PaJim

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Land Ranger Pro
Whites coinmaster

Garret AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you guys think using a hori hori gardening knife would be ok to dig in a state park where only screwdriver or ice pick type probing tools are allowed? I don't want to do anything illegal, just curious what you guys think about it... It does have a bit of a concave blade, but not like a trowel. Opinions?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop

Upvote 0

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Do you guys think using a hori hori gardening knife would be ok to dig in a state park where only screwdriver or ice pick type probing tools are allowed?

Personally, I'd go to the source (those who make the rules), but I'm gonna have to go with "no". Why not just use what's "allowed" and not worry about tickets/fines, or losing permission?

OP
OP
P

PaJim

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Land Ranger Pro
Whites coinmaster

Garret AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I researched and found an old house site and an old hotel within the state park boundaries. It's all wooded over now, and I thought digging with a screwdriver would be difficult in the roots. Point taken though. Thanks for the reply.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Round rasp? Or Narrow Chisel?

Round Rasp1.jpg

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
PAJim, you should be okay. long as it is not "Obvious to the world". like carrying a sampson shovel or the like... use the knife to cut plugs then put it away and use the screw driver to dig, i suggest a good sturdy Table spoon, this way they got nothing against you..

CladMoonRising

Jan 29, 2015
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't hunt state parks here in CA but I use a similar tool in city and county parks and haven't had issues. I talk with park staff all the time and I think the wooden handle gives it a low tech, non-threatening look.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1455690571.390704.jpg

plugger

Greenie
Feb 26, 2014
central ky
Detector(s) used
x-terra305 x-terra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
why not a dandelion digger the one that has a fork on the end

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could give it a try. If they give you a hard time just say you were carrying it in case you got tangled up in some vines in the wooded area. Like Liu21 said, you could use it to cut the plug then put it away and use something like an old tablespoon to dig around in the hole.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions