Bombguy

Oct 22, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soveriegn GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all

Im looking for the answer to a question. Ive read all over the internet the various modes of thought on Disc and notch usage with the Soveriegn GT.

Last night, today we had a heck of a storm blow through here in texas that kept me inside. I started messing with the settings on a BENCH TEST and found that if

Vol was all the way up
Auto track -ON
thresh- barely audible
band 2
track
iron mask-ON
silent search

DISC- off
Notch- at 12-13

I was able to just about notch out a nickle....had to tweek it a bit but finally got a solid tone.

so
I was thinking, what happens if I added DISC so i did.
all the previous settings the same except

DISC was ran up to 8 and the nickle totally disappeared

So I backed the NOTCH off to about 7 and was able to clearly hear the nickle.

Question: What will I loose if i keep that Notch at 12-13 and the Disc at about 7?

thanks Bombguy

Last edited:
Upvote 0

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll more than likely miss all gold necklaces and thin bracelets. Id back off on the disc , not use the notch at all, and learn the tones. The tones will tell you everything you need to know and the meter reading is a bonus. Absolutely fantastic machines but with all the nulling that's already going on and slow recovery speed, to me its not worth the chance of masking gold.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The sov is a great machine. I agree with treasuresalvor on the settings. There are several good books on hunting with the sov. and it might pay off to get one to help familiarize yourself the machine. Once you get to know the machine you will appreciate just how good it really is. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread