My Video Review of Deteknix XPointer vs Garrett AT. DO NOT BUY Deteknix!

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there's something wrong with it. My Garrett at has developed problems. Happens to the best. Well maybe not the best is the whites, mine is 3 years old and works like new.

metaldetectorguy

Feb 21, 2011
SouthSide
Detector(s) used
Dual Field, CZ-21, V3i, VX3, Deus, BHID 300, Coinmaster GT, MX5, Ace 150, Ace 250, Gtax 1000, MXT Pro
Oh man just when I was about to buy one too.....

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
LOL, somewhere I've got an old $17 Harbor Freight that does better than that.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The XPointer Wader Li is probably different than the $89 standard XPointer. My XPointer doesn't seem to have that issue, and I just found a small 1'6 gram Gold ring before Winter. Tested it on wife's rings and and can't find any that the Xpointer doesn't detect. I can understand the lose of depth turning the ring perpendicular to the tip. That's like air testing coins perpendicular to a coil.

But I do see your point, and agree that the Wader Li has issues and needs to be improved. But I can't duplicate the Li's issue with the regular XPointer.

Thanks for the heads up, Skippy.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good heads up post Skippy.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
My Garrett Pro-Pointer is now over 3 years old, used it yesterday when swinging my 1260X. The PP has been abused, but it still likes me :) Great battery life as well - still using last year's battery.

Thanks for the great post Skippy! I was under the impression the Detectnix would be a step up from the PP. And now I know it's just a knock-off...

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pffft...

I have been a 580 fan since sheeeeesh.. first one lasted till the day I looked down and it was gone.
Still looking for it. :P

I replaced it through KellyCo Via Treasure Hunter last year sometime.
Like my original...
This one picked up right from where my old one left off.
I used a 360 that had come long ago with a detector purchase... also through Kco whilst I searched for my lost buddy...
But then could not take it anymore...
Alo have had 2 box ones... and some old no namer that was a hand me down many moons ago.
THEY ALL STILL WORK.

Gave the 360 to my girl after the new 580 showed up.

PS> IF you are the lucky SOB that found my old beat up 580... Your welcome :P

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
? Re sheath ?
On a beach with my own custom Velcro strap sheath... I HAD a lanyard I made for it ...
but it was long over due of replacement... was dry rotted into 2 pieces LONG ago.
never found it hanging from the lanyard...
Never popped out... in other words.
So I never replaced lanyard.
I never even noticed it was gone till I reached for it.
Tis a mystery...
If I had to guess though...
I actually think I left it in the shower area up by the parking lot after a rinse.

NOW... new HD lanyard.
Wherever my pouch / gear belt goes... it now HAS to go with it.
Must have just spaced it.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to hear from others. I have to believe there was something wrong with the pinpointer. They all break. Ive had so much trouble with garrett pinpointers yet they remain they most popular. I could have made 3 videos showing 3 different garrett pinpointers malfunctioning.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, I wouldn't say this "Broke," it came this way. It's been a crappy detector for small foil and such out of the box. Again, it's not that the detector doesn't "work." It simply doesn't catch objects in a specific induction range.

Second, there ARE other reviews out there. I cannot link to them, because they're on other forums. But if you google search Deteknix Xpointer Wader Li, you'll find them. Here's some snippits:

"having had 2 standard xpointers which were great i decided to go for the xpointer wader
as i intend doing some shallow water detecting come the summer.
well i received my wader in double quick time and was out today with it , only to find it doesnt pick up thin foil not even with it touching the tip
is mine a lemon or is this par for the course with the wader .???"

"I have the Wader Li but haven't been out in the field with it yet. You're right it doesn't pick up very small foil but does the bigger stuff and it certainly does detect hammered coins."

There are other video reviews out there, too.

Even if there are a few "good" tests out there, I have a hard time believing mine is an isolated incident. Still can't recommend. Yes, I've had Garretts (I own 4 of them), and after a while the old black Pro-Pointers have some issues (by then, they're pretty used!)... but they worked FINE out of the box...

Just posting my results. That's it.

Fair enough. I wasn't trying to offend just an honest question. Like i said before ive personally had nothing but problems with garrett pinpointers but they seem to be the most popular. My brand new orange one is most sensitive an inch up the shaft and not on the tip. It won't see a tiny object ditectly on the tip but will an inch up the shaft.

deteknix

Jul 22, 2013
Covina, CA
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS Pro-pointer
Ace 350
White's 6000DI pro
Rangar
Tesoro Cortes
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey Skippy. Deteknix Rex here. I am sorry about your experience and that of your son as well. We are listening. We ran more tests after seeing your post. I know what you are talking about and other brands suffer the same type of reaction or lack of reaction as well. There are numerous reasons for this happening. But let's start with possibly a bad unit, maybe. Also I am not familiar with the contest because I wasn't with Deteknix yet. Here is my email. [email protected]. Go ahead and sell the Pin Pointer if you wish but I'd like you to contact me anyway. We can only make things better if we communicate.

The Deteknix line of Pin Pointers is well received and has just become the choice of a world renowned deep sea exploration team. Nothing's perfect in electronics that's for sure. Skippy , thank you for your time on this. Ii look forward to hearing. From you.

Rex

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh, heck, I'm not offended, dirtscratcher. Far from it. I think this is the healthy conversation I'd expect in a forum. I saw your question as an honest one, just as intended. In fact, I believe as a community we SHOULD be challenging and open to discussion on critical reviews. Too many of them are out there with an "agenda." (albeit mostly to sell a product, or are skewed because it was "Free" by the manufacturer)... I was SUPER excited to get the Deteknix pinpointer, and posted my original unboxing here:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/m...-arrived-today-contest-win-unboxing-pics.html

As you can see, there was some early indication that the sensitivity was "off," but I excused it as being "on par." I was REALLY excited to get that pinpointer! I've got a ways to go before my first impression isn't jaded by something "free" I guess. :)

Well. Now that the honeymoon wore off, frankly, the pinpointer is NOT on par. I really wanted to send out a fantastic review of the product, and my initial review was jaded a bit by the fact it was a contest win! Ultimately, though, the pinpointer just doesn't measure up. I'm actually trying to be as unbiased as I can in this, and ran the video so folks could see that I'm not just saying something to say it.

As for the tip detection capability, yep... but, that's pretty normal, and is even demonstrated a bit on the Garrett in the video I showed (on sensitivity 2, it shows up). It has to do with the way the induction field is formed around the device. Even understanding this, it frustrated me that I couldn't detect the ring even on the SIDES of the Deteknix (as shown in the video). And to completely miss that giant class ring? Yeah, that induction field is lacking.

My point with the video (and the Original Post) is that if folks are going to spend $129 on either a Deteknix product or a Garrett, (both waterproof), they might as well go with the Garrett! I couldn't find a good reason NOT to... but I could find plenty with why you shouldn't go with the Deteknix.

One other thing that I didn't mention in the sensitivity video (but is readily noted) is the Deteknix doesn't ever get a solid "tone" when you're touching the object. As a result of only having two beeping frequencies, you really don't know you're right next to or just close to the object... The Deteknix just kind of beeps everywhere. You can put the large coin or other object right on the pointer, and it behaves the same as if it was 2" away. The Garrett Pro Pointer and Pro Pointer AT, on the other hand, produce a Solid tone when you're in Near-Field conditions. The Garrett Pro-Pointers are FANTASTIC when you're trying to find something in the dirt or bark. The Deteknix Wader Li just isn't nearly as helpful. You only know "It's somewhere around here."

It might be different if the Wader Li was $50 cheaper... but it's not. The Deteknix XPointer Wader Li is the same price as the Garrett AT. For the same price, I'd expect the same distance in detection, the same detection ability, and the same basic functions. The only thing that's the same is the basic functions (Water proof, vibrate, sound, and orange body.) Even with those the same, The "detecting ability" of the pinpointer is far inferior to the Garrett.

Given that other folks are commonly reporting small foil problems with the Wader Li, but not with the main X-Pointer I have to assume this is design problems.

It's not just capability either, it's also longevity. Twice now, we've had to recharge the Deteknix before 2 weeks of use (nothing like failure in the field and having to "recharge" before use.. blah.) and we're only using it a couple days a week. I use the Garrett 5-6 days a week, and I don't replace the battery except every 6 weeks or so!

The Deteknix has a built in battery, but I really can't understand how a Lithium Poly battery that supposedly has 500mah, lasts literally at most 1/4 as long as a standard 9V Alkaline battery (Duracell Procell @ 550mah) or (EBL 9V 600mah) rechargable in the Garrett At. 50mah difference ought not to cut 75% of the time. There's some serious power consumption going on there, and that's odd, because the vibrate and sound seem like they're far less "intense" in the Deteknix.

All in all. I believe it's inferior for the same price point.

Since, you've got several Garrett's, is there any other tests you'd like me to perform and video?

Skippy

I took your review as a constructive one that needed to be announced. And Rex has made a professional response as well.

The Wader Li is basically new. When the Teknetics Omega 8000 came out, lot's of negative feedback as a $600 detector was so prone to EMI. FTP listened, and after SIX revisions, the problem subsided.

My point is that manufacturers cannot always send out products without an issue. They do rely in real world testing. I believe a company that listens, and continually strives for 0 issues, is the kind of company I want to promote through purchase(s).

The first XPointer had battery terminal problems. That's been fixed. Mine is almost 3 years old with 0 problems. A good investment for me.

Adding Rex to the Deteknix lineup shows an online presence that benefits the communication gap previously observed. After a slightly rough premier of the Quest Pro, Jason (Mao) has taken action to improve Deteknix with help he so desperately needed. He's been doing a lot of the work by himself. With the added personnel, it gives him more time to concentrate on the engineering and improvements that could make Deteknix a viably successful company.

I think Jason see's the success formula in the US, and is trying hard to attain it. And I, for one, am not going to try to subdue him before he gets out the gate.

Just my observations.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll reserve judgement until I see the results. Talk is cheap.....

Sherpat

Feb 3, 2016
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm the same way. Results are looking good though. I've had lots of great conversations with Rex today by e-mail. When it's appropriate, you can bet I'll share my experiences. I'm suspecting they'll be positive. Rex's engagement is pretty high. :)

Cheers,

Skippy

Any update on this, Skippy? Was the situation resolved to your satisfaction, and has it changed your original assessment of that PP?

Tom

Sherpat

Feb 3, 2016
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, nothing to update. I was told I would be contacted by Jason at the beginning of this month to do some testing for them. Haven't heard anything. I should probably reach out. My original assessment of the PP stands, though... BUT... After some lengthy conversations with Rex at Deteknix, I'm willing to allow that the problem only affected "some" of the pinpointers. There's definitely variation in product performance (even some cars are lemons), which means my data point of one, is just that... a single data point.

The pinpointer just sits on my desk at home... charged. It's fine for coins, but not great for rings and gold (which I find a decent amount of).

I was hoping to have some more input on their Quest Pro detector, or other products, but I've not been requested to assist, yet. I put 15-20 hours a week into detecting, though, and have secured a Go-Pro for when (if) products show up for testing... So... when they DO contact me, I'll be all over it. :) If I don't have any information contact from Deteknix before summer, I'll probably reinstate my videos on Youtube. (right now, they're direct link only). I'm hoping it wasn't just a ruse to get me to pull them down. I've been burned before, but Rex and Jason DO seem like stand-up guys who just got caught in bringing a new business online (very busy).

Things were very positive, and everyone deserves a second (and even third) chance. Hoping for the best.

Thanks for checking in.

Regards,

Skippy

Thanks very much for taking the time to detail all that, Skippy. I really was (and still am) curious about the matter since I'm trying to save up for a pinpointer, and there doesn't seem to be a general consensus about what brand - or even features - are most desirable. Your initial post and the subsequent follow-ups have been very enlightening, and I look forward to reading any updates you post in the future.

Thanks again!

Tom

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the OP should have contacted Deteknix rather than hang his dirty linen on the TNET line. Most all products have lemons.
Marvin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread