Metal Detecting gloves

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
There was a thread on here a few months ago regarding gloves, and I cannot find it.

I was going to report back on what gloves worked for me.

I have always used whatever was handy, and I had no strong opinion as to what to wear. Sometimes I do not wear them at all, but usually regret no doing so.

Last month I was getting some gas cylinders filled, and I bought a pair of Ringers gloves. They are Roughneck Tefloc branded, and cost me 25 bucks.

These are great gloves for MDing. I like that they are high visibility, so I can find them easier.

But they are tougher than anything I have seen this side of hockey gloves!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
GA Boy, I really did not mind your post. There was some humor in it, and I think we all welcome comments when they add to our thread.

So, tell me how the following comment adds to our community in general and my thread in particular?

"Hand socks are for sissies
laughing7.gif
"

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was using the latex/rubber coated gloves. But when it's warm the latex will turn into goo in a couple of days, and they make my hands smell like ass.

Using the Mechanix Originals now with no complaints. They use a supple leather on the finger and palms. There also washable.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was using the latex/rubber coated gloves. But when it's warm the latex will turn into goo in a couple of days, and they make my hands smell like ass.

Using the Mechanix Originals now with no complaints. They use a supple leather on the finger and palms. There also washable.

Lol! They are stinky and make my hands feel clammy. I like these mechanix gloves from Walmart even though I only wear when digging deep for relic hunting. Most of my coinshooting is less than 5" deep and they usually pop out in a small plug. The mechanix gloves do allow your hands to breathe better than those rubberized gloves.

fireaero1

Jul 14, 2012
Gallitzin,pa
Detector(s) used
white eagle ll SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi all,The black nitrile gloves are very good for a all around glove in shop and out in the field. tom in central pa

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps I should have started this thread differently. I was trying to get feedback and offer opinions to the folks that do wear gloves while detecting.

If you do not wear them, that is fine. But pointing this out does not add to my thread.

It is interesting how rude people are when hiding behind the anonymity of the internet.

Where's your sense of humor??:dontknow:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not sure what part of the country you are in, (I'm 35 minutes from Palm Springs CA) but I have never had my .99 store gloves turn into goo. Detecting in 116 degree temps out here in SoCal is not uncommon for me, I guess you must be in Death Valley? Lol.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where's your sense of humor??:dontknow:

Just like anything on the internet, it's difficult to determine humor by the written word. It appears to be a snide remark. Now if you were to type "lol" or put a snickering emoji after the sentence then it would be taken in a different manner. I actually took it the same way he did.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just like anything on the internet, it's difficult to determine humor by the written word. It appears to be a snide remark. Now if you were to type "lol" or put a snickering emoji after the sentence then it would be taken in a different manner. I actually took it the same way he did.

If you will re-read my post, you will see the little guy laughing!!:laughing7:....and no I did not go back and edit it

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, sorry I missed it. Looking at the posts on my phone and he's a little guy!

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure what part of the country you are in, (I'm 35 minutes from Palm Springs CA) but I have never had my .99 store gloves turn into goo. Detecting in 116 degree temps out here in SoCal is not uncommon for me, I guess you must be in Death Valley? Lol.

Has nothing to do with heat. It has to do with Ozone and the double bonds used in making latex cheap.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has nothing to do with heat. It has to do with Ozone and the double bonds used in making latex cheap.

Ok, we must be talking about different gloves. The Lamont Wells (as seen on Diggers, lol) style gloves work just fine for me.

Fishingfromakayak

Nov 19, 2015
Mass
Detector(s) used
BH Shooter II, AT Pro, Vulcan 360
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have tried surgical gloves, didnt like them, hot and sweaty. I use mechanic gloves when hunting other then coin shooting got them at Lowes and like them, I have washed them several times and they hold up. Im not sure what I will do when beach dirt fishing.

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMAG0660.jpg
Second Vintage needle I've found. It could still penetrate my glove but cant hurt wearing them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
I have never found a needle, but that might make me wear gloves more often than not. Especially in a city park.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never found a needle, but that might make me wear gloves more often than not. Especially in a city park.

I have been poked by glass, had a 5" long centipede crawl out of a hole, been stuck by numerous thorns, and had red ants attack on more than one ocassion, not to mention being poked with the odd sharp (often rusty) metal objects. On the rare ocassion I forgot my gloves, I had a few bites on my fingers from unidentified insects. To each his own, but I will continue to use gloves

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been hunting since 1980 and have tried just about every glove out there at one time or another. So far, the ones I like best are the military mechanics gloves I found on eBay for about $15. The Ronco brand ones. Now if I could only find a place that would sell me 2 LEFT ones, as I wear those out a lot faster. 😁

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread