Newbie with questions. Beeping Rock!!

K

kittnrose

Hi All... I'm new to metal detecting, I have an Outlaw detector that I bought off Ebay. So far I've dug up a rusty shovel head and a bunch of spikes, all from the back field @ my parent's house (used to be a dairy farm)...Here I also found a large rock that sets off the detector. I thought detectors were supposed to ignore rocks. I set the discriminate and sensitivity according to the instructions, and this rock still sets it off....??? It's sure not gold. Thanks for your time...M P.S. I'm in Northwest CT, Windham County

Upvote 0

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
the rock probably has iron or some other metal in it. they are called hot rocks since they set your machine off. we have `em here too.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Don't know where you are located,and without pics,it's difficult to say.It could be as hollowpointred says,a hot rock or it could be a meteorite,just not enough info.

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
As a fellow connecticut-tonian, I can a attest to the fact that I have come across more than my fair share of "hot" rocks here. I don't know what their composition is..but most of the time they ring up on my Ace as a dime...I just chuck 'em and keep swinging....BTW....welcome to Tnet..

Ammietuar

Sep 18, 2005
Suffolk UK
Detector(s) used
MXT/PI Pro/Garrett GS
on both my whites (mxt and classic 2) and my garrett GS, hot rocks seem to make a "BOING" sound or no sound then a hard loud and sudden beep when it has cleared the coil, rather than the solid "beep" youd get from any peice of metal under the coil.. hope that helps....

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
its the "metal" minerals in the rock---try turning down the sen knob a bit if your getting alot static from these rocks in the area this can help sometimes--if your machine is "adjustible" that is----Ivan

Stacylee926

Dec 29, 2006
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Discovery 1100
I found the same thing about a week or 2 ago. My son was learning rocks and minerals in science (this is high school) so the timing was great. He took it to his teacher and the guy thought it was probably pumice. Mine was very light and felt rather porus.

I had no idea pumice has metal in it....

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
it basically old lava rock ---old molten lava thats bound to have (dissolved metals & ) minerals in it from deep within the earth----Ivan

Ammietuar

Sep 18, 2005
Suffolk UK
Detector(s) used
MXT/PI Pro/Garrett GS
in new mexico, we have alot of alkaline salts that will give you false signals. ive had fossil bearing limestone and also some solid iron looking chunks of rock that will both set my detectors off. not too sure on it, but i believe that when you have wet alkaline salts inside a rock of any sort it will give you a beep, becasue the wet salts will conduct electricty. also when you have any igneous rock that has a substantial amount of a metal in it like the iron ones here, itll give ya a signal too. now im not a geologist, but what id do is put a magnet to it and if it sticks its probably one of 2 things... either an iron hot rock (very common) or a meteorite... youd need to look at some others to be sure but if its a meteorite congrats cause they are more valueable than gold....... if the magnet dont stick, id break it open and find out what is setting the detector off, maybe something shiny and metallic!... or just some grainy wet salts.... GL!!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Probably a chunk of good 'ol magnetite (aka "lodestone"). Detectors think it is the best stuff in the world. It's a variety of magnetic iron ore.

Magnetite5.jpg

If it not only attracts a magnet, but is slightly (or highly) magnetic itself it is likely magnetite.

Here is some found in New York

magneti1.jpg

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
sometimes a bolt of lightening hits a metal iron type deposit on the surface or very near it---the effect is a magnetically charged iron hunk or "rock" ---or lodestone as they were often called in the days of old---they were thought to be mystical items long ago--they could be used to assist in navation and were--Ivan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread