Miniature coins, like the half dime.

MarySeminole

Dec 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Miniature coins, like the half dime are so hard to find because we don't think about their signature.
When using the Explorer, we only think about the obvious (signals). How many times do we look at 07 24-27 signals?
We're tuned into the 01 29's or the 3 29's, those high numbers or high pitch sounds that we neglect the iffy and faint signals.
Sorry for rambling, I opened the Grey Goose. grey-goose-vodka.jpg

Upvote 0

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indeed, they are small in comparison to other US coins.:occasion14: Half dime is smallest----looks miniature compared to the Dollar.
Marvin

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
If I'm in 19th Century spot I will dig those signals on my Minelab,but in more modern spots I do pass them up.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I agree with LI Tom: There are some places where you are wiser to pass those mid range TID's. Yes, gasp, you would miss certain size gold rings, or a half-dime. But there are certain blighted parks where you would just go bonkers digging trash in that same TID range. So in certain situations, I go into cherry-pick mode. But in relicky situations, beach situations, then sure: dig all except iron, etc....

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Indeed, they are small in comparison to other US coins.:occasion14: Half dime is smallest----looks miniature compared to the Dollar.
Marvin

The trime is quite dismayed that you stated that the half dime was the smallest US coin.

The trime says that he is a full 40% lighter!

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with LI Tom: There are some places where you are wiser to pass those mid range TID's. Yes, gasp, you would miss certain size gold rings, or a half-dime. But there are certain blighted parks where you would just go bonkers digging trash in that same TID range. So in certain situations, I go into cherry-pick mode. But in relicky situations, beach situations, then sure: dig all except iron, etc....

I've dug 4 half dimes. They all were closer to a zinc penny than anything else.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smarty pants, you are correct.:occasion14:
Marvin

Both the Capped Bust and Seated Liberty designs were used for half dimes struck during 1837. The Act of Jan. 18, 1837 authorized the new Seated Liberty design and also authorized a coin of the slightly lower weight of 20.625 grains struck of .900 fine silver. The diameter remained at 15.5 millimeters.[SUP]10

[/SUP]
[h=3]Three-cent piece (United States coin) - Wikipedia, the free ...[/h]https://en.wikipedia.org/.../Three-cent_piece_(United_States_c...

Wikipedia

The mint produced two different three-cent coins: the three-cent silver and the ... The coins were physically the lightest weight coins ever minted by the United States, ... P – 139,000; 1856 P – 1,458,000; 1857 P – 1,042,000; 1858 P – 1,603,700 ...

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The trime is quite dismayed that you stated that the half dime was the smallest US coin.

The trime says that he is a full 40% lighter!

And the Type 1 $1 gold coin is even more dismayed... Though admittedly that has a smaller diameter, not mass.

Last edited:

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And the Type 1 $1 gold coin is even more dismayed...

I read about some guys found an old military fort in Nevada or Utah. They dug quite a few gold coins of all demoninations. They said the $1 gold coin sounded like a small ball of foil. The pictures of their finds are unbelievable.

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back to the subject at hand... I've been trying to get some of those smaller coins just to air test and see what they read on my machine.

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My tiny half reale 1600s spanish cob came up at 85 @ 9". This was modified basic one on an xp deus -1 silencer, 0 reactivity, 3 iron audio all other settings factory. Clean clear and high in the tone albeit a tad faint noting the target was small or deep.

Gold is tough.... tough tough tough. But silvers even small ring well on the deus tone and vdi

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry i wandered I don't have personal experience but they do. I was trying to be helpful.

Sorry if it seemed like I was taking a swipe at you, it was more a swipe at myself :p

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread