Metal detecting for kids - what do buy??

macphisto1993

Mar 24, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there,

My almost 9-year-old son is begging for a metal detector for his upcoming birthday in June. He got introduced to the hobby by watching YouTube videos and is just amazed at what people have found.

So, we bought him a Bounty Hunter metal detector. My question is, what other accessories would he need as I have no knowledge at all on the subject. I know that headphones are used, can you use any kind of headphones or do they need to be specifically for a metal detector? He keeps also talking about a pouch, a shovel and other stuff that people use. To begin he will be going in the large field behind our house and most likely to the beach in the summer. What are the "must haves" for metal detecting?

Thanks so much for you help! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

macphisto1993

Mar 24, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, thank you so much for the wealth of information! This helps so much and I will definitely use this as a guide. I didn't even think about the rules for digging in my city to be honest, I am so glad you mentioned that.

We just got him a basic detector for now as we want to make sure this is something he sticks with (you know how kids are). I really hope he does as I think it's a really neat hobby.

Thanks again for replying!

SirWalterRaleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett pinpointer
Lesche 85 and Sampson t-handle 31"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 10 year old step son has already out grown his bounty hunter after 6 months. He's ready for one with different tones. That being said, may I suggest tot lots and place where the digging is easy.

My step son has problems digging in tough ground

And a pinpointer is crucial

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a nail apron as my finds pouch for most sites. Trash on one side and treasure on the other. They can be bought for less than a dollar at many stores. You can get a pair of headphones from many dollar stores for $5. I keep a pair or 2 around and use them when it's to hot to put on the black widows. If you plan on taking him field hunting Walm@rt has a small shovel for under 10 bucks. I use one myself. Note if you try to pry too hard, the plastic handle can break. It's an easy fix. I just pick up old snow shovels from the curb and remove the handles as spares. You can buy a new shovel cheaper than you can get a replacement handle (go figure) :dontknow:

Good Luck and enjoy the detecting time you share with your son.

A Harbor Freight has a cheap pin pointer, Cen-Tech is the brand, it works way better than the low end Fisher and Bounty Hunter ones. They cost under $18.

I also use a knee pad on my right knee.

Last edited:

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whites silver eagle, if you can find one . My boy started with one at 5 yrs old, works great ! I used it for 15 yrs before he did---cant beat it ! :icon_thumleft:

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What Loco-Digger said. Nail apron from Home Depot, Lowes, or Hardware store, and one of your Wife's/WallyWorld garden diggers.
Advance in tools as experience grows IMO. I personally see no need for a pinpointer until he is ready for a $100.00 one, if ever.
Marvin

SirWalterRaleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett pinpointer
Lesche 85 and Sampson t-handle 31"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha, he'll be asking to use pinpointer every few minutes unless you get him his own. Trust me on that one, I know from experience

donj

Feb 13, 2011
southwestern, va.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors CoRe, garretts gti2500, gtp1350 minelab 30 whites coinmaster 3 and a DFX300.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a great hobby for the dad too. check out all the other metal detecting threads on this site so much good stuff here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread