jernigan00

Sep 14, 2005
Oswego, New York
Detector(s) used
DFX, Excalibur ll, Ace 250
Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently bought my DFX and am liking it a great deal, however, I encountered a glitch I did not anticipate and am wondering how the rest of you are dealing with it.

I have found that the coil wants to float to the point that MDing in a foot of water requires a bunch of effort keeping the coil submerged. After a couple minutes, it leads to arm and wrist fatigue making it a 2 handed operation. I havn't heard of anyone else complaining of this problem. Maybe I'm the lazy one of the bunch :)

If anyone can tell me:
1. my machine is unique by having a buoyant coil (possibly due to coil cover),
2. I really am lazy, or,
3. its normal and here's how I've dealt with the problem.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

detectordave

Apr 6, 2005
Ann Arbor Meechigan
Detector(s) used
DFX WITH DX-1 PROBE AND XLT WITH XL-1 PROBE
WOW! And here I thought I was the only one. I love my DFX but I have the same trouble. I never thought of it maybe being the coil cover. Sorry no advice, but misery loves company. lol. I'm anxious for an answer too. HH dave.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The answer to your question is .......
The DFX is a land machine and the coil and machine were made for land.
So the coil will have a buoyant property to it.

Underwater machines have a special made coil that is weighted to let the coil
rest on or near the bottom.

I believe all land machines would do the same, the reason you don't hear so much about it here is because most people probably don't go hunting in waist deep water
(or something where the coil has to be submerged consistantly)
you might try small sandbag weights, non metalic, or see if Whites make a weighted coil
for the DFX.

(I also use a DFX but not under water )

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
Just a couple quick things...

first, if you're using your DFX in the water... be VERY careful... you don't want to end up with a $1200 paperweight. It is not designed to get wet... not even weatherproof, and it will not stand up to an accidental dunking.

second... lose the coil cover. Take it off and coat the bottom and sides of the coil with a marine epoxy or a spray on truck liner. the weight is negligible, and the protection you get is outstanding... Also, when it starts to wear out (if ever) you just need to touch it up or reapply.

finally... if the coil is floating, get a small bag, fill it with sand, and then zip tie it to your coil's shaft. The added weight will keep it from floating. I've done this with my surfmaster pi... (i didn't have the weighted coil) and it works very well. just make sure there isn't anything that will set off the detector in the bag, or the material inside of it.

Just remember, it is a land machine... and for God's sake... KEEP IT DRY
steve

OP
OP
jernigan00

jernigan00

Sep 14, 2005
Oswego, New York
Detector(s) used
DFX, Excalibur ll, Ace 250
Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks a bunch for the replys and the advice.

Spez/Torrero, thanks for the warnings on the water tightness. I have heard much about simple ways to help slow water intrusion incase of a quick dunk such as black tape over the speaker holes (for light rain maybe), seran wrap, sandwich baggies, plastic grocery bags, etc. over both battery box and control pad. But then your warning still stands..... "$1200 paperweight". Nope. It's not worth it. A whole lot of Ace 250 finds, ie clad, went into this new ^$ machine.

I have had luck with my Ace, coil submerged, since its coil is resin formed and has a relatively small surface area compared to the full disk type.

Thanks all

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Keep the DFX out of the water. Get a water machine. If you like the DFX the Beach hunter would be great get the weighted coil for the water when you buy it.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Listen to Steve as he's the man. This is why you NEED another machine for just the water.

I had a Beach Hunter ID with the floating coil and had to add a weighted sock to the shaft which created water resistance. Whites doesn't advertise that the coil you get with the BH is not weighted like all other water machines made. Sure they make one for the Beach Hunter, but you have to special order it when you purchase or send it in later.

I just gave mine to dumb brother in law. He still doesn't know the difference.........

detectordave

Apr 6, 2005
Ann Arbor Meechigan
Detector(s) used
DFX WITH DX-1 PROBE AND XLT WITH XL-1 PROBE
Just to be clear. I am hunting in "ankle" deep water or so. Just don't want anyone thinking I'm neck deep with the DFX lol. On the side of being careful, don't raise your machine while the coil is wet either, it runs down the shaft to the box. I am glad someone asked this question. HH dave.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread