ejmolitor37

Tenderfoot
Mar 9, 2016
Knxville, IA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey all, I have a BH tracker 4. From what I read in the operating manual and what I have discovered by use is, pull tabs, cans and trash in general make the same noise as nickels and from what I understand gold also makes the same tone. I run my settings as such, sensitivity about 1o clock/ 2o clock, discrimination at about 1o clock in tone mode. Now I have found about 30 pennies, and 8 quarters and 1 dime. I have begun ignoring the low tones I associate with "trash" because I wore tired of digging pop tops and not finding nickels. SO my actual question is this, should I not ignore the low note and dig everything like I have read people saying? I appreciate any help in advance.

Upvote 0

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you want to find gold rings and nickels yes, you will need to dig everything....

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unfortunately Liu21 is right. If you really want to find gold you need to dig everything... and run with no discrimination. You can safely ignore most low iron tones, although occasionally they will be a nice stainless dive watch.

It's hard work, but when you are holding that nice diamond ring in your hand, you will forget all about it and be rushing out to dig more trash.

If you are doing a quick coin shoot at the beach, or a park, and looking only for coins, yes you can ignore the middle tones and risk losing a few nickels in the process.

In general the amount of discrimination I use depends on how much time I have available to hunt. I prefer to use none if possible.

OP
OP
E

ejmolitor37

Tenderfoot
Mar 9, 2016
Knxville, IA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks very much for the advice. I kinda figured the case would be dig all tones, so that is what I will do from here on out :D I wish my detector had more than two tones to make things easier but I will do with what I have. Thanks again and happy hunting!

JoeB_OH

Dec 19, 2012
Cleveland , Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F44, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Bounty Hunter Tracker 4.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first detector was a tracker 4, I found tons of stuff with it! I probably dug or scooped (sand) a couple hundred pull tabs before I got my first Gold- (I found 3 gold rings with it).

HH!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread