how to use your metal detector discimination?

hdetect

Feb 18, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi :hello:
In metal detecting world, the most frequently question is how to use your metal detector discimination?
Firstly,the metal discrimination tenet or principale is based on the measurement of the time shift between the transmitted and received signal by the searchcoil.
As we know that the coil includes two wire coils,one for transmitting and one other for receiving.
The transmitter coil generates an electromagnetic field of a few kHz,defined by metal detector manufacturer.
This transmitted signal is given as the reference signal for the discriminating device.
The receiver coil receives the same magnetic flux which will be more or less delayed in accordance with the material that set out the field produced by the transmitting coil.
This phase lag is analyzed by the discrimination system which will make a comparison between the reference and the received signal,then amplify the difference to the audible and visual circuit.
HOW TO USE DISCRIMINATION OF YOUR METAL DETECTOR:
As you tardily expand or increase discrimination, small pieces of metallic trash and ground mineralization are rejected.As you expand the discrimination,small nails, foil, and even some good targets such as gold rings will be rejected.
The best way to learn the discrimination points of your detector is to squander or scatter some sample targets, such as coins and foil on the ground from 30cm to 50cm apart. Starting at lowest discrimination point of your detector, scan every target.Gradually increase discrimination and record the results. With practice, you should be able to determine whether or not to dig by listening closely to the target signals.
Good luck friends

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet Discrimination will change when these items are in the ground now its ground and ferris or non ferris and mineralization and moisture. I use no discrimination I like to go by sound for targets I I have had a silver dollar reading in the high 50s if it was on the ground it would be 90s in theory it can betray The detected item is a known but what lies between the top of the ground and depth of the item can make discrimination useless or hurtfull

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never scatter anything on the ground, all it really does is confirm what you know. I prefer to go to a known trashy area and dig every signal. I always detect by sound and only use the vdi for confirmation of what I think I detected. On occasion if I am on a hunt and my detector has been silent for a long time I will throw a coin on the ground just to make sure it is working properly otherwise I never practice on surface objects. I never did the garden thing either because you have disturbed the soil so there are no other influences on the buried coin or item.

Those things are ok to establish a base line but nothing works better than hours of hunting and experience. Every detector takes at least 100 hours to become efficient with and some up to year.

I forgot who wrote the post a long time ago but he had been detecting for over 40 years. He said learn you detector and it won't fail you.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can tell you is you turn that discriminal thingy OFF when you are in the wuds Relic huntin' and dig ever little beep.:laughing7:
Marvin

CladiatorMax

Nov 1, 2012
Garden Grove, California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II & Sovereign GT / Garrett Carrot / Stavr Scoops
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The simple answer is...all the advice in the world still leads you to learn your machine and better understand the environment your hunting in. Remember that air testing does very little as its an unrealistic measure of how the coil will respond in the targets actual environment (mineralized sand, hot dirt, above or below iron, around trash etc.). Turn on that heater and start learning from the location of your hunt! listen, learn, record, remember. GL&HH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread