. I learned how to set up the TC 1023 from reading posts here on Tnet. The TC 1023 had an 8" concentric coil so my depth was limited. If I did not really get into the hobby I would have only been out about $95. It just so happened that the detecting bug bit hard, so 2 months later I upgraded to a Fisher F4. It came with the stock 9" x 11" DD coil which gave me more depth. Both detectors paid for themselves within 4 months. I then wanted to get a detector with Boost process (so I could eke out a little more depth) so I kept my eyes open for a deal on either the T2 or F75 . Being that I am a coin shooter more than a relic hunter, I went with the F75. If I was more of a relic hunter I'd have gone with the T2.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Start with mid range detectors, Because if you jump into the High end stuff you might get frustrated when you have to learn the machine. With that said, I suggest getting a AT Pro, with the 5x8 coil, also eBay a NEL Tornado or CORS Strike coil. With that you have a detector that will cover all fields of hunting from parks, to open fields. All for under a grand. Dont forget a good Pin pointer!!! or you will be stuck waving fist full of dirt over your coil...

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Loco-Digger I bought the Garrett GTI 2500 in 2002 and it has very good depth and I found my share of clad - some silver and jewelry but the machine is heavy but it's still working. You might want to consider to have manual ground balancing on what ever machine you buy.

scotter1

Mar 16, 2014
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
whites dfx,xlt,idx,prism,tm 808,fisher gold bug,1280x,xp deuse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deus deus deus,theres no comparison

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO - E-Trac is by far the best for land, Excalibur for water.
Either way - take your time and learn the machine, you'll probably get frustrated at first, but stick with it!

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see the Deus for sale on EBAY for $799.00. How hard are they to learn?
Marvin

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
deus deus deus,theres no comparison

I wouldn't consider a deus an all 'round detector. Great land machine but not great in wet salt sand, and worse in the water. Just something to keep in mind should you vacation to FL.

OP
OP
I

Igigi

Tenderfoot
Feb 12, 2016
Fresno, ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok thanks everybody for responding first I want to take a couple things I definitely want to to hunt nuggets but jewelry as well depending on location or how much work I want to do that day I guess, I'm not scared of technology and become consumed with the science of things, I'm not worried about a learning curve, I welcome it. Also, beer guy, oNE reason was the price reduction on kelley co, and next was that dsp chip that that gives me a better idea at what I'm looking at, supposedly that's the only one that uses that specific technology, pretty fancy with graphics, read somewhere it's a good all around unit. Isn't it like 4.2 lbs? I will check out this deuce

OP
OP
I

Igigi

Tenderfoot
Feb 12, 2016
Fresno, ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need an all around unit because I do n o t want too much limitation or too many limitations

OP
OP
I

Igigi

Tenderfoot
Feb 12, 2016
Fresno, ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would you say that a machine with auto ground blanching is a limitation ?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If nuggets are on your radar the Gold Bug Pro, F-19, G2/ G2+, would be good machines to look at.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

garrett at pro lvr

Feb 20, 2016
callao va
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had one and went back to the AT PRO. Buy the garrett at pro you will never need a different one. Saying you are new keep the coil that's on it from factory then once you get comfy go with the 5x8 coil lot better when I a lot of iron(like I always seem to be)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions