First time Beach Detecting, Asking for a little help please.

Fishingfromakayak

Nov 19, 2015
Mass
Detector(s) used
BH Shooter II, AT Pro, Vulcan 360
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for reading it. This summer I plan on heading to the beach for the first time metal detecting. I currently have a AT Pro. My question is how do I determine or find out which beaches will allow me to metal detect ? I plan on going early and trying to avoid people. Im not asking for your secret spots or anything like that, just generic help please...thank you for Any Help. I can go in Mass and CT.

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RTG - all the way - ive nicked and slightly bent lip on my older one prying huge rocks - but not a crack on it
and don't think it ever would - I bought a new one with stainless lip :thumbsup: and holdin up fine
if you go with a RTG - get the 2 piece travel model - it has just as much strength as the one piece - they put a thick thick sleeve in it
to keep its integrity ---they pack easily broken down in a regular large suitcase

Make sure you have a good sand scoop. My 2 cents.

View attachment 1289138

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If you really want to know for sure about metal detecting laws or lack of laws,do what I did..we are going to Miramar beach in July which is in Walton County..I looked up the County Supervisor and the Parks and Recreation Supervisor and emailed them on Detecting beaches in their county..I received an email back within a couple hours basically saying the county had no specific laws or rules on detecting on their beaches and to have fun and enjoy my stay.

Slikriktn1, A story like your example here, is often given to bolster the notion of: Simply ask the powers-that-be. Just as you have done, they'll have a story of a "yes" that they received. And the take-away is as you've implied: "See, it was a good thing I asked". Afterall, you can't argue with a "yes", right ?

But stop and think about this: What if they had told you "no", and failed to give you any reason ? I suppose you'd say that you'd email back and say "why ? Where is that written? What law do you have to cite?". Right ? And what would you do if they emailed back and said "Because we have laws that forbid harvest and remove". Or "Because we think you'll leave holes that someone could twist an ankle in". Or "because we it violates the harming of vegetation and spotted owls", etc.....

So for anyone who's gotten a "yes help yourself", yet there's also equal stories of persons who got an arbitrary no. Especially if whomever's fielding their question (if it got passed up the chain), like an archie or a lawyer, will sometimes take the easy "safe" answer. The mere fact that someone feels they need to ask, afterall, merely conjurs up the notion that something is amiss or harmful (lest why else would you be asking?). Ie.: would you think you need to ask "can I fly frisbees?".

Anyhow, the results of a "yes" or a "no" from some pencil pusher, does not, to me, mean "wow it's a good thing I asked".

OP
OP
F

Fishingfromakayak

Nov 19, 2015
Mass
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW so much great information from so many people. Iv got a lot to think about and a lot of preparation work to do before I set off on my first beach dirt fishing day. Thank you ALL,, for the help,,, im gonna read all this again and take notes :)

slikriktn1

Aug 26, 2014
Nesbit,Ms
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Model 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I never said I asked for permission...I asked what the laws and regulations pertaining to metal detecting on the beaches were.........

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Skippy, thanx for the kind words :) And slikriktn1: Yes I saw that you did not ask for their "permission". I saw that you were asking "what are the rules?".

But skippy and slikriktn1: While it's definitely an improvement to say: "What are the law/rules for md'ing" (because that puts the burden of proof on them to CITE such a rule, if it existed), yet this tactic too has sometimes gone awry.

For the reasons I gave slikriktn1: Strange answers back like:

a) yes but you can't dig [even though you NEVER mentioned "digging" in your question].

b) No because it violates harvest , remove, & take clauses.

c) No because you'll dig [even though you never mentioned dig]

d) We would prefer you didn't.

Regarding odd-ball answer (d) above: This actually happened to a guy once ! The gal's answer was as if he'd just asked her permission, even though he CLEARLY and carefully asked: "What are the laws regarding the use of metal detectors?". So the md'r steered her back to his question. He said: ".... but where is that written?" To which she then got into weird answers about how it can harm sprinklers, or violates lost & found laws, or you have to call the utility company, or need a parade permit, or ........... whatever . And sure: You can then debate him/her about the non-sensical answer. And dispute that you'll leave no trace, etc.... Sure. But seriously: Do you think you're going to win this debate ?

So while , yes, this way of wording is a vast improvement, I'd still rather look it up for myself. So here's the better-yet way of wording: "Hello. Where can I find the listing of all the city's municipal code, charter, ordinances, laws, etc....?". They will direct you to where it can be found on-line, or in a binder at city hall, or wherever.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Fishingfromakayak

Nov 19, 2015
Mass
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow guys i can believe all the great info that im getting,,,as a newbie to beach dirt fishing,,,a lot of the discussion here has been helpfull,,,,thank you ALL for the help,,,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread