looking for jewelry

skeeter86

Oct 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im looking for a general purpose metal detector that is hot for gold jewelry anything that works from small to large on the freshwater sand beaches or in the dirt here along lake erie. Any suggestions are apreceated! Thanks for any info still looking for that first gold find!

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the Tesoro Tiger Shark as its also water proof to 200 feet when you get in the water. Check disc on white and yellow gold on shore. If you disc out pull tabs you'll miss 90% of rings. It can sound off on earring backs.:thumbsup:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman... you like the TTS ? this is a pulse... correct ?

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOOK INTO THE AT PRO - SOUNDS WHAT YOURE LOOKIN FOR

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman... you like the TTS ? this is a pulse... correct ?

AARC, No the Tiger Shark is the VLF. Your thinking of the Sand Shark which is a PI.:thumbsup:

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You never advised if a waterproof detector is needed, I would suggest the Teknetiks G2. Very hot on small to medium gold.

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
Any detector that describes the shape of a signal, that uses concentric coils, that has a proper all metal mode. Some Tesoros (I recommend a golden), MXT may be good, Dues may be good.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
General purpose, fresh water beach only, waterproof, these would be my choice for new machines with best listed first and if money is a factor.....
#1 Garrett AT Pro
#2 Garrett AT Gold
If price is not a factor
#1 Minelab CTX
#2 Minelab Etrac (if you don't need it to be waterproof)
#3 Minelab Explorer SE " " " " " " "
#4 XP Deus " " ": : : : ":
For a more specialized water machine with discrimination
#1 Minelab Excalibur
#2 Fisher CZ21
#3 Whites Beachhunter I.D.
Water machine without discrimination (PI type)
#1 Garrett Infinium LS
#2 Whites Dual Field
#3 Tesoro Tiger Shark (for fresh water only)
#4 Tesoro Sand Shark (for fresh or salt water)
#5 Garrett Sea Hunter
#6 J.W. Fishers Pulse 8x
This list assumes you are physically able to swing the heavier machines and that you can dig the deep targets some machines will find.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The tiger shark is a great fresh water machine, very sensitive to chains and tiny pieces of gold. And it has a lifetime warranty which has saved me hundreds of dollars

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do a lot of inland jewelry hunting and my first choice is always my Garrett AT-Gold, as it's very hot on gold jewelry, has great audio feedback, and excellent target separation. After the first 80-100 hours with it, coupled with Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones I became able to tell with about 80% (or better) accuracy between a gold ring and a pull-tab, which needless to say is a huge advantage. The great thing about hunting for jewelry (besides the jewelry) is that you also vacuum up all the coins, tokens, etc.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do a lot of inland jewelry hunting and my first choice is always my Garrett AT-Gold, as it's very hot on gold jewelry, has great audio feedback, and excellent target separation. After the first 80-100 hours with it, coupled with Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones I became able to tell with about 80% (or better) accuracy between a gold ring and a pull-tab, which needless to say is a huge advantage. The great thing about hunting for jewelry (besides the jewelry) is that you also vacuum up all the coins, tokens, etc.
How does that work? To tell whether the accuracy is 80%, you would have to dig everything to verify. If you're digging everything, who cares how accurate it is, unless you're just playing a guessing game while detecting. If you're now ignoring the 20%, you're likely missing good targets at a 1 in 5 rate.

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How does that work? To tell whether the accuracy is 80%, you would have to dig everything to verify. If you're digging everything, who cares how accurate it is, unless you're just playing a guessing game while detecting. If you're now ignoring the 20%, you're likely missing good targets at a 1 in 5 rate.

I go by both the target ID and the sound it makes -- modern pull-tabs ID’s jump ALL over the place when you scan at a 90-degree angle (on the Garrett AT-Gold and AT-Pro), and have a distinct "whine" to them (through Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones). Unless the tabs are on their side, folded in half, or cut in two, those and one or two brands that must be of a different alloy, they still fool me. I DO verify, just to be "sure," and every time I thought it was a pull-tab (modern) it has been; several thousand tabs and no jewelry or nickels (that behaved or sounded like I’ve found jewelry does), before I was confident that method was solid. The new Monster tabs and the old round "real" tabs come in like rings or a gold pendant, and not only ID solid, but sound solid too.

When I pulled an aluminum ring right beside a modern pull-tab I realized I was on to something good, as I knew it (the ring) wasn't a tab, even though it ID'ed JUST like a tab (same number), minus the jumpy target ID and it didn't have the same whine; it sounded more solid. I even found two bent up junk rings and one broken one; they still were solid, both in their ID and in their sound. Nickels are solid, and sound solid too, although for some reason some of them can give off a "growly" sound, as can some gold wrapped pendants, but again, they don't sound like a modern pull-tab...

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, in other words, if your machine says the target is bad, it's always bad, but, if it says the target is good, it sometimes is bad? You've never had a bad reading turn out to be good? When your machine says "whiny" pull tab, you ignore it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread