Advice on metal detecting for someone who knows nothing

ThinIce

Dec 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm interested in metal detecting, but to be honest I know nothing of it. I don't have one, but I am wondering what decently priced metal detector could I purchase that would last me for quite a while and pay itself off. I don't want to have to "replace" the detector since that just adds more cost, but at the same time, a $500 is a fairly high investment for a 21 year old college student. I live in Iowa, and my girlfriend's parents lives on a farm dated back to the mid 1800s. I figured I'd start there if anything (obviously getting permission from her dad first so I wouldn't dig a gas line or anything).

Also tips on where to look, how to go about getting permission to do so, etc. is appreciated. Thank you.

Upvote 0

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I think the Garrett AT Pro would be a good choice in your area. You can grow into it and use it in the rivers and creeks.
As to why, what and where all that is and has been posted in these forums so as read what's been said, you will get a fairly good understanding of the above.
Start in your own backyard to learn some skills and go from there.
Always remember to take your trash with you and fill the holes.
Keep one eye and ear out while your busy being distracted.
Best of luck out there!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are many books on metal detecting on Amazon.

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the Garrett AT Pro would be a good choice in your area. You can grow into it and use it in the rivers and creeks.
As to why, what and where all that is and has been posted in these forums so as read what's been said, you will get a fairly good understanding of the above.
Start in your own backyard to learn some skills and go from there.
Always remember to take your trash with you and fill the holes.
Keep one eye and ear out while your busy being distracted.
Best of luck out there!

Rustygold is right. Get the AT Pro. It's easy to learn how to use and will work great for your area. It's a very nice machine. I paid for mine in finds in 2-3 weeks.

Whiplash00

Jan 21, 2016
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do what they said ^^ I got the Ace 350 and been kickin myself ever since. This site has a lot of experienced people so read as much info as you can and it will save you a lot of time in the field. YouTube is another source. Good luck!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Hum... an 1800's farm huh?

Never been detected...

Probably best to invite a bunch of folks over from TN for a big weekend hunt.

If you set up a BBQ grille and serve some dog's and burger's, more people will come.

That way you will see a bunch of different machines in action. You will also see different digging tools and techniques in use. All of this will provide you with a wealth of information to make your pre-purchase decisions on.

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't think you need to go out and buy a truckload of tools and gear. Detecting is like any other hobby, a target for sales marketing. You need a detector, and something to dig with, period. Yes, you'll hear the reasons why headphones are nice/helpful, as are knee pads, pinpointers, pouches, etc., but it seems you're talking minimalist.

Like many, you don't even list a general location, so you'll have to determine if you need a machine with ground balance out for yourself. Learn to pinpoint with what ever detector you get. Tesoro has a Lifetime Warranty (to original owner), which is a bonus. Many spent lots of money on their 1st detector, only to have them collect dust after the "fun" wears-off, or they get sold. Starting-out with a good, but inexpensive detector isn't a bad idea.

Start thinking about where else you want to hunt after the GF's family spot. I see many come here and want someone else to give them a place to hunt instead of learning the research process themselves. Research is part of it, start looking for places on your own now, you may decide it's too much work and the hobby isn't for you.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Rustygold is right. Get the AT Pro. It's easy to learn how to use and will work great for your area. It's a very nice machine. I paid for mine in finds in 2-3 weeks.

I have a question for you and I am not trying at all to call you a liar. He is in Iowa and probably land locked. I can't imagine ANYONE on land paying off a 600.00 machine in two or three weeks. Did you find gold in the water with it?

My problem is two-fold. 1. It is unrealistic to find that much clad or silver in the ground in such a short time. And 2. There is a person on anther site that has claimed over a grand a year in unhunted schools in clad in southern California. Last year over 1500.00. He also claimed he found a huge gold ring and it was proven it was plated.

AS I SAID. Your paying it off in that short of time only makes me believe you found gold with it and that is very doable. My best year was 27 thousand dollars in rings and chains.

I just feel the new people going out don't need to have super high expectations that they can buy a machine and pay for it fast. I hope I am understood.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Hum... an 1800's farm huh?

Never been detected...

Probably best to invite a bunch of folks over from TN for a big weekend hunt.

If you set up a BBQ grille and serve some dog's and burger's, more people will come.

That way you will see a bunch of different machines in action. You will also see different digging tools and techniques in use. All of this will provide you with a wealth of information to make your pre-purchase decisions on.

Good one!! He would also see his virgin spot cleaned out right before his eyes!!!

I like it thought!

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
How often do you go to find 27 grand?

That was my best year and only one year. Last year was only 3,600.00. It helps when one of your finds alone was worth 14 grand.

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a question for you and I am not trying at all to call you a liar. He is in Iowa and probably land locked. I can't imagine ANYONE on land paying off a 600.00 machine in two or three weeks. Did you find gold in the water with it?

My problem is two-fold. 1. It is unrealistic to find that much clad or silver in the ground in such a short time. And 2. There is a person on anther site that has claimed over a grand a year in unhunted schools in clad in southern California. Last year over 1500.00. He also claimed he found a huge gold ring and it was proven it was plated.

AS I SAID. Your paying it off in that short of time only makes me believe you found gold with it and that is very doable. My best year was 27 thousand dollars in rings and chains.

I just feel the new people going out don't need to have super high expectations that they can buy a machine and pay for it fast. I hope I am understood.

How often do you go to find 27 grand?

LOL, $600 in 2 weeks is $300/week. $27,000 in 52 weeks is almost $520/week.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm interested in metal detecting, but to be honest I know nothing of it. I don't have one, but I am wondering what decently priced metal detector could I purchase that would last me for quite a while and pay itself off. I don't want to have to "replace" the detector since that just adds more cost, but at the same time, a $500 is a fairly high investment for a 21 year old college student. I live in Iowa, and my girlfriend's parents lives on a farm dated back to the mid 1800s. I figured I'd start there if anything (obviously getting permission from her dad first so I wouldn't dig a gas line or anything).

Also tips on where to look, how to go about getting permission to do so, etc. is appreciated. Thank you.

I checked the internet and PM'd you a URL. Here is a deal where you get the best bang for the buck if you are near St Joseph, MO You can get an Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sand Scoop, and Headlamp for $160. I use a small shovel from walm rt and it only costs $9. I use a nail apron as my finds pouch and these cost less than a dollar at many places. For manicured permissions or highly visible public parks I use a Lesche digger. SO you can be completely outfitted for less than $250. I started with an El Cheapo detector, it paid for itself then I upgraded to a used mid level detector (Fisher F4). In a few months it paid for itself and I ran into a great deal on a F75 LTD SE. If the hobby is not for you, you will not have much invested and should be able to recoup your funds.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
What did you find worth 14k? Do you have pictures of it?

I am not one to hijack threads. You can find a picture under the heading My best finds.

Now back to our regularly scheduled discussion.

Crappies-n-Coins. That 27 grand was ALL gold, and ALL underwater finds. 300.00 a week on land in clad? As I said, I am not saying it is impossible or you didn't do it. I just wanted to know if that is what you meant or you have been using it underwater for gold.

I am really not trying to be confrontational here.

OP
OP
T

ThinIce

Dec 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So more about my location, as I see this thread is all over the place. I live in Iowa City so I'd have to drive out in order to find a new place to dig. There are some areas I could start with (there's a local stream near my park, a couple ponds, the Iowa River, etc.) but much of it is open farm.

As for my expectations on findings, I don't expect to find thousands of dollars quickly. I just need something that can potentially find all the precious metals I would scan for in the ground or nearby area.

Last edited:

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first machine I bought was a Fisher F4 – somewhere around $350 if I recall correctly. I wanted to try the sport out before investing too much money.

Were I to start all over again today, I'd start out with the Eurotek pro (a bit over $200) or a Tesoro Compadre (about $165) and use it until I really knew the machine. That would give me the opportunity to see if I liked the sport (or not) and I wouldn't have too much money invested. I'd also look at good used machines.

You'll also need something to dig with – a shovel will work just fine in farm fields – and headphones (they help you hear the faint signals). I can't imagine not having a pin pointer, but lots of people hunt without them.

In all, assuming you already have something to dig with, I'd guess that you can get all the essentials for a total of $350 or so, and the resell value would be somewhere around $200 - $250 if you discover that the sport isn't for you.

I think there are considerations more important than the brand/model of equipment though.

Research your area for places to hunt. Look at old maps, talk to people (especially history buffs or “seasoned citizens”). Look for places where people congregated over the years – parks, swimming holes, etc.. Get permission for private property and make sure it is legal to hunt the public property.

Learn your machine. Go to dealers and hold the machines, practice swinging them, have the dealer explain all the details (of how the machine works) and buy the machine that feels best to you. If you have friends who metal detects, go out with them and use their machines for a bit to see how you like them.

Practice in your own yard. Put various items down and learn the sounds of each item. Bury a test plot if you can do so. Dig everything at first – it'll help you learn what your machine is telling you.

Think about joining a club. It will give you the opportunity to learn from more experienced people and you'll probably see a variety of machines. It will also give you more areas to hunt.

At your age I would not spend a lot of money on a machine until I knew, for sure, that the sport was something that I'd like and continue.

Most of all – have fun.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started with an Ace 250 in S. IL I bought it in Aug of 2012 and bought my ATPro in Nov of 2012 and by Jan I had both paid for hunting parks and ball fields. He may not pay for one in 3 weeks but it can be done in a cpi of months

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
It's like playing the lotto-

That next tone might buy you a house.

My next tone usually gets me one pull tab closer to building a rocket ship.

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try to borrow a detector and make sure that metal detecting is for you since money is tight. If you can borrow a few different ones, then you'll have a better idea of what you like and what you don't as far as the machines, and you'll also know if you like the hobby. To stay on budget, you could always go with a gently used newer machine, such at a Garrett AT-Pro, and get a good set of headphones and maybe pick up a pin-pointer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions