Car wash/ Laundry shooting

B&E prospecting

Feb 9, 2013
So I woke up at 4:30am and couldn't get back to sleep so I read some detecting forums- nugget shooting- until 7:00 am. Temp. reached just above 40's today. We had to do laundry so I finally decided to bring my RadioShack Discovery 3000 (BH clone) to the laundry mat and check the dirt piles that they pile up from the car wash drains. I have always wanted to see what coins one can find!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1458524793.708280.jpg
15 quarters
26 pennies
2 dimes
1 nickel
3 wheat pennies 1944, 1937, 1936
1 Canadian penny
1 Canadian quarter
All in about 1 hours time!
I haven't even scratched the surface( so to speak) of years and years of untouched piles of dirt. Not too bad for the first day of the season of metal detecting. I set it on Auto Tune and adjusted the discrimination about 1/2 way and I was really amazed at the limited trash that actually sounded off. I'm glad I left the Gold Bug M-Scope at home though, that thing would've never stopped beeping!

Upvote 0

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was one gentleman who used to regularly screen the dust bins from pay car vacuums and he found coins jewelry and a bit of gold.

OP
OP
B&E prospecting

B&E prospecting

Feb 9, 2013
Nice. Ya I was trying to think of a way to screen the dirt too. It's just fun beeping over it and knowing the machine still works properly

SirWalterRaleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett pinpointer
Lesche 85 and Sampson t-handle 31"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was one gentleman who used to regularly screen the dust bins from pay car vacuums and he found coins jewelry and a bit of gold.

I recently started doing this when I couldn't go out metal detecting due to the cold weather. It can be a little gross at times but the amount of stuff you find is amazing. This one gas station vacuum cleaner close to my home gives up about $15 a month in clad

Haven't found any good jewelry yet only junkers

OP
OP
B&E prospecting

B&E prospecting

Feb 9, 2013
Joee5- yep [emoji51] it works nice for coins. It's nowhere near the quality of many of the newer models but... it was given to me by a neighbor so free is always good! Besides, with all the trash involved, I can't imagine what some of the higher end machines would behave like! Do you think they could discriminate a lot of trash? I'm curious.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B&E prospecting

B&E prospecting

Feb 9, 2013
SusanMN- Gross is right but I try not to think about what I'm digging in lol. I'm washable-gloves are a must tho.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why not I have one over 20 yrs old and it works great and once you know the sound it will find anything a $2000 detector will but not as deep and you don't know what your digging

OP
OP
B&E prospecting

B&E prospecting

Feb 9, 2013
I agree. I feel you should apply the right tool for the right job. Again my Gold Bug would've sounded off at everything under the sun(still older I admit), but it's so sensitive! My Discovery is perfect for coin/jewelry. It's not about cost of a machine or high depth or sensitivity enough for a pin head of gold! I have 4 different types and ages of detectors and each one has it's purpose. Ty for the comments

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread