Newbie to the site: what is better Garrett Ace 250 or Whites Prizm II?

travis608

May 22, 2007
South Western WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Upvote 0

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
welcome aboard, never used either machine, most go with the ace 250, ive enjoyed the whites detectors that i have had, there tuff as heck. good luck choosing.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Six of one half dozen of the other. I've read very good reports on both. Check out the forum on Owners posting about different machines. Monty

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum. Either of these will give you lots of satisfaction. There have been many that speak praise of the ACE 250 for the price. As for which is better, depends on what you want to spend.

Call Tony, he can help........http://www.tcmetaldetectors.com/

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i agree with the others, both are very good. i like the ace 250 for the $.

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
Have the Prizm II. Like it much.

I'm a newcomer to this hobby too.

Haven't found the lost pirate treasure yet but did find enough clad the other day to get an ice cream sandwich as the little ice cream truck went by.

Did find a soda can from 1987, 14 inches down in the sand in South Carolina a few months ago. I was just learning my machine and dug anything. Heck, I still do. That's how I got enough ice cream money. ;D

My best advice....turn the sensitivity DOWN and don't lose the little plug that fits in the earphones hole. I lost mine and I think I've let moisture get inside. Bad bad, yes I know. But so far it hasn't affected anything. Fingers crossed for the future.

Good luck and have fun, whichever unit you decide to buy.

OP
OP
T

travis608

May 22, 2007
South Western WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Thanks for all the replies. I figured they would be similar to this but I still had to find out for sure. I have found a package deal for the Ace 250 for 212.00 and the Prizm II for about 199.00. Are these about the best prices you can find for these MD's? Thanks again!

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
Check the White's website. They had a coupon on there when I purchased my MD and I think it was for $50 off. Took the coupon to my local dealer and they accepted it no problem.

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Both good buys. Check to see if you can get a package deal with an extra coil on one of them. It would increase the value allot.

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
I bought an Ace 250 for less then $195

including shipping off ebay, brand new!!! Some dealers sell new detectors and looked for a few days. One dealerwas selling five or six a day. Checked to see his rating and no problems, and was shipped fast and have enjoyed using it. Prism is another good detector and either way you wil be happy!! Good Luck!

aladdin

Mar 1, 2007
Well , just to get my wife into MD ing I got a prizm 2 /it works and ID's great / have not dug a thing so far that it did not ID correctly /dry sand /trash area's it does great/ I've got more expensive units by minelab and white / but I have to admit I'm impressed by the prizm 2/ for what it is / I rate it a 7 on a scale of 1-10/ 10 being the best !!! Great starter unit/ do not waste time on the 3/4 prizm's . Go to metaldetectorreveiws.com great site for best reviews.

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Ace 250 over the Prizm 2
Tone ID
More ID segments
True notch
AA batteries
Cheaper and more coils
Preset modes that can be adjusted
Remembers adjustments

Prizm2 over the 250
Pinpoint can be locked on (all metal)
Internal GB and threshold adjustment

Ace 250 is superior to the Prizm 2
For the true notch feature and more and cheaper coils. AA batteries and price. It out performs any Prizm model.

OP
OP
T

travis608

May 22, 2007
South Western WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Thanks for all of your help! I will be going with the Ace 250 within the next couple of weeks or so. Again thanks for all of your post.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread