Jan 1, 2015
Calvert Co Md / Atlantic NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800.Garrett AT Pro,Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Garrett Ace 250
Deteknix X pointer
Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All. I have been given a lot of solid input from this site and I find myself again reaching our for some direction. I was given a BH tracker IV as a gift. The BH opened the door and I have enjoyed the machine a great deal. The BH is a 6.8khz machine and I am looking to move up, I see lots of folks using the Garrett AT pro. so I looked up the details it appears to be twice the machine 15khz. of the tracker IV. Please enlighten me as to other machines I may be overlooking, and are there large public shows to see these machines other than the SHOT show?

Thanks in advance !

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
AT Pro is a good machine. I used one and it found good stuff. XP Deus is the way to fly... lightest, fastest and wireless.

The real difference is BH is a binary machine, it either beeps or doesn't beep. AT Pro, and most other higher end machines are proportional, they make loud beeps on shallow targets and more subtle beeps on deeper targets. This is a simplified explanation. The subtle differences in the sounds will tell you everything that you need to know... (ok, dramatic pause, wait for it)... once you "learn" the machine.

Before I bought a Deus, I contacted a guy off of TNet, in my area, that had one. He let me test drive his, prior to purchase.

PM if I can be of assistance.

Best of luck to you sir!

OP
OP
captbo

captbo

Jan 1, 2015
Detector(s) used
Deteknix X pointer
Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Carolina Tom !

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are as many choices as hunting conditions. What is your budget and what type of detecting are you planning on doing?

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Cost and areas you will hunt in are definitely top considerations to help narrow your search. I liked the AT Pro and I found gold and silver items with it.

OP
OP
captbo

captbo

Jan 1, 2015
Detector(s) used
Deteknix X pointer
Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
strictly a land machine, budget wise I am at the $500. retail point and used is ok provided its not trashed

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello All. I have been given a lot of solid input from this site and I find myself again reaching our for some direction. I was given a BH tracker IV as a gift. The BH opened the door and I have enjoyed the machine a great deal. The BH is a 6.8khz machine and I am looking to move up, I see lots of folks using the Garrett AT pro. so I looked up the details it appears to be twice the machine 15khz. of the tracker IV. Please enlighten me as to other machines I may be overlooking, and are there large public shows to see these machines other than the SHOT show?

Thanks in advance !

Just because the frequency is twice as high doesn't make it twice the machine. The Tracker IV is a beep and dig detector that's relatively inexpensive due to it's simplicity.

The more control options and better processing abilities are what increases the price (along with special considerations, like multi frequency or gold frequency).

All detectors have their strengths and all have their weaknesses. The best thing is to study both and find what makes you feel is worth the investment. When you limit the price to $500, you take out many detectors yet many good units are still in the running.

Right now, one of the best deals for a sub $500 price is the Teknetics T2 Classic. Coming from a Tracker, it may even be a bit too much.

A used AT Pro is a good detector, especially if you want to relic hunt. The Iron Audio, expanded iron range, etc. helps in target ID. If you just want coins or jewelry, my LRP can keep up with my friends AT Pro for less cost.

When you say you want to "move up", that doesn't say a lot. You could get a Tesoro Vaquero and be moving up. Almost literally twice the depth of the 6" Tracker and ground balance.

People can throw names out at you, and a Whites fan is going to say maybe CoinGT or TreasureMaster Pro because it's a Whites. You may even get a Go Find 60 thrown in from Minelab fans. Or even asked to wait for a Ace 400 by a Garrett fan or a used AT Pro. Personally, I would by new for the warranty and resale ability by trying before you fill out the warranty card.

It's hard to A=B detectors side by side (unless you live in Orlando). Most of us watch video's, talk to others with experiences and work with good dealers (which TNet has a lot). Ask about specifics, and not just a land detector. Do you hunt at night? In the rain to dig easier? Do you want to hunt relics? Coins? Jewelry? "All types of treasure hunting" could mean Meteorites, rolled coins, flea markets, etc.

Good luck, and I hope you get the right detector the first time. It took me many tries with almost a dozen over the years before I settled. Which is why I am writing this.:thumbsup:

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks in advance !

I'm a fan of most brands and don't suffer from specific maker fanboy syndrome so ill give you my 2 cents.

Gamma 6000: Deep 10" in my soil (mild) with 8" coil, fast, accurate discrimination screw bottlecaps are no problem for this unit. even with the 8" concentric which is my favorite coil for it and can be found used for $300 although i recommend new, make sure you buy the latest version.
Nokta Fors Core/Racer: very deep 12" in my soil (mild)very fast, works everywhere you go including salt water beaches takes quite a bit more use than the others mentioned to learn but once you do it is an amazing machine.
AT Pro: Deep with the large coil have not tried it in my test garden but i know it will find coins down to 10-11" down here with the large coil at max sens, fast, If i had rivers or waterways to detect in, or planned on being caught in the rain this would be my choice. The Whites MX Sport is too new to recommend.
If you want relative simplicity very good depth, speed for unmasking and like the concept of a beep and dig machine, there is no better for the money than the Vaquero from Tesoro.

All these machines are mid-grade units you can find many others cheaper that perform very well, read the forums.

Last edited:

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just because the frequency is twice as high doesn't make it twice the machine. The Tracker IV is a beep and dig detector that's relatively inexpensive due to it's simplicity.

The more control options and better processing abilities are what increases the price (along with special considerations, like multi frequency or gold frequency).

All detectors have their strengths and all have their weaknesses. The best thing is to study both and find what makes you feel is worth the investment. When you limit the price to $500, you take out many detectors yet many good units are still in the running.

Right now, one of the best deals for a sub $500 price is the Teknetics T2 Classic. Coming from a Tracker, it may even be a bit too much.

A used AT Pro is a good detector, especially if you want to relic hunt. The Iron Audio, expanded iron range, etc. helps in target ID. If you just want coins or jewelry, my LRP can keep up with my friends AT Pro for less cost.

When you say you want to "move up", that doesn't say a lot. You could get a Tesoro Vaquero and be moving up. Almost literally twice the depth of the 6" Tracker and ground balance.

People can throw names out at you, and a Whites fan is going to say maybe CoinGT or TreasureMaster Pro because it's a Whites. You may even get a Go Find 60 thrown in from Minelab fans. Or even asked to wait for a Ace 400 by a Garrett fan or a used AT Pro. Personally, I would by new for the warranty and resale ability by trying before you fill out the warranty card.

It's hard to A=B detectors side by side (unless you live in Orlando). Most of us watch video's, talk to others with experiences and work with good dealers (which TNet has a lot). Ask about specifics, and not just a land detector. Do you hunt at night? In the rain to dig easier? Do you want to hunt relics? Coins? Jewelry? "All types of treasure hunting" could mean Meteorites, rolled coins, flea markets, etc.

Good luck, and I hope you get the right detector the first time. It took me many tries with almost a dozen over the years before I settled. Which is why I am writing this.:thumbsup:

What he said

Patriot 1776

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Dec 9, 2014
MA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX and V3i, Garrett AT Pro , ACE 350, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT-Pro Great Detector

My favorite Land detector
any question call me
dennis

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like some of the others have said, do your research, talk to a cpl of vendors and go with your gut and buy new

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To be honest I don't know if I agree with the buy new idea. There are many great detectors out there you can buy used that are in great shape, some with warranty left, for a fraction of the price. I bought my CTX with 2 3/4 year warranty left, GG waterproof hp, Coiltek 10 by 5 inch coil for $1650 shipped to my door from one of the venders on here at the time(unfortunately he is no longer a vendor here). There are several gentlemen on the used detector forum here on Tnet that always have great deals and can be trusted. If the price diff wasn't so much then I would recommend new of course. Used gives you the ability to get a better detector than one can afford new. Trust me, I would have my CTX if I had to buy it new. Good luck, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread