Always dig those deep iffy signals !

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hunting the beach dry sand/moist as i always do at night with my DFX and ran across a very iffy signal. Normally by iffy i mean unsteady ID and wavering tones and numerical ID as i circle the target. Ive learned that my shallow DFX has a maximum depth of 11" in ground on a ring or quarter size object with a custom beach program i use (PA=4, Sens=75, DC=50, Best Data...). shallow iffy signals i typically ignore especially with ferrous bar plots on the LCD. However the deep ones i never ignore ! I placed the center of my coil in the moist salty sand smack in the middle of the target and checked the "depth" sure enough 10.5", 4-5 scoops later these came up !
20160306_023008.jpg 20160306_022743.jpg

Never ignore the deep iffy signals especially at places where digging is easy such as the beach !

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ErGarber

Feb 17, 2016
Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been ignoring deep iffy signals because I have to did through rock, and then more rock.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yea, sand is so much easier to dig in and you dont have to worry about the mess you made...

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never ignore any signal on a beach! If its "iffy", scoop some sand out so you are a little closer and rescan. It will easy turn into an iron target, or solidify into a good target.

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds & congrats! Makes me reconsider those iffy signals after viewing your photos- thanks for posting.

Texas ED
S/E TexascGulf Coast

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad SouthFLdigger does well on those iffy "audio only" signals, because I do not. Most of the time I look like a dog chasing his tail and digging a crater while I'm at it. I had a bunch of high tone hits really deep and fairly close just yesterday. After a 30 minute dig, I'm sitting there looking at a hole 25" across and 16" deep...lol. At some point my brain kicked in and said "you're not going to find this tiny bit of metal...give up and move on".

I will say I dug one of my most treasured finds (a Union Navy button) by digging a very deep iffy signal. So believe him when he says "dig those iffy signals", just don't expect to find something great every time. The junk to treasure ration is high with me personally. :BangHead:

ETA: I meant to add that I dig here on my farm, so no worries about large sized holes. Just mentioning that before I get jumped by the hole police.

Last edited:

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amen brother. Dig it all, get it all. Congrats!

OP
OP
SouthFLdigger

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad SouthFLdigger does well on those iffy "audio only" signals, because I do not. Most of the time I look like a dog chasing his tail and digging a crater while I'm at it. I had a bunch of high tone hits really deep and fairly close just yesterday. After a 30 minute dig, I'm sitting there looking at a hole 25" across and 16" deep...lol. At some point my brain kicked in and said "you're not going to find this tiny bit of metal...give up and move on".

I will say I dug one of my most treasured finds (a Union Navy button) by digging a very deep iffy signal. So believe him when he says "dig those iffy signals", just don't expect to find something great every time. The junk to treasure ration is high with me personally. :BangHead:

ETA: I meant to add that I dig here on my farm, so no worries about large sized holes. Just mentioning that before I get jumped by the hole police.

I know the feeling and i have gotten pinpointing down well with my detectors because like you i have dug asteroid craters only to find the coin in the sidewall or a can a foot down :BangHead: Where soil and conditions permit i dig those. I'm jealous of the videos i see where some folks can pull out a 12" plug with 3 stabs of a spade. Like someone posted above here in South FL we have limestone boulders and gravel only 6 inches down.Usually 1/10 deep iffy signals for me have proven to be coins or good targets in my beach. I just can't in good conscience pass on a deep signal, plus its a good workout !

Last edited:

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz! Nice ring!

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep I've made some great finds over the years digging iffy targets some times broken rings or earrings or even chains or lockets.

Regards + HH

Bill

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, I just ran a search, and apparently, while the hole police get a bad rap, they do save metal detectorists lives. Clearly, in this image, the hole police showed up, only to save a detectorist who had dug too deep and couldn't climb out. MDer barely escaped his life. #MDlivesmatter #AppreciateHolePoPo .
View attachment 1282992

:)

Skippy

lol...

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never had luck with those deep iffy targets but I'll keep trying'

nice work

There are "iffy" targets and there are iffy targets. You have to know your detector to know if that iffy target is iron falsing bleeding through or if it's a target on the fringe of detection depth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread