D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Everyone knows the ATP works well on fresh water beaches and even in fresh water but not designed for saltwater or saltwater beaches. You have to lower the sensitivity and manually ground balance to get rid of most of the chatter. My other detector is in for repair so been using my ATP at the beach the last 10 days. I have found a sweet spot where it works pretty good by lowering the sensitivity 2 to 3 notches and messing with the ground balance until it quiets down. I was worried about depth but I dug two quarters at 11" today so that cleared up that question

Where i had it set today I seemed to recognize new bottle caps easily even though I dug them to confirm they were bottle caps. I had a really clear ring but at the end a very slight scratch and every time I heard that sound I knew it was a bottle cap. The tabs were easy because of their signature scratch. Sometimes a tab will make you think it is a nickel but not today. Nickles rang up at 54 rather than the usual 55 and new pennies rang up at 80 and dimes 80 - 81. Older corroded pennies rang up at 70 - 74. The dollar bill I found didn't ring up but a nice find.

Can't wait to get my other detector back but happy I kinda a found a sweet spot with my ATP for the beach.

The beaches where I am at are not that good. I go with hopes of finding a ring someone lost yesterday because the beaches have all been redone since Katrina.

Upvote 0

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah I used my ATP in the water about chest deep with no issues at all. Yeah it chatters but it's easy to tell the difference between chatter and a target in pro mode.

The only time I had issues was when I searched a beach loaded with chips of rust from a barge. They would give me very bouncy hits between 0 and 100... but, after recognizing that they consistently bounce, I just avoided very bouncy targets so they were just annoying but did not waste much of my time.

I now use a CZ-21 but the ATP is my backup... and it's great in the dry sand.

The only gold ring I've found so far was with my AT Pro... only silver so far with the CZ.

OP
OP
N

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I may have to try it the the water, I have had the coil immersed in water but that's all. It's warm enough now I should be able to try it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread