dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe all you need is the guts to ask. I get a yes 90 percent of the time.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Great question - there are a few floating around - here are a few...

markt67

Dec 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI welcome I have been looking for a form but I found out that it's a lot easier to get permission to hunt by just asking I've only been turned away a couple of times each time I thank them for there time and went on my way. Most people don't feel comfortable with the idea of signing a contract I would like though to find a insurance company to cover me.i do believe that it would put most home owners at ease. Some just want to know what you find .I generally ask if the owner has ever lost anything .that maybe I can find and get back to them. A little small talk about the age of the home and others in the area helps to. Hope this helps . Mark T. .. posted a reply on your other question about locations

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
dirtscratcher and vp-navy are right: Ask verbally . Forget forms, contracts, written permissions, etc... Because think of it: What would YOU do if a total stranger shows up at your door with a contract for you to sign ? The only thing THAT does, is conjur up images of some sort of risk, liability, hassles, etc..... Hence much better to just ask in a verbal agreement and handshake.

The only exception would be if THEY say they want something in writing. Otherwise, written contracts are often the fastest way to get a "no".

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Post-script: Sometimes, if the person says no to a verbal request, they might follow it up like this: "No because of liability concerns". Or "no because we feel like you could find something valuable", or "no because of holes".

And your knee-jerk reaction *might* be to think "gee if I just had a written contract addressing all those issues, then this person would say "yes". But don't be so sure. Because often time, whenever you hear those old song & dances, it's NOT because they're concerned about those things. Those are just the "go to" reasons, to politely say 'no'. The real reason is, they just don't want to be bothered. So no amount of remedying those things, or showing up at their door with contracts, will cause them to change. Those were just the "go-to" reasons.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed, don't offer a contract, but, have one on hand in case THEY ask for one. The only exceptions that come to mind, if it's an insurance deal or you're searching for a known cache and you're promised a percentage as payment. I have my contracts separate as to permission, split percentage, and liability. Provide what they ask for and nothing more. No point in giving them ideas to ponder too much.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions