New to Metal Detecting!

Troller

Mar 5, 2016
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5 DD, Si Robertson TC2X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just picked up a couple of metal detectors from Kelly Co. I am very happy with these two detectors although I feel that I will have a lot to learn with the Fisher F5. It came with the DD coil which I only have a rudimentary understanding of how it works and or the benefits over a concentric coil. The Si Robertson TC2X was purchased at the same time because I felt that it was a nice entry level detector that I could use as I learned and in the event that I became frustrated with the F5. I found both detectors to be fairly easy to set up I really like the analog knobs on the F5. I am really looking forward to the summer when my wife and I visit Florida. I plan to go beach combing near Tarpon Springs and Charlotte Harbor. Yep that's right going after Gaspars treasure!!! OK not really, but I think it will be a good way to spend the day. In reality I am more interested in relic hunting. I am a civil war buff so hopefully someday I will be able to find something, anything related to that era!

Does anyone have any suggestions on places to Detect. Its pretty restrictive here in Wisconsin. Pretty much all we have is old Farms that are privately owned. I am actually very close to Lake Michigan and there are quite a few shipwrecks just off the shore, the SS Wisconsin being one of them! Still any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Upvote 0

fireaero1

Jul 14, 2012
Gallitzin,pa
Detector(s) used
white eagle ll SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to t/net old farms are good to m/d. Get permission first. good luck. tom in central pa

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Schools, tot lots and parks, your yard, neighbors yards, soccer and other ball fields, and anywhere else one can legally detect. Treasure is everywhere because people have been losing things since the beginning of time. Good luck!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get confidant and good at recovery in someone's lawn or at a park first, or better yet, learn your skills in a plowed field or the woods. Learn all you can about your detectors, practice, practice, PRACTICE...!
Each might give you different info on the same kind of target..., so pay attention to differences.
Beach sand will give sensitive machines the fits, and wet will mess up a detector that isn't waterproof or protected.
Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

OP
OP
Troller

Troller

Mar 5, 2016
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At first it seemed like neither detector liked sand. The first place I went was a little beach down the road from my mothers house. The detectors wouldn't stop giving off hits. It was constant chatter. I tried to do a ground grab with the TC2X to get a good ground balance. I kind of expected that there would be some issues in that both detectors were fresh out of the box and I hadn't worked with them at all. I have been out several times since with the F5 and I have learned more about what to dig and what not to dig. On occasion I still dig pull tab signals in the even they might be gold but they were exactly what the the detector had indicated... Pull tabs. Most of my signals have indicated a relatively shallow depth on all of my finds. I believe the deepest was 6 inches. I really want to do some beach combing over the summer so I will have to figure out how to adjust both machines for sand. It also looks as though both of them came with waterproof coils.

OP
OP
Troller

Troller

Mar 5, 2016
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grats on your new toys. Good luck

Thanks! I am excited to start out in this new hobby. Actually I just like being outside and the thrill of the hunt. Of course everyone wants to find something awesome, but I also just like being outside and on the hunt. Finding stuff is just kind of a bonus.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Here are a couple of tips for you:

- Build you a test garden: Go to the backyard and test an area to make sure that there is nothing there. Then bury (at assorted depths) some targets, both good ones and trash. Then practice on them. I hunt for coins, so that is what is in my test garden. It doesn't hurt to take a target with you, to try in the field.

- It's not the machine. It's the hunter. You HAVE to learn the machine. It takes some time, but that is the "trick". If you switch machines, it will take you longer to become proficient with either one of the.

- Public places have been hit. Old schools and parks are the obvious targets, they have all been hit many times. That has never stopped me from hitting them again, and I have found a lot of good stuff at places that are "hunted out". Don't shy away from public spots! The more clad you dig, the better you will get at finding coins.

- Permissions at house built before the 1950s is a large part of my hunting. When you see a good one, write the address down, look it up and see who owns it and how old it is. If it is really old, research the place. The owner is WAY more likely to let you hunt, if you demonstrate that you are truly interested in THEIR history.

- Lastly, make sure that each and every time you hunt, you have fun. This is really important!

I look forward to seeing your finds!

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Fuzzy, learn all the tips and tricks you can from anywhere you can. They all help even if you think you know them. UTube is a great source as well

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some articles ive written - some may help - some should inspire
https://www.flickr.com/photos/casper-2/